Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Do we have pearson all wrong?

Have we judged Big Nigel Pearson wrong? - 

Now don't get me wrong, some days he bores you to sleep, 

BUT. Do we want a manager that lets players get away with anything and get the piss taken out of him? A La Beckford? A La Mills? Or do we want someone the players Respect, And.. Are even a little bit scared of? 

Before I went into business I worked for a manager who was very much like Nigel, He was Very hard, but well respected, and you knew that he would always be proved right, and knew what he was doing in the long run, But also had those moments where he would have a laugh and made you realize that he was quite a decent person, For me personally that spurred me to do well just to prove him wrong! Or even make him happy to have me around, It made me more ambitious.

Blah Blah Blah, The point I am trying to make is, EVERY player that ive seen interviewed all seem happy to play for BIG Nige, I'm not behind the scenes or in the know, but we are playing out of our skin, and did this time last season.

We are bigger, Stronger, and look to have a bit more consistency (Last year if we had a bad game we got beat.. not so much this year)

We have that bit of class;

Nigel has a few cons,

But for me,  More pros, 

He is showing tactical awareness this season, changing things up, playing attacking football yet looking Solid in defence, 

He is VERY shrewd in the transfer market, spotting players abilities before most (even if they don't always perform for us, they do in the end!!)

Cleverley, Moore (Gave him a chance) Davies, Schlupp (Chance given - Could be decent) Dare I say it Lingaard? - Not so good for us but played well pre season for UTD and scored 4 saturday! 

BIG WES, Lloyd is looking good again, KNOCKAERT, De Laet, WASILEWSKI (Looked good except for couple of mistakes) Wood (If he finds form again) James looks a class act, 

Drinky on his day, but needs consistency....

We all slate Pearson for his 'Man management' But silly things like Nicknames for players says to me that he does have a good rapport with our squad, Always calling players nicknames I.e last night "Deano" "Drinky" "Knocky" "Nuge"

Ive even heard the term "Big wes" haha "Konch" 

Silly I know, But look at it from a personal view Would you call someone a work by a nickname unless you had some sort of relationship with them? 

I've always liked Nigel, and Think alot of people may have him wrong as a 'boring arrogant twat' 

Although kind of licking his arse, It's not intended too, If he wants to stay here and remain as manager, he needs to get us promoted and keep us there, and to do that effectively he needs to make these changes to his management, 

I think he has quite a few issues as a manager, but seems to be trying to iron them out (Playing attacking football, Passing football, Changing formations)

All I know is, He's proving his doubters wrong, Long may it continue, 

LCFC TID

Will probably get bombarded by loads of drivel from fans who will be effectively contradicting themselves by slating nigel when all they have to say is the same old boring crap we see on here after every loss, but not after a win,

but bring it on, 3rd in the table. Beat derby, Got 5 'Easier' Games to come, I'd be surprised if we are not top come November.

Said before and will say it again.

Pearson made a number of errors last season IMO.

The signing of Kane was bizarre and insisting on 4-4-2 away from home when he should have shaken it all up are just two examples.

But as a man manager and as a bloke with an eye for a signing, Pearson and Sven are worlds apart.

I'd take Pearson over Sven every day and twice on Sundays.

Even the best managers make mistakes.

We've got a good manager for the level we're at with a good chance of getting promoted. He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but whilst he's in charge we've just got to give him out full backing.

His record with us in every full season isn't too shabby is it?

After reading your post I would say the majority of us here on Foxestalk have judged Pearson right. Many of us have always felt this way about him and knew if given time results would continue to improve under his management.

The signing of Kane was bizarre and insisting on 4-4-2 away from home when he should have shaken it all up are just two examples.

But as a man manager and as a bloke with an eye for a signing, Pearson and Sven are worlds apart.

Agreed completely, He has shown so far this season that he can change tactics, Kane was bizarre yes, but pearson saw what he had in his locker, but he just couldnt do it for us!!

Kane/Lingaard 

both had brilliant pre seasons at spurs and UTD, Lingaard scored 4 on saturday, both looked good! just not for us!

His eye for a player is 2nd to none, 

Pearson over his tenure here, has taken us from administration certainties that have been relegated from the championship to league 1... All the way to premiership promotion contenders (Not alone... All with his backroom staff and the board, Manderic secured us, the new owners have propelled us) 

I would hate to see all the hard work done by Pearson and his merry men (Cutting cloth, selling top earners, building from scratch to the hungry, young and high potential team we have now) go to waste by not getting a new contract, only for a top manager to come in, win the league with us, and get all the credit, when the hard work was done before they arrived... 

I hope that Pearson can prove EVERYONE wrong, but if he cannot, Best of luck to him,

So far so good, and never been so confident in 10 years, lets not get to hasty, it can and may go wrong (more likely than not I fear) but here's to hoping!

After reading your post I would say the majority of us here on Foxestalk have judged Pearson right. Many of us have always felt this way about him and knew if given time results would continue to improve under his management.

Plus we have always had a quality defensive record with him, he knows that position like the back of his hand, and we have 2 younger defenders who can learn tonnes from wes and konch, wes would still be here if we got promoted, konch wouldnt, Hopefully by then our defense could be solid enough for the big time, Although you cannot win unless you score, in the premiership you are more likely to concede than score goals!! Get the back sorted and we could have a chance, we don't want to do a derby!

IF!!!! we go up :)

I like his style(ie his ignorance) in his interviews,I feel during his time with us he tends to get slated when we lose,and not praised when we win,all the talk in recent weeks and last night where we come from behind to win seems to all be about the players,whether its knockart,unguents,dyer changing the game,when its persons tactics what are winning us these games as as the players,had we lost last night and not got the points I. Previous games then Pearson wud get slated,he's useless this,he's useless that,I think he deserves a great lot of credit and respect for where we are,I think because of his no nonsense approach he's well respected in the camp,I currently work for a manager who is useless who no one respects,I'm like a beckford at work.i don't care.yet under previous management I was more of a,lets say Lloyd dyer,worked hard and kept me head down whist having mutual respect in brach?

NP is just what we need. The stats don't lie, his first year with us we won the league (albeit league 1) his second, we finished in the play-offs. His third doesn't really count as he only had half a season but we still got to 9/10 I think it was. And finally, last year we finished in the play-offs again. Last year we should have done better than sixth imo. If a team can be in the top 2 for a few months consistently as we were then they're a decent side, again, imo. So I think np definitely knows what he's doing and I echo what another has said here, I'm the most confident that I've been in 10 years.

Kane is a decent player, granted he did not show all of his attributes while on loan with us.

Everybody makes mistakes, but it's what steps you take to ensure they don't happen again. We played a couple of systems last season, mainly a flat 442, but we now chose from 433 and 352 as well as the 442 still. 

I prefer Nigel over Sven, everyday of the week. Yeah Nige might not come over as 'nice' as Sven but I don't really care; Shankly, Ferguson and Clough weren't 'nice' but they are among the greatest managers ever.

I have faith in Nigel's signings more. We seem to get the best out of players, and seem to sign players for good prices (look at Morgan for under £1million). Of course, Nigel has made some poor signings, but so does every manager... Do Manchester United fans remember Djemba-Djemba and Bellion, or Ronaldo and Keane?

Nigel is well respected, it seems, with other managers. And rightly so, he's done good jobs, especially here at Leicester. Is it complete yet? I don't think so, but I do hope we can get us promoted. We're solid, consistent and more like 'a team' with Pearson in charge imo. He has the side to him as well, where you know he can kick the players in gear, or put his arm around players with slight words.

Everybody makes mistakes, but it's what steps you take to ensure they don't happen again. We played a couple of systems last season, mainly a flat 442, but we now chose from 433 and 352 as well as the 442 still. 

I prefer Nigel over Sven, everyday of the week. Yeah Nige might not come over as 'nice' as Sven but I don't really care; Shankly, Ferguson and Clough weren't 'nice' but they are among the greatest managers ever.

I have faith in Nigel's signings more. We seem to get the best out of players, and seem to sign players for good prices (look at Morgan for under £1million). Of course, Nigel has made some poor signings, but so does every manager... Do Manchester United fans remember Djemba-Djemba and Bellion, or Ronaldo and Keane?

Nigel is well respected, it seems, with other managers. And rightly so, he's done good jobs, especially here at Leicester. Is it complete yet? I don't think so, but I do hope we can get us promoted. We're solid, consistent and more like 'a team' with Pearson in charge imo. He has the side to him as well, where you know he can kick the players in gear, or put his arm around players with slight words.

Thats right. His man management is second to none. I reckon one or two fringe players aside that the players love the bloke and love playing for him. If he is as grounded in his team talks post match as he appears via the media it for me means that when he does praise a player openly or privately, its high praise indeed. Contrast that to sven where he dished out praise left right and centre regardless of the result.

The blokes an absolute hero (as far as football managers go) in my eyes.

Doubts about him began to creep in from even me last year (I say 'even me' as a big Pearson fan) but he's winning me over again. We're efficient this season - we're winning games when playing well and we're winning games when we aren't playing well. 11 games in all competitions with 8 wins, two draws in games where we've been pretty even and hit the insite of the post, and one where we've thrown it away due to a bit of silly goalkeeping in the last minute, and a loss which I'll write off as awful, but it happens to any side - Cardiff lost there last year, conceding 5 in the process.

I've always rated his man management as exceptional. From an outsiders point of view, obviously, but have people seriously become so soft now that any criticism is taken as a negative? Look at the players he's got rid of in the last two years - can a single one of you seriously say that their form for their new club would get anywhere near our current team?

He sets out a precedent and it filters out the determined players from the less arsed players.

His football can be drab. Often resorts to hoofball and I still think we don't have a forward who's any good in the air, but we're far more organised this year. We're not making AS MANY stupid mistakes, and we're scoring when we're on top. There comes a point when you think that there's more to it than just luck, and we've hit that point for me.

I genuinely do think we're in with a shout of the automatics. We seem to have picked up a habit of winning in all kinds of circumstances, a habit of making the most of what we have and an excellent habit of scoring two goals in quick succession to turn a 0-1 deficit into a 2-1 lead - it's happened four times already this season and we're not even in October. That is pretty remarkable.

Don't forget all this has come with us having to sell to buy again.

Looking at our next five games, I honestly think we could come out of it top (with no pissing QPR games in hand either). Five games I'd go into hoping for and expecting three points. I appreciate we probably won't win all five, and that this league is as unpredictable as any, but we seem to have developed that knack of winning and that's what gets any side out of this league. It's proven year after year.

We were saying similar things early last season, but there really does seem to be a more positive air about the club this time. I'm delighted we've kept the bloke.

I didn't even think of that to be honest. If Sunderland come in for him (they're after Poyet apparently but still), do people think he'd take it?

More to the point, do you think we wouldn't offer him a contract? I don't think he would go - he's got a project here that he happily came back to. Depends what his motives are, finish what you started, or money?

More to the point, do you think we wouldn't offer him a contract? I don't think he would go - he's got a project here that he happily came back to. Depends what his motives are, finish what you started, or money?

Pearson strikes me as not being money motivated and I appreciate that comes across as very blinkered and biased, especially considering he left Hull for us, but it just doesn't seem like his persona to chase the money. I mean look at the sort of players he gets rid of - OK, I appreciate that he's left with little choice, but he doesn't seem to dislike doing it by any means.

Part of me thinks he came back from Hull to actually finish what he started in the first place. The reality was when he got back, it was history, complete and utter history, the squad he returned to was unrecognisable from that of when he left.

He was always far more appreciated here than at Hull, although after last season I'm beginning to seriously question that.

The proof is in the pudding as far as I am concerned he is a nearly man, hasn't quite been able to bridge that gap of gaining promotion from this division he is certainly a better manager than Sven in all aspects there is no doubt about that.

If we get promotion this season which I feel we are very capable of then NP could probably start building a new dynasty akin to MON we hope! and even better with the Thais clout, if we don't get promotion the thought isn't worth bearing to think about lol

A lot of you on Foxestalk and on Radio Leicester phone ins, and some of the idiots who post on the Leicester Mercury bit may have judged him wrong, but most of the proper Leicester City supporters who I go home and away games with have never doubted him and have not once boo'd the team and neither have they ever called for NP to be sacked. 

Without sounding patronising, this is because most that wanted him out do not have a full understanding of the rules, how the game is played and what you have to sometimes do to win. This coupled with a lot of immature teenagers that throw their toys out of the pram when they dont get what they want is the reason behind this. 

Archived