Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Greatest Leicester City XI - Centrebacks

Defenders  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Best Centre back

• Colin Appleton
    • Graham Cross
    • Matty Elliott
    • Frank McLintock
    • John O'Neill
    • Steve Walsh

Merc

In our search for the greatest Leicester City team of all time, we today turn our attention to the back four. Firstly, we are looking for the resolute solidity you come to expect in the heart of defence and also the leadership qualities they possessed.

But we are also on the lookout for those attack-minded defenders who were always eager to get forward and with a keen eye for goal. Here is our shortlist.

1. ​5067382.jpg

Colin Appleton

• •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •
  • •

DEFENDERS

Colin Appleton

Position: Centre-back

Appearances: 333

Verdict: We start off our search for City’s finest back line with the captain of one of the most celebrated sides in the club’s history. Establishing a fearsome partnership alongside Frank McLintock, Appleton led his side to the FA Cup final in 1963. While this resulted in defeat, he did captain the club to their first-ever major trophy, the 1964 League Cup, beating Stoke in the final. He led them to the final the following year, too, scoring in the first leg, but they ultimately lost 3-2 to Chelsea.

Adam Black

Position: Right-back

Appearances: 557

Verdict: No-one in the club’s history has made more Football League appearances than Black. He plied his trade at Filbert Street for 16 seasons, picking up a Second Division winner’s medal in 1925. Despite a slight build, he was a master at the defensive game combined with great agility and movement. His failure to win a full cap for his country was scandalous.

Graham Cross

Position: Centre Back

Appearances: 599

Verdict: No list would be complete without ‘The Tank’ – the only player to outnumber Black for total number of appearances for the club. Cross was a versatile footballer who started his career as an inside-forward and could also play at right-half. It is often said that his versatility ultimately cost him an England place, despite winning 11 caps at under-23 level. With a League Cup, a Charity Shield and a Second Division title to his name, he also featured in two FA Cup finals. Cross was a naturally-gifted all-round sportsman, also representing Leicestershire at cricket between 1961 and 1977, scoring more than 2,000 first-class runs and taking 92 wickets.

Matt Elliott

Appearances: 290

Verdict: The rock-solid centre-back, almost unbeatable in the air, cost Martin O’Neill a then club-record fee of £1.6million from Oxford United in 1997. Thanks to his grandmother’s heritage, Elliott won 18 caps for Scotland, including a trademark headed goal against San Marino. His finest hour in a City shirt came in the League Cup final in 2000. Leading from the front, the skipper headed home both of his side’s goals in a 2-1 victory against Tranmere.

Frank McLintock

Appearances: 200

Verdict: All managerial short-comings aside, McLintock was the ultimate footballing defender, combining genuine class with an uncompromising toughness and resilience. Capped nine times for Scotland, it came as no surprise when Arsenal manager Billy Wright broke the bank to acquire McLintock’s services for a club record fee of £80,000. He ultimately became the club’s captain and led them to the double in 1971.

David Nish

Position: Left-back

Appearances: 272

Verdict: A cultured, attacking full-back who was experienced far beyond his years. After making his debut for City’s A side at the tender age of 15, he became the youngest-ever captain in an FA Cup final when he led the side out at Wembley in 1969, aged just 21. Despite suffering defeat at the hands of Manchester City and the relegation that followed, Nish led his side back to the top flight in 1971 by winning the Second Division. He secured five England caps as well as the 1975 Division One title – albeit it with Derby, who had signed him for a British record fee of £225,000 in 1972 – before persistent knee injuries saw him move to the less-demanding NASL in the USA.

John O’Neill

Appearances: 345

Verdict: A cool, calm and collected centre-back with a fantastic ability to read the game. O’Neill first played for City on a non-contractual basis while he finished off his economic studies at Loughborough University. The intelligent defender personified, he was part of two promotion-winning campaigns and also showed his class during two World Cup campaigns on his way to winning 39 caps for Northern Ireland.

Dennis Rofe

Position: Left-back

Appearances: 324

Verdict: Signed as a direct replacement for the departing David Nish in 1972, Rofe, while by no means as elegant and classy as his predecessor, more than made up for it with sheer determination and effort. But that is not to underplay his high technical ability, that he was very alert and strong in the tackle, always with an eye for going forward. Awarded the captaincy under Frank McLintock’s tenure before moving to Chelsea in 1980.

Peter Rodrigues

Position:@ Right-back

Appearances:@ 163

Verdict:@ On joining from Cardiff City for a record fee of £42,500 in 1965, the Welshman brought a previously-unseen attacking flair to Filbert Street. His blistering pace, willingness to overlap down the right, combined with his complete mastery of the slide tackle, he was the complete modern full-back. It was no surprise that he was capped 40 times by his country.

Steve Walsh

Appearances: 449

Verdict: There is arguably no one who has Leicester City running through their veins more so than Walsh. City’s talismanic leader captained the side to play-off victory in 1996 as well as to the League Cup title in 1997. But he was more than just the rock at the heart of defence, he was more than capable of making a difference at the other end. He scored 62 goals for the club and was even top scorer in 1992-93. No City fan will ever forget the sight of him peeling away at Wembley as his two goals against Derby in the 1994 play-off final secured the club’s place in the Premier League for the first time.

Steve Whitworth

Position: Right-back

Appearances: 400

Verdict: The effortlessly cool Ellistown lad first made his mark in a City shirt as a stand-in for the injured Peter Rodrigues during the promotion-winning side in 1970-71. Despite not scoring a league goal until his 570th appearance, Whitworth did find the net once for City, prodding home from close range to clinch the 1971 Charity Shield against Liverpool. He missed a mere three games during Jimmy Bloomfield’s six years at the helm, including a run of 198 consecutive appearances (then a club record), winning seven England caps before completing a £120,000 move to Sunderland in 1979.

Also considered, but failed to make the shortlist:

Tony James (1989-94) saw much of his career at City plagued with injury. But he was strong in the tackle and boasted an enormous throw. His goal against Oxford United essentially kept City in Division Two in the 1990-91 season.

Pontus Kaamark (1995-99) will forever be remembered for his immense man-marking of Middlesbrough’s Brazilian magician Juninho throughout both games of the 1997 League Cup final.

Russell Osman (1985-1988) spent three years at City after being a part of Bobby Robson’s 1981 UEFA Cup winning side.

John Sjoberg (1958-1972) was a consistent performer for City in partnership with Graham Cross, and was part of the Second Division title-winning side in 1971.

Gerry Taggart (1998-2004) inherited the Northern Ireland captaincy from team-mate Neil Lennon and was capped on 51 occasions. City’s player of the Season in 2000.

Steve Walsh or Matt Elliot in my lifetime. Both achieved so much, whether it be scoring in play off campaigns or cup finals. But I'm guessing if there were older generations on here, John O'Neill would be ahead. I am led to believe he was a quality defender and isn't he our most capped International player?

Walshy's two goals against Derby in the playoff final do it for me.  Yes, Elliott was better player but if we are defining greatness (and lasting through the ages) then it's Walshy.  However, if he wins, will he bleat on about it and use it as another reason he should be our manager?

Colin Appleton was a left half, not a centre back.  Ian King was the centre back and should be included in the poll.  Frank McLintock was a right half for us, don't think he ever played centre back for LCFC.  He played centre back later on for Arsenal.

Colin Appleton was a left half, not a centre back.  Ian King was the centre back and should be included in the poll.  Frank McLintock was a right half for us, don't think he ever played centre back for LCFC.  He played centre back later on for Arsenal.

I did wonder whether my memory was going as I was sure i only ever saw Appleton at left back and Ian king was the most cultured CB I've seen.

Oh well it's only a bit of nonsense anyway.

In my time Walsh and Elliott were immense but out of the two i can only really properly recall Elliott. Walsh will probably win for playing more games and being at the club longer, and generally considered a little more legendary. But Eliott played just as much as Walsh in the top tier and can be argued he achieved more with us in the Prem than Walsh did. Very hard one to call, think Elliott nicks it just.

Gerry Taggart was also a key CB in that period too lets not forget.

I agree with this, I wouldn't be surprised if Walsh got it though because of how long he was with us for.

It's the same as the Banks/Shilton thing.

Banks was the legendary figure thanks to the world cup win and "that save" but Shilton was by far the better keeper. Banks got the vote as will Walsh

I agree Ian King should be included.  He always seemed to have things under control.  Also I would have expected to see Frank McLintock as a midfielder, he and Graham Cross being the link between defence and attack in the pioneering 4-2-4 formation.  Both eventually finished up as central defenders, but for Frank that was after he moved to Arsenal.

I remember Jimmy Greaves saying something about Walshy in the League Cup Final replay v M'Boro about how his performance was the best CB performance he'd seen particularly during the closing minutes where he won absolutely everything in the air. Probably pissed as a judge but he did say it.

I did wonder whether my memory was going as I was sure i only ever saw Appleton at left back and Ian king was the most cultured CB I've seen.

Oh well it's only a bit of nonsense anyway.

Colin Appleton was a left half in the "Gillies era", and captain also for much of the time.

Banks, Chalmers, Norman, McLintock, Knapp, and Appleton, was the first defence line up I ever saw, with Ian King establishing himself some months later at centre half. He remains the this day my most respected Leicester City centre half.

Graham Cross is my choice from that list though, as King has been left out.

Archived