Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Penalty Taker

Who should take out penalty's?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take our penalty's?

• Nugent
    • Wood
    • Vardy
    • Waghorn
    • King
    • Knockaert
    • James
    • Marshall
    • Drinkwater
    • Konchesky
    • Other

Wouldn't have Konchesky. I don't feel confident with most left footed penalty takers.

Honestly sounds bizarre but telling you its true. Knocky is left footed.and im sure the Brentford guy was a lefty too.

Baines and RvP are probably the two best penalty takers in the PL at the moment. Pretty sure I once read Gareth Barry has one of the best conversion rates ever in the Prem too. All lefties. 

Baines and RvP are probably the two best penalty takers in the PL at the moment. Pretty sure I once read Gareth Barry has one of the best conversion rates ever in the Prem too. All lefties.

I don't mean all leftys i did say mostly, i just honestly don't rate most of them. Sure i have heard a manager say the same too.

I don't mean all leftys i did say mostly, i just honestly don't rate most of them. Sure i have heard a manager say the same too.

Fair enough. I've never really considered it before, probably be one of those annoying things at the back of my mind every time I see a left footed player take a penalty now though, haha. 

Tim Vickery (BBC South American football correspondent) has a weird thing about it.

It's clearly bollocks. Which is a shame because I agree with most other stuff he says, or at least find it interesting.

It's the fact that if you assume the majority of people are right handed/footed, left footed players are at a disadvantage! A great motto for taking penalties is 'never shoot across your body.' This means a right footed player would naturally go to the right, (the keepers left). Now assuming most keepers are right handed, they should prefer, and be more capable of diving to their right. Meaning a right footed penalty taker is shooting towards the keepers weaker side.

A lot of ifs and buts, although this could be the reason left footers aren't favoured by some people.

It's the fact that if you assume the majority of people are right handed/footed, left footed players are at a disadvantage! A great motto for taking penalties is 'never shoot across your body.' This means a right footed player would naturally go to the right, (the keepers left). Now assuming most keepers are right handed, they should prefer, and be more capable of diving to their right. Meaning a right footed penalty taker is shooting towards the keepers weaker side.

A lot of ifs and buts, although this could be the reason left footers aren't favoured by some people.

As a keeper I'm actually more comfortable with diving to my left despite being right handed, as it means I launch mainly off my (stronger) right foot. Not sure if it's the same for all keepers, but it does put me at an advantage when most penalty takers follow the same rules as you do and shoot to my left. Do agree that shooting across your body for a penalty is a bit awkward, though.

As for the question itself, we should have a designated taker and hierarchy. Who it is should be decided amongst the team/manager and made clear. My personal choice would be Nuge, but as long as there is clarity I'm happy.

The two main forwards - Nugent and Wood - should set an example and lead the way.

I never understood why strikers can be fearful of penalties when it is their main objective during a game to score goals.

Other than that, the captain should always be first on the penalty shootout candidates list, although I don't know how good Morgan is at aiming with his feet.

As a keeper I'm actually more comfortable with diving to my left despite being right handed, as it means I launch mainly off my (stronger) right foot. Not sure if it's the same for all keepers, but it does put me at an advantage when most penalty takers follow the same rules as you do and shoot to my left. Do agree that shooting across your body for a penalty is a bit awkward, though.

As for the question itself, we should have a designated taker and hierarchy. Who it is should be decided amongst the team/manager and made clear. My personal choice would be Nuge, but as long as there is clarity I'm happy.

I'd imagine, naturally that whichever way you dive you'll naturally launch from your right foot. The only reason I say this is because I'm sure diving right, keepers launch from their right foot, and taking your comment into consideration. Although I'm not a keeper so you're more knowledgeable on the subject.

They're all pro's... the strikers and midfielders should be capable of hitting the ball accurately from 12 yards. If not, practise. 10 mins at the end of each training session for one or two individuals would be common sense surely!

I'd imagine, naturally that whichever way you dive you'll naturally launch from your right foot. The only reason I say this is because I'm sure diving right, keepers launch from their right foot, and taking your comment into consideration. Although I'm not a keeper so you're more knowledgeable on the subject.

They're all pro's... the strikers and midfielders should be capable of hitting the ball accurately from 12 yards. If not, practise. 10 mins at the end of each training session for one or two individuals would be common sense surely!

It's an interesting one. I just feel more comfortable having my 'launch' foot on the outside as it allows you to stretch it more as you move to go down and brings more power and speed into the dive, so going to my left seems more comfortable. Other keepers might think differently, though.

It's an interesting one. I just feel more comfortable having my 'launch' foot on the outside as it allows you to stretch it more as you move to go down and brings more power and speed into the dive, so going to my left seems more comfortable. Other keepers might think differently, though.

You're probably right mate, I suppose penalty saves are generally bottom corner, where as in open play the keepers longest reach comes from the top arm, which differs from penalties!

Archived