Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Anti-Fan

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Rob-Tanner-s-blog-s-fans-really-make-Leicester/story-20040284-detail/story.html

(edited to say: this was the last bit of the article)

Then there is a new genre of fan. Well, I say new but he (or she) isn’t new really. They have just been marginalised until the explosion in the internet and social media. I refer to the Anti-Fan.

The Anti-Fan used to be the minority voice down the pub but he has now found a platform on forums and social media. It doesn’t matter how well City do, the Anti-Fan seems to never be happy – but is he?

It seems he is never more happy than when he is miserable and, to be miserable, City need to be struggling.

Take this season for example. City have made their best-ever start to the campaign, and yet anti-fans have still questioned the leadership of manager Nigel Pearson and the quality of many of the players.

Even reliable performers such as Kasper Schmeichel and David Nugent have had their place in the team questioned after a couple of mistakes by the Anti-Fan.

But there is no question the Anti-Fan still loves City. Why else would they spend so much time and energy following a club that seems to make them so unhappy?

And beware anyone else who dares criticise the club because then Anti-Fan is ready to pounce. It is like family. We can all fall out and moan about our families, but as soon as someone else says anything, watch out.

Every club has its anti-fans, and their role it seems is to stop everyone else from getting too carried away, which isn’t a bad thing.

After all, it takes all sorts to support a club like City.

I wonder if we can spot any on FT? :ph34r:

Are you mad.

Like anyone on here would be an Antifan.

No one on here would slag players or the team just cos we lost or played bad.

Like no one would slag us off in the Boro thread before the season had even started for us.

Rob Tanner called me an anti-fan on Twitter twice

Once when I dared to question why he didn't ask Mandaric if Pearson had been pushed out and another time when I said i didn't think Sven was the right man for the job.

Suppose we all have different definitions of what one is. He seems to have changed his now.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Rob-Tanner-s-blog-s-fans-really-make-Leicester/story-20040284-detail/story.html

Then there is a new genre of fan. Well, I say new but he (or she) isn’t new really. They have just been marginalised until the explosion in the internet and social media. I refer to the Anti-Fan.

The Anti-Fan used to be the minority voice down the pub but he has now found a platform on forums and social media. It doesn’t matter how well City do, the Anti-Fan seems to never be happy – but is he?

It seems he is never more happy than when he is miserable and, to be miserable, City need to be struggling.

Take this season for example. City have made their best-ever start to the campaign, and yet anti-fans have still questioned the leadership of manager Nigel Pearson and the quality of many of the players.

Even reliable performers such as Kasper Schmeichel and David Nugent have had their place in the team questioned after a couple of mistakes by the Anti-Fan.

But there is no question the Anti-Fan still loves City. Why else would they spend so much time and energy following a club that seems to make them so unhappy?

And beware anyone else who dares criticise the club because then Anti-Fan is ready to pounce. It is like family. We can all fall out and moan about our families, but as soon as someone else says anything, watch out.

Every club has its anti-fans, and their role it seems is to stop everyone else from getting too carried away, which isn’t a bad thing.

So this is you yes?

Yo serious bro?

Written in Broadmoor?  lol

I think a lot of the anti-fan stuff comes from people wanting to look more knowledgeable about the game than they are. A kind of "well we might be 2nd in the table but I once played semi-pro for Droylesdon and I can see that Dyer is non-league and Pearson's tactics are pre-historic" attitude. Same with sticking up for a player whom everyone else thinks is completely crap, makes it look like they can 'see' something nobody else can. There are loads of frustrated nearly-pros and failed managers in the stands.

Then there is a new genre of fan. Well, I say new but he (or she) isn’t new really. They have just been marginalised until the explosion in the internet and social media. I refer to the cnut.

The cnut used to be the minority voice down the pub but he has now found a platform on forums and social media. It doesn’t matter how well City do, the cnut seems to never be happy – but is he?

Take this season for example. City have made their best-ever start to the campaign, and yet cnuts have still questioned the leadership of manager Nigel Pearson and the quality of many of the players.

Even reliable performers such as Kasper Schmeichel and David Nugent have had their place in the team questioned after a couple of mistakes by the cnuts.

But there is no question the cnuts still loves City. Why else would they spend so much time and energy following a club that seems to make them so unhappy?

And beware anyone else who dares criticise the club because then cnut is ready to pounce. It is like family. We can all fall out and moan about our families, but as soon as someone else says anything, watch out.

Every club has its cnuts, and their role it seems is to stop everyone else from getting too carried away, which isn’t a bad thing.

After all, it takes all sorts of cnuts to support a club like City.

I think a lot of the anti-fan stuff comes from people wanting to look more knowledgeable about the game than they are. A kind of "well we might be 2nd in the table but I once played semi-pro for Droylesdon and I can see that Dyer is non-league and Pearson's tactics are pre-historic" attitude. Same with sticking up for a player whom everyone else thinks is completely crap, makes it look like they can 'see' something nobody else can. There are loads of frustrated nearly-pros and failed managers in the stands.

spot on, add contrariness and masochistic tendencies to that.

I'll mention it again, our fans are no better or worse than fans at any other club.

Just like other clubs we also have fans who feel they are better fans than 'the doubters' and spend all their time calling others 'morons' to prove it.

You're not all morons... but some definitely are.

Can't disagree with that, there's a couple who just can't appreciate what has been achieved so far this season, but no different to the Pearsonistas who number a few amongst their number as well.

Indeed... I don't think that's ever been denied!!!!  :D

Archived