Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

"Stability" and Peter Hodge

I freely admit this isn't terrifically scientific but having found that successful managers (and unsuccessful ones too) tend to have a near immediate impact on their respective team in recent seasons I thought I'd quickly look and see if we at City have ever bucked that trend.

Peter Hodge, who took five seasons to build a promotion winning side and style, aside no other City boss has really 'built' a successful side. Nearly every single manager who has achieved anything at City, did so within 2 seasons (Norman Bullock did it in 3).

I can only think of West Ham as an example of a club who've historically been a stable club (i.e. regularly winning something outside the first two years of a managers reign). Can anyone think of any more?

Alex Ferguson?

( I understand he isn't technically a football club, but it did take him a few years to get on the right track..)

As "United" Busby won the FA Cup after 2 seasons, the 'longest' it took other than Fergie is Earnest Magnell who took FIVE!

Guest MattP

As "United" Busby won the FA Cup after 2 seasons, the 'longest' it took other than Fergie is Earnest Magnell who took FIVE!

I'm sure they didn't mind 5 years of nothing for what happened in the next 20.

Very few managers get the chance build a team  to win things.

Most managers only get a couple of seasons at best , and one or two of those teams with a relatively new manager ( most teams) will invariably win something , but most won't , 

Might not be classed as winning things but I think Curbishly at Charlton, George Burley at Ipswich both took a while to get their teams promoted and turned them into decent premier league teams for a time.

It has and will become rarer for someone to achieve over a period of time, because they simply don't get it.

The average tenure of a manager in the championship is currently 1.06 years, so it's not exactly a surprise you need to go back quite far to find people who achieved over time.

Between May 2012 and May 2013 there were 23 managerial changes in the championship alone. With only 3 teams getting promoted there are more managers getting replaced that don't go up compared to those that do.

Might not be classed as winning things but I think Curbishly at Charlton, George Burley at Ipswich both took a while to get their teams promoted and turned them into decent premier league teams for a time.

Well, one year in Burley's case.

Curbishley took sole charge in June 1995 so two full seasons resulted in promotion in 1997/8, Burley though did take a long while to achieve promotion.

Guest MattP

I really hope I'm proved wrong but I genuinely think Pearson won't get us promoted even if he is given 5 years of trying

Given the restrictions on us I think anyone is going to struggle in the next five years.

Archived