Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Nugent

The thing is though, he's not working as hard for the team. If you watch him closely his closing down is laboured and he barely seems to break out of a jog at the moment which has made me question if he's carrying an injury because he's certainly ambling around. Knockaert is actually doing a lot of his running for him.

When chances are falling his range is way out at the moment too so he's literally offering nothing at the minute like Beckford used to. I agree that when he wasn't scoring last year his work rate and general play made him worthwhile having in the team, but that's not the case at the moment. I'd give him a start against Derby next week but unless there are vast improvements there's no way he should be near the starting 11 at the minute.

Goalscoring is not a problem look at Cardiff and Hull none of their strikers got double figures

Exactly.

One of housemates is a Hull fan, and he's just said 'we spread out the goals'. I think it's a good point... Nugent has scored 16 goals in each season, I don't think we can argue with that too much as we've been banging on about not having a 15+ goalscorer since Dickov.

I mean, there is no reason why Wood can't get 15+ on top of that, as well as goals from midfield (especially King).

I believe Nugent will score 15+ again this season. There is no way Nugent 'is rubbish', I don't believe people are watching him correct toy if they think this.

I firmly believe Nuge is our best striker.

Once he gets that goal from open play I reckon he will go on a run of goals, it's the type of striker he is. However, while the goals have dried up from open play the rest of his game has still been great. He didn't have his best game yesterday but the work rate he puts in and how he helps the team create chances is also important. Neither him nor Vardy have particularly had their shooting boots on yet we managed two goals yesterday and have scored 13 in 8 games, which isn't bad. This myth that you need a 20 goal a season striker to go up is way beyond the mark. Neither Hull nor Cardiff had this last season and I believe in players such as Dyer, King, Drinkwater, Knockaert and Taylor Fletcher we also have plenty of goals in us should the strikers not have their shooting boots on. 

Also, does it not seem funny that Nuge's form has dropped around the time of the birth of his child? The past couple of weeks his performances haven't been up to his usual standard so maybe his mind is elsewhere or he hasn't been sleeping great because of the baby?

While recent performances are concerning I am still positive that we have a good strikeforce.

I also think Wood has bags of goals in him, he just needs to be used in the right way!!

Nugent's workrate is a MYTH! He plods along running up to the ball and then stops. He never tackles, his throw-in marking is hilarious.

His movement is shite, like I have been saying for the past year and then being wrongly crucified for, he slows everything down because he is thick, his football brain is close to extinct, he litterally plays on lag. Compare his movement and workrate to Vardy and my point is obvious.

He has one shot in his locker, we all know what it is, left hand side, cuts in, tries to curl it right hand side corner. Last worked vs Southampton.

Not the worst player but nowhere near the player some of our fans think he is.

P.S I hate his smile.

Exactly.

One of housemates is a Hull fan, and he's just said 'we spread out the goals'. I think it's a good point... Nugent has scored 16 goals in each season, I don't think we can argue with that too much as we've been banging on about not having a 15+ goalscorer since Dickov.

I mean, there is no reason why Wood can't get 15+ on top of that, as well as goals from midfield (especially King).

I believe Nugent will score 15+ again this season. There is no way Nugent 'is rubbish', I don't believe people are watching him correct toy if they think this.

It's a team effort and that'll always come above individual records. Austin & Rhodes still sit in the Championship whilst Cardiff & Hull, who didn't have a single player hit double figures? Are in the Premier League.

So far we have;

Nugent 3

Vardy 2

Drinkwater 2

King 2

Konchesky 1

Moore 1

Dyer 1

Seven different scorers already (8 if you include Derby's OG), that's a very decent 'spread' of goalscorers.

Nugent's workrate is a MYTH! He plods along running up to the ball and then stops. He never tackles, his throw-in marking is hilarious.

His movement is shite, like I have been saying for the past year and then being wrongly crucified for, he slows everything down because he is thick, his football brain is close to extinct, he litterally plays on lag. Compare his movement and workrate to Vardy and my point is obvious.

He has one shot in his locker, we all know what it is, left hand side, cuts in, tries to curl it right hand side corner. Last worked vs Southampton.

Not the worst player but nowhere near the player some of our fans think he is.

P.S I hate his smile.

A lot of what you say has some merit. The parts about him plodding along to the ball and not tackling is particularly pertinent at the moment, and he very much favours cutting in onto his right foot, so much so that at times it is very predictable.

I would disagree about his movement though. As someone with not a great amount of pace he relies on clever runs and positioning to get himself into opportunities and to contribute to attacks. The problem being that, due to what I perceive as a lack of effort at the moment, he's not working hard enough to get into those spaces often enough at the moment - and due to lack of form, when he does he's way off coming even close to scoring.

He is by no means a bad player, but I've come to the conclusion he's a Matty Fryatt. Decent at this level, will grab 12-15 goals, but won't ever be the prolific goal scorer everyone hopes he will be. His off-the-ball movement isn't great and his only trick when he has with the ball is to cut inside on his right foot. His stamina is also woeful, he always looks exhausted from 70 mins onwards but he's rarely replaced.

All the above would be fine if he was partnered with another striker who returns a decent goal tally, but this season we have Jamie Vardy who has yet to prove his capable of scoring enough goals at this level and Chris Wood who somehow got 20 goals last season, but since February has often looked absolutely dreadful.

I'm a fan of Pearson, but his track record of signing strikers isn't great. He can find good defenders, but I'm struggling to think of many/any strikers he's signed that have proven to be a success.

Vardy and Schlupp are both more natural finishers than Nugent. I would much prefer those 2 upfront. Pace, power and work rate. Nugent was beyond lazy yesterday and didn't look interested, I also feel he doesn't take the games seriously enough perfect example was against Blackburn, after Jordan Rhodes scored the penalty he was laughing and joking with him. Fair enough after the game but not during and they've just got back into it 2-1. Also he doesn't have that winning mentality I remember last season he said that being top of the league got to him and the pressure effected his performances. Not good enough for me.

Vardy and Schlupp are both more natural finishers than Nugent. I would much prefer those 2 upfront. Pace, power and work rate. Nugent was beyond lazy yesterday and didn't look interested, I also feel he doesn't take the games seriously enough perfect example was against Blackburn, after Jordan Rhodes scored the penalty he was laughing and joking with him. Fair enough after the game but not during and they've just got back into it 2-1. Also he doesn't have that winning mentality I remember last season he said that being top of the league got to him and the pressure effected his performances. Not good enough for me.

How the **** are Vardy and Schlupp both natural finishers?

How the **** are Vardy and Schlupp both natural finishers?

You didn't see Schlupp at youth level or on loan at Brentford I take it? Also Nugent is hesitant to shoot and personally I think Vardy is a better player at the moment and the goals he's scored for us have been natural strikers goals.

He is by no means a bad player, but I've come to the conclusion he's a Matty Fryatt. Decent at this level, will grab 12-15 goals, but won't ever be the prolific goal scorer everyone hopes he will be. His off-the-ball movement isn't great and his only trick when he has with the ball is to cut inside on his right foot. His stamina is also woeful, he always looks exhausted from 70 mins onwards but he's rarely replaced.

All the above would be fine if he was partnered with another striker who returns a decent goal tally, but this season we have Jamie Vardy who has yet to prove his capable of scoring enough goals at this level and Chris Wood who somehow got 20 goals last season, but since February has often looked absolutely dreadful.

I'm a fan of Pearson, but his track record of signing strikers isn't great. He can find good defenders, but I'm struggling to think of many/any strikers he's signed that have proven to be a success.

Agreed

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Nuge is our best striker. He's not above criticism and I have no problem with him being taken off if he's not playing well, but he should still be starting games.

Shut it Andy

You didn't see Schlupp at youth level or on loan at Brentford I take it? Also Nugent is hesitant to shoot and personally I think Vardy is a better player at the moment and the goals he's scored for us have been natural strikers goals.

Neither did you.

Nuge has been pony for ages now. At least half of last season he was shit, and he has continued to be shit this year. He runs around with a smile on his face, and..? His performances has been abysmal absolutely abysmal and unfortunately a few penalties and everyone forgets the type of performance Nuge has put in.

I would prefer to give Wood and Vardy a go personally.

Nuge has been pony for ages now. At least half of last season he was shit, and he has continued to be shit this year. He runs around with a smile on his face, and..? His performances has been abysmal absolutely abysmal and unfortunately a few penalties and everyone forgets the type of performance Nuge has put in.

Haha laughable, abysmal is a bit strong. I think loss of form is closer to the mark.

Seems like its Nuge's turn for abuse and ridicule now that DD has been excellent.

Nuge has been pony for ages now. At least half of last season he was shit, and he has continued to be shit this year. He runs around with a smile on his face, and..? His performances has been abysmal absolutely abysmal and unfortunately a few penalties and everyone forgets the type of performance Nuge has put in.

100% correct . and he is paid £28, 000 a week too . never ever seen this man roll his sleeves up and get stuck in . far too friendly with opponents while its "game on" for me , which is just wrong . he is after a new contract too . he is having a laugh if he thinks he is putting £28, 000 a week performances in at the moment . 

Archived