Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Nugent

Yes we are. He has been awful for the most part so far. A few smiles here and there along with a penalty or two are not enough.

How on earth Oddschecker put him favourite for top scorer in the week is beyond me.

That fact is that we are carrying on from where we left off late last season, inability to put away the numerous chances we have/had created.

Not sure GTF is the answer either.

Yes. Worries me that all our strikers seem to be out of form all the time. 

I'd put Schlupp & vardy up top for a change. 

I dunno, bit more composure from Vards at Blackburn and Yesterday then we'd be singing a different tune. Whilst Vardy is playing as well as he is, the goals don't matter as much. 

Having said that, I don't think Woody is out of form, I just don't think we play to his strengths, he took his wrongly disallowed goal against Blackburn very well. 

We have only lost one game this season, and failed to score in just one match - not a bad return. I don't care who scores 'em.

Yes we are. He has been awful for the most part so far. A few smiles here and there along with a penalty or two are not enough..

No he hasn't.

He practically changed the game when he came on at Middlesbrough, for example. His movement is a class above any of our other strikers, and his workrate is always excellent, which in itself creates chances. You don't always find him up front, he gets back to win the ball back.

It always seems to me that if he isn't scoring, then most people think he isn't good enough. You need to start watching him more carefully. There is no doubt he is our best striker.

Yeah Nuge needs to score more no doubt about it. I think we should be not too harsh though on him. He still a good player and I think he will pick up his scoring form. Vardy missed a sitter as well, so they were both guilty of bad finishing. And Vardy who has been playing extremely well, hasn't got loads of goals yet either dont forget.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Nuge is our best striker. He's not above criticism and I have no problem with him being taken off if he's not playing well, but he should still be starting games.

This. Though Cash is trolling for attention and has been doing it for about a year.

It's strange that Nugent does seem to be struggling for confidence, but I have no doubt that he will come good. His link-up play with Vardy has been very good. I think he is just making some poor decisions when on the ball, you can almost sense some hesitancy when he is in front of goal. Remember, the season is still young and over the course of the season I'm sure he'll find his true form soon enough.

No he hasn't.

He practically changed the game when he came on at Middlesbrough, for example. His movement is a class above any of our other strikers, and his workrate is always excellent, which in itself creates chances. You don't always find him up front, he gets back to win the ball back.

It always seems to me that if he isn't scoring, then most people think he isn't good enough. You need to start watching him more carefully. There is no doubt he is our best striker.

Great post and I agree completely.

Let me ask you all this.. Would you prefer to have Nugent in our team, or playing against him in another team? This is usually a good yard-stick for me.

I'd much rather have Nugent in a City shirt. His work-rate is exemplary and I'm sure he'll find his shooting boots again soon.

I personally think he's different class to Chris Wood.

Vardy has worked hard for the team and his performances have been good without scoring, which we have all been pleased with.

Nugent has worked hard for the team and his performances have been good, and only scored through penalties, but some feel the need to say our best striker over the last couple of years is shit.

As stated in earlier posts form is temporary, class is permanent, he's taking a bit of time to score from open play, but we know the goals will come In time, and we are a better team for having him in it, and like vardy still offers the team something when he's not scoring.

Nugent is a confidence player and I have no doubts that he will score soon and then go on a run of goals.

And to those that think we should have sold him, would you really want nugent playing against us for forest?.

No he hasn't.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. 'No he hasn't' been mostly poor? There 'is no doubt' he is our best striker? He has scored two goals from open play in thirty matches, which is worse than Drinkwater, King, Knockaert and Dyer, let alone Vardy and Wood. Indeed, it's no better than De Laet, Schlupp and James either. On top of that questions have been asked of his performances since April last year. He is also, it's worth remembering, a 28 year-old who has never hit 20 goals in a season at any level (something Wood, who is six or seven years his junior, has already done at this level). No, goals aren't everything, but recent criticisms have focused on work-rate, movement and creativity - and these have not been 'always excellent' this season. That is why there are, quite justifiably, doubts about him.

And he IS scoring, isn't he? Those penalty goals make him our top scorer. The concerns relating to Nugent, which - with the exception of his crucial cameo at Boro - have surfaced after virtually every game, come from people who are looking beyond the 'goals scored' column and at the nature of those goals and the nature of his performances.

Would I prefer to have him on my side or against me? It depends who the alternative is. If it's Waghorn or Taylor-Fletcher then yes, I suppose I'd sooner have Nugent because I think he's a fine player when in form, but if it's Chris Wood - then I'm not so sure.

Schlupp will be a " nearly man " . Physique, athleticism spot on, ability not so.

Couldn't disagree more. He has shed loads of ability its just the mental side of the game that he needs to improve. He could bag a serious amount of goals in this league if he had a run up front because he needs time to get that goalscoring instinct which is what he is lacking, along with confidence. He's probably not going to get it and is rightly 4th choice striker at the moment.

Nugent hasn't been great in front of goal and by all means criticise him but he is still a huge asset to the team. People have hit the nail on the head about his class, work ethic and that you'd rather Nuge in our team than on the opposition team. I'd definitely be inclined to get Schlupp in there on Tuesday but also want Nuge and Vardy to get amongst the goals. When you think that Waggy is 5th choice and he is playing well at Millwall then it speaks volumes for the quality and depth we have up front.

Archived