Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manchesterred

Matty James Red Card

Hi I've been looking everywhere for video footage of the Matty James red card incident. I've since spoken to a source close to Matty And and viewed the Pearson interview. Both think it's a ridiculous decision but I was away when it happened and would like to make my own mind up. Does anyone have a link to the first yellow and the red?

His first yellow was his first tackle of the game, and certainly didn't warrant a yellow card. The referee didn't think and went straight for his pocket, which is the difference with Premier League referees. 

The Charlton player, Jackson I think it was, got away with his first challenge. Ridiculous. One of their players even went in two footed (or it looked that way from the stand) and Deadman did his usual 'play on because it's not a Charlton player that's down'.

Can't understand it.  The official video on Player is very short.  In particular, it doesn't show James' first booking, and the sending-off offence has been edited out;  no view of Drinky's near miss that preceded it, nor of the tackle on James or his reaction;  it only comes in as the ref is brandishing the red card.

Pretty poor really. First tackle simply wasn't a booking and I feel that referees should give players a stern warning rather than a booking if they talk back in the manner James did. Realise that it can be an emotional game and the player probably doesn't mean to cause trouble and is just frustrated. One firm talking to and then he knows what's what.

Never got any sympathy for players who get disciplined for talking back to an official.

Every other professional in other sports seems to manage not to do it, control yourself.

Never got any sympathy for players who get disciplined for talking back to an official.

Every other professional in other sports seems to manage not to do it, control yourself.

He wasn't booked for talking to the ref though - the booking was for "running at the ref in an aggressive manner".

He wasn't booked for talking to the ref though - the booking was for "running at the ref in an aggressive manner".

Really? Didn't even realise that was in the rules now.

Lesson learnt hopefully, also shows why it's so important players are up to date with the laws of the game if they can be booked for that.

Really? Didn't even realise that was in the rules now.

Lesson learnt hopefully, also shows why it's so important players are up to date with the laws of the game if they can be booked for that.

The source I spoke to said in the changing rooms after being marched down the tunnel he was angry and confused! as was the management staff. He said that not once did Matty swear at the referee nor cause harm to anyone, it was due to the manner in which he ran to apeal the penalty.

After listening to pearsons interview he too said the 4th official could only come up with the manner in which he ran. How long has this booking offence been in the game? And also if he was booked for a furious run it's pathetic. When u see the likes of Rooney in an England shirt get pushed off the ball quite easily he picks himself up and chases the ball like a mad man. Would that not be considered a furious run?

The source I spoke to said in the changing rooms after being marched down the tunnel he was angry and confused! as was the management staff. He said that not once did Matty swear at the referee nor cause harm to anyone, it was due to the manner in which he ran to apeal the penalty.

After listening to pearsons interview he too said the 4th official could only come up with the manner in which he ran. How long has this booking offence been in the game? And also if he was booked for a furious run it's pathetic. When u see the likes of Rooney in an England shirt get pushed off the ball quite easily he picks himself up and chases the ball like a mad man. Would that not be considered a furious run?

It needs to be clarified that's for sure. If you can be booked for that players need to know.

I have no problem with it if they want too, you wouldn't run at someone in the street, you wouldn't run at a work colleague who had done something wrong so you don't run aggressively at an official.

Rules need to be set in stone though, personally I'd like only the captain be allowed to speak to the official, that would stop it like a shot.

He must have said something mind whatever he was actually sent off for.

I've never seen a player in 25 years of watching football 'aggressively' run over to the referee and then stand there next to them with their mouth shut.

I've never seen a player in 25 years of watching football 'aggressively' run over to the referee and then stand there next to them with their mouth shut.

No but it is possible to run up to the referee aggressively, and ask why the decision wasnt given.(without swearing) Surely you can't be sent off for asking why wasnt it a penalty?

This is how I interpreted it.

The ref obviously didn't think it was a penalty and could have interpreted it as a dive, perhaps the ref let him off that. However, when he ran at him, I can imagine he thought, "Ok pal if you want to play that way, have another yellow."

He must have said something mind whatever he was actually sent off for.

He didn't say anything to the ref, didnt swear, didnt raise his voice or anything. The ref booked him for the way Matty walked up to him, im not even joking.

No but it is possible to run up to the referee aggressively, and ask why the decision wasnt given.(without swearing) Surely you can't be sent off for asking why wasnt it a penalty?

He didn't say anything to the ref, didnt swear, didnt raise his voice or anything. The ref booked him for the way Matty walked up to him, im not even joking.

None of us have any evidence of what happened.

The fact some are saying he ran up to the ref and some are saying he walked says it all, if we can't agree on that how can we agree on what he actually said or didn't say.

Just be a professional, don't speak to the official and you won't get disciplined, it works in boxing, rugby, cricket, hockey and many others, it really isn't that hard.

Archived