Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Holiday Inn now encouraging away supports to drink there before games?

Really couldnt help but notice this on Sunday walking to the ground. I've honestly never seen that place so full of away support before, and zero police presence if something went pear shaped. I dont know about anybody else but I was a bit shocked about this. A pub that close to the ground full of away supporters, that all the Leicester fans have to walk past is just asking for trouble imo. The most shocking part was the lack of police.

was it the holiday inn, thought they had banned us, was it the place next door, always been full on matchdays, although did seem to be more away fans than normal, prob due to it being a sunday, I guess a lot came by coach and got dropped at the ground.

Not sure if I'm being overly relaxed, I don't see a great deal wrong with it. Surely we are at the day and age where sets of fans can drink together, its also a holiday inn, not a pub where you would find a hardcore set of fans. With it being so close to the stadium as well in sure there was a police presence that would be there within a matter of seconds. I quite enjoy a drink with my mates and opposing fans.

Don't get me wrong, ive got nothing against rival fans drinking in the same place before the game. Was just a bit shocked at the complete lack of police outside the place. Whenever we've gone to away games were herded in by police and horses, but a bar thats that close to the ground you'd expect at least some to be present. Could have very easily gone pear shaped.

According to a few lads I know who were swigging in there around 50 Leeds fans can in chanting and started drinking. No real biggie.

It's just usually away fans tend to steer clear of there as it's full of blue and white.

So what? Away fans have been in both pubs next to the ground for years!!! I've had some real good banter with loads of away fans there! Why do people think it is a bad thing for away supporters to drink there? Surely we are no longer living in the 70's? I can't remember one problem in either pub! The Leeds fans certainly didn't cause an issue!

It shouldn't be a big deal .... but if away fans start to congregate there regularly then it will surely get damaged one day.

Seems a very daft risk by the management of the hotel.

The amount they charge for their ale, they'll be absolutely coining it. It's a calculated risk, they won't mind paying for a bit of damage once a season if the place is packed to the rafters with fans drinking 4-5 pints before kick off every other week.

The police are completely aware of how many away fans are in each pub prior to matches and will deploy resources as appropriate. If there ia a group of fans in a pub not usually used by away fans then they will be left alone if they are just having pre match drinks. Why deploy to places where it is unlikely to kick off. You have to remember there are only amount of fans from an club who ar likely to case disorder and I is these who get the most interest. Normal fans enjoying themselves present no problem and should not be overly policed for n reason.

The police are completely aware of how many away fans are in each pub prior to matches and will deploy resources as appropriate. If there ia a group of fans in a pub not usually used by away fans then they will be left alone if they are just having pre match drinks. Why deploy to places where it is unlikely to kick off. You have to remember there are only amount of fans from an club who ar likely to case disorder and I is these who get the most interest. Normal fans enjoying themselves present no problem and should not be overly policed for n reason.

That's right. Think how many times youve said to your mate at an away game, 'here's the OB, what are they here for?'

There's times when they escalate matters IMO.

I'm no riot expert but isn't there a possibility that telling people they can't drink in a certain place just because of where they are from and the colour of their shirt just as likely to cause a riot as just allowing people to have a friendly drink in there?

I'm no riot expert but isn't there a possibility that telling people they can't drink in a certain place just because of where they are from and the colour of their shirt just as likely to cause a riot as just allowing people to have a friendly drink in there?

There aren't many pubs anywhere next to a ground that will allow away fans in ..... right or wrong ..... Calculated risk i guess.

We all suffer because of the few who caused so much trouble years ago that's what is so wrong. Image going to a pub any other tine and being refused entry because you were wearing a certain article of clothing. There would be public outcry and the place would be boycotted and go out of business.

It's much better than it used to be but there are still a lot of assumptions made.

I remember the heady days of League One particularly going to Cheltenham on the train we arrived at the station before the game and the police were waiting for us, but what did they do, handed out maps of the City centre with the pubs marked on it now that is how it should be. Not like the dim and distant days of the past where you were herded around like cattle.

So the upshot is no trouble no problems but over reaction by a city fan.

Usual story on foxestalk then lol

Not really an over reaction, as I said earlier I don't mind rival fans drinking in the same place before games at all. People kind of put words in my mouth with that one. I've just never seen that place rammed with so many away supporters before and thought it was a bit odd nobody was keeping an eye on them. The Leeds supporters wernt exactly being low key about it.

Not really an over reaction, as I said earlier I don't mind rival fans drinking in the same place before games at all. People kind of put words in my mouth with that one. I've just never seen that place rammed with so many away supporters before and thought it was a bit odd nobody was keeping an eye on them. The Leeds supporters wernt exactly being low key about it.

Stop over reacting to a problem that isn't there. You appear paranoid about away fans being allowed to drink, without the presence of police officers.

Archived