Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Lowe

The 90th minute away from home.

Yet again we concede a crucial goal in the 90th minute away from home. It can be no coincidence that it has happened so often in recent years away from home but rarely happens at home. Surely it is either down to tactics or nerves. Do we go too defensive instead of trying for another goal? Do we make the wrong substitutions? Do we not have the nerve to hold out?

Would be interesting to know how often an attempt by a manager to close out a one goal lead by changing to a more defensive formation actually results in conceding a goal. It's not just Leicester. But every time we make that kind of change it immediately feels inevitable that we're going to concede. If you've won 80 minutes of a game playing one system then obviously its working, so why tinker? It never seems to work. Most frustrating.

Would be interesting to know how often an attempt by a manager to close out a one goal lead by changing to a more defensive formation actually results in conceding a goal. It's not just Leicester. But every time we make that kind of change it immediately feels inevitable that we're going to concede. If you've won 80 minutes of a game playing one system then obviously its working, so why tinker? It never seems to work. Most frustrating.

incorrect, we were losing for over an hour of it.

In our bad run last season, a lot of people were blaming our new found inability to score, but it was also in other ways down to our lack of experience/calm heads to close out games in the last 20 mins. 

We started conceding a lot of late goals. 

Of the home games I've seen so far this season, when we've been in winning positions we've been loads better at closing the game out. We've started possession football, passing it along the back, keeping it in the corners, short freekicks/corners etc.

Playing too defensively can invite pressure though - a good example of this was the game against Blackburn. They scored their penalty around 70 mins, and from 70-80 mins we just hoofed it away and panicked, inviting pressure. 

It was actually from 80-90mins that we got our act together and started doing all the sensible things listed above. 

There is absolutely no problem with a team sitting back and defending a lead, if you they any good at it.

We are not and have not been in many years....... :(

I have spoken about this many times, our back 3 are fallible and rather flakey under pressure inside our own box. Our defending from crosses and in particular from corners is woeful and costs us on a regular basis.

I genuinely thought we were doing better this season in this respect but not today, Schmeichel cocked it up for the penalty but the chaos was obvious on a number of other occasions.

I'd be willing to bet it happens to us no more than anybody else.

I'd be willing to bet that away from home on 90 minutes it happens to us more than most. It is frustrating because in general we travel quite well. Apart from Barnsley last season we always seem to be competitive but just can't see it out often enough.

Definitely happens against us more than it happens for us. It's a mental thing entirely - the worst thing you can do IMO is to sit back and rely on last ditch clearances. Wigan against Man City in the cup final was the way you did it - Man City, despite their apparent greater quality, were pushed back and back and back by a Wigan side who kept the ball well and didn't hand them the initiative. It's something we do far too often, for me.

Although not sure you can blame that as such, Schmeichel's cost us today, sadly.

I was not there but today sounds like poor mis-judgement from Kaspar.

Generally,over the last few seasons we have not been good holding a lead going into the last 10-15 minutes.Set pieces into our box have been a particular problem.

How many goals do we score in the last minute at home? I bet it is fairly even, it happens, home team is losing, chuck everything forwards, they are going to create chances, last minute goals are a fairly regular occurrence for most teams, by fairly regular I mean 3 or 4 a season. No big deal, we'll get our fair share of last minute points, disappointing of course, but no real cause for concern.

How many goals do we score in the last minute at home? I bet it is fairly even, it happens, home team is losing, chuck everything forwards, they are going to create chances, last minute goals are a fairly regular occurrence for most teams, by fairly regular I mean 3 or 4 a season. No big deal, we'll get our fair share of last minute points, disappointing of course, but no real cause for concern.

I was thinking the very same .

We have to take into consideration that the team who are losing are desperate to get forward so  it's not us alone changing tactics by being defensive, but them too .

It's a gamble they are forced to make, sometimes it pays off , sometimes it results in going further behind.

We do seem pretty susceptible to it though, and often look very shaky defending a slender lead, but I suppose that's just our own nerves kicking in.

The thing is, yesterday I don't even think we sat back on the lead in the last ten minutes. Ferguson easily stole ten yards with his throw in and then Kasper does that.

I could understand if it was a collective error but yesterday it was an individual error and one that could've been avoided.

Archived