Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Greatness_Since_1884

Where do we still need to add?

Title explains it all. Which positions do you think this current squad is light in?

Personally I would still like another wide player as Dyer, Marshall and even Knockaert can be inconsistent and also possibly better back-up for Wood and Nuge.

I've seen a lot calling for a CM and CB but SSL & Danns can be like new signings for us. Obviously it would be preferable to get replacements on a lower wage but if we're within the parameters and cannot offload them they can still be of use.

Squad as it stands:

GK - Schmeichel, Logan

RB - De Laet, Moore

CB - Morgan, St Ledger, Whitbread, Taft?

LB - Konchesky, Bakayogo

CM - James, King, Drinkwater, Danns

WM - Knockaert, Marshall, Dyer, Gallagher

ST - Nugent, Wood, Schlupp, Vardy, Waghorn

CB and a winger for when we go 4-4-2

We have enough bloody wingers. Marshall, Knockaert, Dyer, Schlupp & Larrauri

Centre Back & Central Midfield is a must.

What about money we've got from Beckford transfer?

I still think we need a winger, Knockaert and a new winger for starting place, with Dyer and Marshall as back up. Schlupp will play up front and well I've never seen the other guy to know if he's ready for the championship tbh

We have Moore for RB and CB cover. Keep SSL and we're not too bad at the back. KONCH can cover CB if needed too.

CM is needed, we still lack a brute/hardman. DANNS should leave, he'd be better off in the circus.

A WINGER is needed, someone who hugs the touchline.

I'm not comfortable with our CF situation. Not a fan of NUGENT but when he is not there, who else do we have who can get at least 10 a season apart from WOOD?

Loan signings look likely.

Weren't people (not you) moaning that we needed wingers last season? Now with signing no one we have too many! Can we count Larrauri? Will he ever play? Does he really exist apart from on twitter and in Kingfox's mind?

What money from Beckford? Freed up wages? Not sure we got much to reinvest. ToffeeFox about said as much.

Weren't people (not you) moaning that we needed wingers last season? Now with signing no one we have too many! Can we count Larrauri? Will he ever play? Does he really exist apart from on twitter and in Kingfox's mind?

What money from Beckford? Freed up wages? Not sure we got much to reinvest. ToffeeFox about said as much.

I don't see any point in wingers, especially if we are going to try 3-5-2 a lot. I just don't think 4-4-2 is the right position anymore, we need to get players like Ben Marshall back playing well, and the only way I think we can do this, is if we play him in an attacking role in a 3-5-2. I'm more than happy with Knockaert & Dyer on the wings if we go 4-4-2, but that's just my preference. I just don't think we can afford getting another 4 players in say, realistically 2 might be our best bet, not even that. Larrauri is a skillful player, who could offer a lot if given the chance, he is one of our better young players, let's put it that way. 

I thought Bolton actually paid a fee for Beckford?

We have Moore for RB and CB cover. Keep SSL and we're not too bad at the back. KONCH can cover CB if needed too.

CM is needed, we still lack a brute/hardman. DANNS should leave, he'd be better off in the circus.

A WINGER is needed, someone who hugs the touchline.

I'm not comfortable with our CF situation. Not a fan of NUGENT but when he is not there, who else do we have who can get at least 10 a season apart from WOOD?

Loan signings look likely.

Cover is all well and good, we've got plenty of that, we just haven't got a centre back good enough to start alongside Morgan.

I don't buy this competition rubbish. Inefficient, especially when we have a dark and thunderous FFP cloud looming over us. A CB and a CM won't go amiss if we can afford to do so. But I'd rather use Danns and St. Ledger than see big earners sitting on the bench all season; might as well make the most of our big money players. Danns seems to have a decent pre-season so far from what I heard (not sure about the Saint). 

I don't see any point in wingers, especially if we are going to try 3-5-2 a lot. I just don't think 4-4-2 is the right position anymore, we need to get players like Ben Marshall back playing well, and the only way I think we can do this, is if we play him in an attacking role in a 3-5-2. I'm more than happy with Knockaert & Dyer on the wings if we go 4-4-2, but that's just my preference. I just don't think we can afford getting another 4 players in say, realistically 2 might be our best bet, not even that. Larrauri is a skillful player, who could offer a lot if given the chance, he is one of our better young players, let's put it that way.

all the transfer fee went straight to Everton

I think even if we are going to play a different formation it's important to have other options. 3-5-2 might not work, or maybe it will work but not in every game. Orthodox wingers are the perfect kind of player to bring on when you're chasing the game, Marshall and Dyer can both do that on their day but I'm not sure I entirely trust them.

I think the opposite of you - for me Knocky is just not a winger, he's not that kind of player. He's clearly too slow and his game is not direct enough, his range of passing and style of dribbling is more suited to a creative central role. Marshall on the other hand clearly is a winger, he's quick and is at his best when he's creating a yard/beating a man on the wing and delivering crosses. He's just not been good enough over the last season.

If we were to play a 4-4-2 I'd think it essential we got a winger.

But I'd rather use Danns and St. Ledger than see big earners sitting on the bench all season; might as well make the most of our big money players.

But St Ledger and Danns are big earners, and they will more than likely be sitting on the bench. 

all the transfer fee went straight to Everton

Really great  :angry:

Centre back is crucial, pity we missed Baptiste, someone like Ake on loan would do.

Need a hardman in midfield to break the game down when we are struggling to control a game through our more technically gifted midfielders.

Think we could sell Futacs and Vardy and still have enough cover upfront through Nugent, Wood, Waghorn and Schlupp.

I think even if we are going to play a different formation it's important to have other options. 3-5-2 might not work, or maybe it will work but not in every game. Orthodox wingers are the perfect kind of player to bring on when you're chasing the game, Marshall and Dyer can both do that on their day but I'm not sure I entirely trust them.

I think the opposite of you - for me Knocky is just not a winger, he's not that kind of player. He's clearly too slow and his game is not direct enough, his range of passing and style of dribbling is more suited to a creative central role. Marshall on the other hand clearly is a winger, he's quick and is at his best when he's creating a yard/beating a man on the wing and delivering crosses. He's just not been good enough over the last season.

If we were to play a 4-4-2 I'd think it essential we got a winger.

Haha, and of course I think differently. 

I just don't think we are capable of getting four players, and I would make a centre back and central midfielder more of a priority than another winger.

For me Knockaert is a winger, but will also be capable of being a creative midfielder, he impressed last season and in every game he was put on the wing, there are a lot of wingers out there like Knockaert. He impressed last season, from the wing position so I don't think he is that bad there.

Marshall for me is not a winger, yes he is direct and can put in a good cross, but what did he produce other than that...nothing. I have mentioned this loads of times before, but at the end of 11/12 season when we had nothing to play for, we let Marshall roam and play the free role, in which he looked very dangerous and was linking really well with his team mates. I believe on that note, we can get a lot out of him if we play him in a 3-5-2, but more as an attacking midfielder. Just looking at the games in the 11/12 season, it was the Doncaster game where we won 4-0 & Ipswich away, Marshall came inside more, was given time to roam and link and scored in both those games because of it, trust me  :thumbup:

Centre back is crucial, pity we missed Baptiste, someone like Ake on loan would do.

Need a hardman in midfield to break the game down when we are struggling to control a game through our more technically gifted midfielders.

Think we could sell Futacs and Vardy and still have enough cover upfront through Nugent, Wood, Waghorn and Schlupp.

Futacs yes. Vardy no. I think he will chip in a few this season and is a decent squad and cover player. Waggy looking sharp actually. Looks to have lost some weight and his finishes have been confident and instinctive.

After watching PV game, I'd say SSL is looking weak. His passing and some positioning was terrible. Case in point, the hospital ball to Morgan early on. In a league game that would have been severely punished.

I'm also thinking Danns has a part to play too this season. Especially if we stick to 352. I think Pearson will play a combination of 352 and 442 this season. It covers our weak areas well - down the middle in MF as well as our lack of pace at CB. The extra body in MF will make up for the lack of a "hard man" and 3 at the back helps us against those breakaway goals we conceded last season (Watford, Cardiff at home and the Morgan red card v Millwall). I think in RDL and Schlupp/Bakayogo he has some decent wing backs but if they aren't available he'll go 442

Haha, and of course I think differently. 

I just don't think we are capable of getting four players, and I would make a centre back and central midfielder more of a priority than another winger.

For me Knockaert is a winger, but will also be capable of being a creative midfielder, he impressed last season and in every game he was put on the wing, there are a lot of wingers out there like Knockaert. He impressed last season, from the wing position so I don't think he is that bad there.

Marshall for me is not a winger, yes he is direct and can put in a good cross, but what did he produce other than that...nothing. I have mentioned this loads of times before, but at the end of 11/12 season when we had nothing to play for, we let Marshall roam and play the free role, in which he looked very dangerous and was linking really well with his team mates. I believe on that note, we can get a lot out of him if we play him in a 3-5-2, but more as an attacking midfielder. Just looking at the games in the 11/12 season, it was the Doncaster game where we won 4-0 & Ipswich away, Marshall came inside more, was given time to roam and link and scored in both those games because of it, trust me  :thumbup:

Marshall was looking his best in the first few games of last season for me, when he was played wide and was putting in all sorts of crosses. He was fantastic against Blackpool on TV and the perfect example of his assets is Nugent's header v Derby at home. He'd just come off the bench, he skinned someone on the wing and put in a beauty of a cross in the blink of an eye. This is the kind of thing we saw from him time after time in the first few games of the season, check the highlights of Peterbrough, Charlton, Blackburn, Blackpool - there's examples on all of them (you need to tape it all off the TV like obsessive moi ;) ). In every game a peach of a cross/cut back of his led to or nearly led to a goal. After the international break he lost form and did nothing for most of the season, but that's not because he was out of position.

He doesn't have the close control or quick thinking and vision to play in the centre like Knocky, who is wasted on the wing. I really can hardly remember Knocky cutting back a cross from the corner or near the by-line, most of his highlights are from coming inside to shoot or play a killer pass. That's not to say he's awful on the wing, it's just not his best position. He generally looks to come inside so why not play him there?

I agree with you it does look unlikely we'll get 4 players, and a winger is certainly not as essential as a centre back or even another striker. :thumbup:

Marshall was looking his best in the first few games of last season for me, when he was played wide and was putting in all sorts of crosses. He was fantastic against Blackpool on TV and the perfect example of his assets is Nugent's header v Derby at home. He'd just come off the bench, he skinned someone on the wing and put in a beauty of a cross in the blink of an eye. This is the kind of thing we saw from him time after time in the first few games of the season, check the highlights of Peterbrough, Charlton, Blackburn, Blackpool - there's examples on all of them. In every game a peach of a cross/cut back of his led to or nearly led to a goal. After the international break he lost form and did nothing for most of the season, but that's not because he was out of position.

He doesn't have the close control or quick thinking and vision to play in the centre like Knocky, who is wasted on the wing. I really can hardly remember Knocky cutting back a cross from the corner or near the by-line, most of his highlights are from coming inside to shoot or play a killer pass. That's not to say he's awful on the wing, it's just not his best position. He generally looks to come inside so why not play him there?

I agree with you it does look unlikely we'll get 4 players, and a winger is certainly not as essential as a centre back or even another striker.

I would disagree regarding Marshall. IMO, he is one of the most flexible members of the squad. He has the main attributes to play on either wing, centre midfield in a 5 man midfield and even right back. He might not have blistering pace but he has excellent quality on the ball, similar to an in-form Gallagher except Marshall's work rate and defensive qualities are much greater. Marshall was hindered this year by having to cover Konchesky for half the season. An example of Marshall working well in a midfield 5 would be Blackpool away last season, him, King and James complemented each other very well in an attacking 4-3-3 and even though he may not have done much on the ball, his positioning, closing down and movement constantly pressured Blackpool's defence and constantly allowed us to retain possession. Obviously, Knockaert is a better option in that position but to say Marshall couldn't play 'in the hole' is not correct.

Larrauri won't be near the first team this season.

Think we need a centre back more than anything.

Archived