Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Nugent

Haha laughable, abysmal is a bit strong. I think loss of form is closer to the mark.

Seems like its Nuge's turn for abuse and ridicule now that DD has been excellent.

I have been consistent in my analysis of Nugent for over a year so whilst I am lambasted and suspended from time to time I am at least a man of my word.

So basically, people with a clue about football agree he is dogshit and the happy clappers are still oblivious because he smiles a fair bit.....:-/

lol

Yeah, ok.

I hate the term 'happy clappers' (it's on par with 'tinpot'). Just because people like players, the team, the manager, it don't make them some sort of 'happy clapper'.

And there is no way Schlupp is a better finisher than Nuge. Schlupp needs at least three chances before taking one. Yes I saw him on loan at Brentford, but I also saw Nugent when he played for Preston.

Vardy has improved massively, as I thought he would do, but he misses just as many chances as he scores. Just like Nugent. We are in the second tier, not the Premier League, I rate Nugent as a good championship striker and I doubt we could find better.

Nugent is our best striker, and I have no doubt he will end up with 15 goals at least this season.

Haha laughable, abysmal is a bit strong. I think loss of form is closer to the mark.

Seems like its Nuge's turn for abuse and ridicule now that DD has been excellent.

Take the penalties away, what as he actually done? His first touch is abysmal, his final ball is abysmal and his shooting is abysmal.

Completely lost all faith in him.

Wank wank wank. 

He's done nothing since January except score those two headers in the play offs. He hasn't contributed anything, hardly gets any assists and doesn't score many. His work rate isn't great. His touch his poor, he can't play on the last man and isn't creative. I really don't see the purpose of him. He scored in braces and one hat trick mainly last season and did jack shit for the other 38/39 games. Finally people have opened their eyes. It's laughable that Scouse Fox says he's our best striker and people can still back him up just because he 'plays with a smile on his face'... no, he's just laughing at the situation he's in!

He's not even quick. Schlupp and Vardy as a front two for me must be worked on. Pace, two strikers who can play on the last man and good work rates. Teams will crap themselves in this league at the thought of playing against two rapid strikers. 

I'm a big Nugent fan. You don't become a bad player overnight, he's consistently performed well for us and I'd much sooner see him playing for us than against us.

He's not exempt from criticism, and I don't think he's been anywhere near his best this season, but he's also not as been as bad as some make out. One thing I've noticed in the last few games is he doesn't seem to be busting a gut to get into the box when we are attacking down the flanks. His work rate is usually one of his best attributes, and this area is letting him down. I'd personally give him a spell out of the team to get him chomping at the bit again. Maybe he's become complacent?

No-one has answered my simple question?

Would you rather have Nuge in our team or be playing against a team with him in it?

Answer that and I'll take any criticism of him seriously.

Personally, there are many many strikers in the Championship I'd rather be playing against than Nugent.

I'm happy we have him and still consider him to be Sven's most important overall signing.

I'm a big Nugent fan. You don't become a bad player overnight, he's consistently performed well for us and I'd much sooner see him playing for us than against us.

He's not exempt from criticism, and I don't think he's been anywhere near his best this season, but he's also not as been as bad as some make out. One thing I've noticed in the last few games is he doesn't seem to be busting a gut to get into the box when we are attacking down the flanks. His work rate is usually one of his best attributes, and this area is letting him down. I'd personally give him a spell out of the team to get him chomping at the bit again. Maybe he's become complacent?

I can't agree. Haven't the last two games demonstrated Nugent's ability to be in the right place at the right time? Unfortunately, he's then gone and missed the chances.

Taking the chances will return... The reading of the game is natural and Nugent certainly has that.

We're third in the league and would have been higher if it wasn't for Kasper's daft rush of blood. Nugent is an integral part of that success so far. He'll come good.

No-one has answered my simple question?

Would you rather have Nuge in our team or be playing against a team with him in it?

Answer that and I'll take any criticism of him seriously.

Personally, there are many many strikers in the Championship I'd rather be playing against than Nugent.

I'm happy with have him and still consider him to be Sven's most important overall signing.

Plenty of strikers I would rather not face than Nugent. Jordan Rhodes, Charlie Austin, Grant Holt, Troy Deeney, Chris Wood, Adam Le Fondre and Ross McCormack.

He mentioned in an interview the other day that he was now playing slightly further back to help with closing down the opposition players while Vardy was doing the same further forward.

The minute he's played out of his one natural position his game seems to suffer, he'll probably get his 15 goals again this season but I'm not sure who else will.

I have been a fan of Nugent but if we're being totally honest, he hasn't played well since the start of February. Like literally, he hasn't had one good game since.

Even in the play-offs where he scored twice, his all round game was crap.

He was a bit better on Tuesday but even then he couldn't hit a barn door.

Very worrying form and needs dropping. Start Wood next match.

I have been a fan of Nugent but if we're being totally honest, he hasn't played well since the start of February. Like literally, he hasn't had one good game since.

Even in the play-offs where he scored twice, his all round game was crap.

He was a bit better on Tuesday but even then he couldn't hit a barn door.

Very worrying form and needs dropping. Start Wood next match.

Wood an injury doubt for the weekend. So won't be starting next match.

You didn't see Schlupp at youth level or on loan at Brentford I take it? Also Nugent is hesitant to shoot and personally I think Vardy is a better player at the moment and the goals he's scored for us have been natural strikers goals.

Define 'natural strikers goals'.

Complacency is a pretty accurate shout. Complacency is often born from players who are deemed undroppable and he seems to be.

Plenty of strikers I would rather not face than Nugent. Jordan Rhodes, Charlie Austin, Grant Holt, Troy Deeney, Chris Wood, Adam Le Fondre and Ross McCormack.

Rhodes I'd take. Nugent is better than Wood. Grant Holt? Not sure now... Adam LeFondre, blows hot and cold. Deeney I'd take. McCormack.. No better than Nugent.

It's not a big list then is it? Not really.

Interesting you say Deeney.. I said we should have gone for him in the Jan transfer window of last season but 'personality issues' were thrown-up.

The point I'm making is that an 'in-form' Nugent (and I do admit, his form has not been good for some time and this COULD be down to complacency) is still one of the best strikers in the division. Let's keep behind him because I'm pretty sure he'll start scoring goals again.

The thing is though, he's not working as hard for the team. If you watch him closely his closing down is laboured and he barely seems to break out of a jog at the moment which has made me question if he's carrying an injury because he's certainly ambling around. Knockaert is actually doing a lot of his running for him.

When chances are falling his range is way out at the moment too so he's literally offering nothing at the minute like Beckford used to. I agree that when he wasn't scoring last year his work rate and general play made him worthwhile having in the team, but that's not the case at the moment. I'd give him a start against Derby next week but unless there are vast improvements there's no way he should be near the starting 11 at the minute.

I do agree with this. For me Nugent has been poor since the Huddersfield cup match last year. Whilst his work rate used to be incredible, I also feel that it has fallen quite considerably now. Several times already, Vardy has bust a gut to just about get to the ball and head, kick or otherwise get it into the box to no avail as nobody has been there to follow up. This is surely Nugent's job but he never  getting there, he should be playing the odds and gambling on such opportunities to fall to him. For me he's 'hiding' in the midfield. Hiding does sound a little harsh I admit but imo it seems precisely what he's doing and not adding too much value. If we had a viable option I personally put them in but I don't think we have as the cumbersome Wood only serves to slow things down. Schlupp is a possible option but he would need a run of games and I don't think his close control is up to much. For me, at present, Nugent is still the best option by default.

I can't agree. Haven't the last two games demonstrated Nugent's ability to be in the right place at the right time? Unfortunately, he's then gone and missed the chances.

Taking the chances will return... The reading of the game is natural and Nugent certainly has that.

We're third in the league and would have been higher if it wasn't for Kasper's daft rush of blood. Nugent is an integral part of that success so far. He'll come good.

I did answer your earlier question in my post- I'm a Nugent fan and I'd far rather see him in a Leicester shirt than playing against us. I noticed against both Wigan and Blackburn several times we got the ball into the box and he wasn't there. Something is not quite right with him at the moment, maybe it's the Forest interest over the summer than unsettled him? Or maybe he's become complacent. Needs to improve and get back to being our most important attacking player.

Here's my take on it, Nugents problem is Vardy we've seen Nugent at his best and he is a hard working industrial striker however this role has now been taken on by Vardy, point being you can't have two strikers tearing around the pitch for lost causes because you'll just keep on loosing the ball upfront and make space for the opposing team to pass it in.

If you were to drop Vardy and start Wood/Taylor-Fletcher I am sure Nugent would start looking like his old self again. Vardy has improved but he still doesn't look like scoring goals, plenty of running around is fine but It won't win you games. We need more goals.

Elvis Hammond, Nathan Blake, Chris O'Grady, Mark De Vries are just a few of the shocking strikers we've seen here in recent years and people are moaning about Nugent?

Incredible. How short are people's memories?

Nugent does a job for the team, and a decent one at that too.

Elvis Hammond, Nathan Blake, Chris O'Grady, Mark De Vries are just a few of the shocking strikers we've seen here in recent years and people are moaning about Nugent?

Incredible. How short are people's memories?

Nugent does a job for the team, and a decent one at that too.

100% agree with this.

Archived