Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manchesterred

Matty James Red Card

It needs to be clarified that's for sure. If you can be booked for that players need to know.

I have no problem with it if they want too, you wouldn't run at someone in the street, you wouldn't run at a work colleague who had done something wrong so you don't run aggressively at an official.

Rules need to be set in stone though, personally I'd like only the captain be allowed to speak to the official, that would stop it like a shot.

Awful comparison, you wouldn't blast a ball at them either. Why not just take all the passion out of the game and have all the players run around with their fingers on their lips and ban goal celebrations too. 

Awful comparison, you wouldn't blast a ball at them either. Why not just take all the passion out of the game and have all the players run around with their fingers on their lips and ban goal celebrations too. 

I'm talking about referees not players. You wouldn't blast a ball at a referee, if you did you would be sent off.

If you really can't realise I'm referring to the officials instead of players then I give up.

And what the fcuk has goal celebrations got to do with anything?

http://youtu.be/f617KpffEDg

Can't win them all

Looks a very odd foul on James, he looks like he goes sliding in for the ball, but I wouldn't say he has approached the ref aggressively, not like Kasper for their second, that was probably a booking.

The problem is that so much worse than that has gone unpunished for years, no problem with refs taking a hard line on it, just bloody typical that the refs start punishing it against us.

First yellow never should have been though.

I'm talking about referees not players. You wouldn't blast a ball at a referee, if you did you would be sent off.

If you really can't realise I'm referring to the officials instead of players then I give up.

And what the fcuk has goal celebrations got to do with anything?

You seem to have also missed my point that comparing a football match to an everyday office situation is ridiculous.

The point about goal celebrations is to reiterate the fact that you suggesting that players shouldn't be allowed to run 'aggressively' at the officials is also ridiculous and take the passion out of the game.

I posted on Sunday that neither BBC nor LCFC highlights show the foul on James only sending off.

Refs must be protected through careful editing!

It annoys me, as it does every fan and probably every manager in the Country, how well referees are protected. As Pearson himself said, managers have to be accountable for their errors (why the team lost) and players even give post match interviews, yet referees are away after the match is finished. 

And what even happens when they get assessed bad? They get punished? They get dropped down a division for a week. What does that achieve apart from the same referee conning Tranmere out of three points at Coventry? 

The rules need to be set. Everyone needs to know them. And above all, the referees need to be consistent! I will accept a referee is poor, as long as he is consistent throughout the game, and the referee on Saturday, Mr. Deadman, was not consistent enough and he gave everything Charlton's way. In all my years of watching Leicester City, I've never seen a referee be one-sided to us, like he was to Charlton Atheltic. 

I know players shouldn't argue back, but in the heat of the match, they will say things. Something will be bad, some might be small and petty, but I don't image most players are horrible people. I certainly don't see Matt James as a horrible person, I just imagine, like everyone connected with Leicester City FC, that he was frustrated with not getting a penalty when it did look like one at the time (I haven't seen the highlight since, does it exist?).

Then why didn't he book/send him off straight the way then? He ran over but it wasn't too he was walking next to the referee that he decided to get his card out

How do I know? I spoke directly with Steve Walsg after the game and he told me this. Manchesterred has said pretty much the same thing too!

You seem to have also missed my point that comparing a football match to an everyday office situation is ridiculous.

The point about goal celebrations is to reiterate the fact that you suggesting that players shouldn't be allowed to run 'aggressively' at the officials is also ridiculous and take the passion out of the game.

Runs at players, run at fans, run down the tunnel, run at your manager. Run at everything you want until your heart is content but you don't run at the one man who can remove you from the pitch if he sees you as behaving aggressive towards him.

I can honestly say I've never heard running at the ref being described as passionate. By your logic every other sport in the World has no passion as they don't charge at referees.

The best thing about going on a winning run is that you don't hear a peep bout referees through the whole of it, even when you get one as bad as that one in the Birmingham game, when you lose it becomes the focus of attention again, I swear no football team has ever lost a match fairly.

How do I know? I spoke directly with Steve Walsg after the game and he told me this. Manchesterred has said pretty much the same thing too!

You might be right but who is to say he is telling the truth?, I've been sat near the side of the pitch and heard our players swearing at officials numerous times over the last few years and I'm sure were they disciplined for it they would tell the manager they didn't say anything.

Despite what people think about refs they don't want to send players off for nothing.

You might be right but who is to say he is telling the truth?, I've been sat near the side of the pitch and heard our players swearing at officials numerous times over the last few years and I'm sure were they disciplined for it they would tell the manager they didn't say anything.

Despite what people think about refs they don't want to send players off for nothing.

No your right it probably costs quite bit

There is that, but Kasper Said it on the radio as well!

There is that, but Kasper Said it on the radio as well!

He might be right but I can't take it as gospel, the only ones who really know the whole 100% truth are Matty James and the referee.

The referees do need sorting out in this division though, the standard in the games I have seen have been absolutely appalling and they seem to get worse every year.

The problem is not that James got carded but that so many players don't for similar/much worse displays of aggression and swearing.

Yet again it's the inconsistency.

The same can be said for charges against managers.

Looks a very odd foul on James, he looks like he goes sliding in for the ball, but I wouldn't say he has approached the ref aggressively, not like Kasper for their second, that was probably a booking.

The problem is that so much worse than that has gone unpunished for years, no problem with refs taking a hard line on it, just bloody typical that the refs start punishing it against us.

First yellow never should have been though.

Well it doesn`t look a penalty or free kick to me, on that video.

I wouldn`t say James ran at the ref in an aggressive manner either, so if he got  the yellow card for that it was harsh.

Well it doesn`t look a penalty or free kick to me, on that video.

Nor me, looks an accidental tangling of legs more than anything.

Come on! How can anyone claim that, that isn't a foul? He takes his feat from him, accidentally or not it is a blatant foul. The referee is also in a great position to see it! Terrible decision!

To then send a player off for what you can clearly see him saying as "why?" And then " what is that for?" Is equally terrible. The ref flat out refuses to give him an explanation.

The reason we still have arguments in the game is because refs do not talk to playersand explain decision. Rugby, hockey etc all have this in place and the refs conversations are recorded for future review if ever necessary. Refs in this league won't agree to that though because they know it'll reveal their lack of knowledge of the game.

As for the guy saying "I swear no one ever loses fairly" if we had lost fairly then I wouldn't be talking about this, are you seriously saying that neither situation in that game are fouls? If you are then I'm sorry but your clearly wrong. :).

As for the guy saying "I swear no one ever loses fairly" if we had lost fairly then I wouldn't be talking about this, are you seriously saying that neither situation in that game are fouls? If you are then I'm sorry but your clearly wrong. :).

Of course you wouldn't, when we win refs don't get mentioned.

The first one is a tangle of legs, I'm not 1005 on the laws so if James is in front and that makes it a foul then I'll take Kitch's word for it and you can probably give that.

None of us can tell from the TV replay if the second goal is a foul or not. Impossible. As a striker myself his arms don't look to be in contact and he looks like he has hung in the air pretty damn well, more down to our substandard (again) defending at set pieces as is evident in the first goal as well.

It struck me as a silly red card from both James' and the referee's perspective. If he was sent off for his actions then from the games I saw this weekend alone 5 or 6 players should have been booked for theirs as well. However I've seen the way Knockaert addresses referees and he has been very lucky in the past, so it probably evens out over time.

I remember this referee cropping up after a Sheffield Wednesday game and Dave Jones saying something like 'he was waiting all day to do something daft, and then lo and behold that's what he did'. And I also remember that Cov game. If we can't do our homework on referees, which I've known to happen even at Sunday league level, and behave accordingly - then we probably deserve to go down to ten men.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this referee should ever be let loose on a pitch again.

I wasn't there and I've only seen the video posted in the link above but.....

he WASN'T cautioned for swearing.  That's a straight red.

He may have been cautioned for

Unsporting sporting behaviour or dissent by word or action

I doubt it was persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
It wasn't delaying the restart of play
It wasn't failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a cornerkick, free kick or throw-in
It wasn't entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
It wasn't deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission

The refs reaction strikes me that he has had an afternoon of earole bending from the Leicester players, some of which he may well have brought on himself by poor decisions.  Ive been there, one mistake early on and one team questions every decision from then on.  You can have a word with a player/team, often it is a 3 stage response.  Quiet word one to one, public word often with the captain and then caution the next player the questions anything.

Matty james was certainly unlucky but he knew he was on a booking already.

Some of the comments on here about refs and the fa are quite close to reality.  i am not about to defend refs for the sake of it.  Some refs are just trying to do thier best.  Just reading Youn9ie and, I'm paraphrasing, but he talks about having a go at a ref and being told "I'm doing my best, what's your excuse?" or something like that.  The number of times I've wanted to say to the big centre forward that has been giving me earache "what the feck was that, you're sh*t aren't you?" as a shot balloons over the bar, but you can't.  They can say it to me, and I let most of it go because "it's emotional, part of the game etc etc"

There are prem refs I have met that the biggest tw*ts it has ever been my bad luck to come across.  Arrogant, me me me, the game is all about how I look etc.

On the other hand other refs,locally Martin Dexter is one, who are the exact opposite.  They genuinely dont want to be noticed, happy to help other refs and players.  Approachable, everything a ref should be. 

Archived