Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

1-1 Reading Post Match

An entertaining game which I thought we edged, particularly second half.

The lads showed a big improvement on Brighton, although the one real downside was Schlupps defending and his decision making - why head the ball aimlessly back to the opposition, when no opponent is within yards of you - a simple chest down is all that is required to start attacking again.

Every set piece is now a worry and may be preying on the defence minds - yesterday the only way Reading were likely to score was from a corner / free kick and their crowd knew it.

Thought the rest did well, some obviously better than others, but people having a go at Hammond and Nugent, I thought they did ok and played their part - possibly the laziest player was Dyer, he doesn't always track back, but conversely if their attack breaks down he often around the halfway line and finds himself in a good one on one situation. 

Finally thought Reading was a very friendly club, quite a few stewards congratulated us on promotion and the professional plastic sign on the wall outside the gates again congratulating was a nice touch. Also the LCFC A-Z highlights video playing the concourse was well received. 

He didn't say Hammond was better than James though did he. Hammond had a good game tonight but he's another easy target for people on here to slate.

Ok but he didn't have a good game and he's a target because he's absolutely wank.

I was with you until you started defending Hammond.

Please, the man is way too off the pace at this level and to suggest he contributes by standing in front of players is laughable. I expect a lot more from my central midfielder. Maybe he did win every tackle, but I can't remember him actually making any. If he won one or two tackles that isn't enough.

It's no good just backing off players and refusing to actually take any responsibility like he did tonight.

Terrible player, he does bugger all. Now James, he wins tackles, he also properly contributes, he doesn't just stand there and make out he's doing something useful. You can see the difference between these two players.

Really?

I honestly thought he had a good game yesterday. Don't get me wrong I'd say he's 4th choice out of our midfielders but I'm struggling to see what he did wrong yesterday. Solid display.

Criticise him all you like; without Hammond playing yesterday Drinkwater wouldn't be as good as he was yesterday. Released Danny to push forward whilst Hammond sat.

James was not available, so there's no point comparing the two in this instance. So you have King as the other option but he can't play the role of sitting. It's not his natural game.

Simple as.

Oh god now it's this old chestnut, 'Drinkwater was 'allowed' to do his thing because of Hammond'.

All these meaningless cliches. It's just total rubbish. Drinkwater isn't good because some other bloke stands in front of the back 4 and does nothing.

You make out like he offered cover for the defenders, when he was actually made to look silly any time a midfielder went at him, and he refused to make any tackles and contribute to the match, instead content to jockey about 10 yards off them, giving them space to cross, shoot, pass or whatever they liked.

You're just making things up based on the position he played. Sure, he sat. I can fvcking sit. But what did he actually contribute? The answer is absolutely nothing. He had no energy, his passing was amateurish, he backed off instead of making tackles, he couldn't run, he got skinned when players ran at him. He was utterly, utterly crap.

King does know how to sit, plus he's a decent player. I'd have him in my team every single time over Hammond, no question.

Really?

I honestly thought he had a good game yesterday. Don't get me wrong I'd say he's 4th choice out of our midfielders but I'm struggling to see what he did wrong yesterday. Solid display.

See post below.

Struggling to see what he did right.

Good passes? No.

Important tackles? No.

Regular tackles? No.

Effective cover for the back four? No.

What in particular did he do well other than stand in the middle and make up the numbers?

He could hardly been murdered anymore than Schlupp was defensively. Whilst everyone is creaming Schlupp going forward, he's being picked as a left back which means his primary duty is to defend, being able to attack is a bonus. If last night is the standard of his defending he will struggle. I am however optimistic he could learn the art of defending from Konch and become a very good defender. He was too easily exposed and we were lucky a couple of goals didn't materialise from his flank.

I disagree.

He was beaten 2 or 3 times badly but he also made up massive ground to defend well several times and even when he was beaten he recovered well one of those times.

Konch doesn't have the legs to cover that guy last night. He would've picked up a yellow if not a red. The attacker was electric and Lucky.

Have to say having seen the effort reading made with the away end posters etc, they have gone up a notch in my estimation, that showed a touch of class, fair play.

Same. I've come out of that game liking Reading more than I did before hand. Nice touch.

Lloyd Dyer has one or two bad games after returning form injury and suddenly he's useless. Drinkwater has one or two bad games recently and it's because he's tired. They have both been great performers this season, just as Drinkwater has played himself back into form, I'm sure Dyer will too. 

Dyer's good games were due to his blinding pace. Teams have cottoned on how to play him.

His first touch is still nearly always atrocious, his shot is terrible but does sometimes fluke at speed into the net, and his crosses are above average.

Love the guy's heart and his love of Leicester but he's not prem standard.

Guest MattP
Konch doesn't have the legs to cover that guy last night. He would've picked up a yellow if not a red. The attacker was electric and Lucky.

He handled everything Reading threw at him no problem when we beat them 1-0 at Christmas, can't remember if McCleary played but Paul was solid as ever at the back.

See post below.

Struggling to see what he did right.

Good passes? No.

Important tackles? No.

Regular tackles? No.

Effective cover for the back four? No.

What in particular did he do well other than stand in the middle and make up the numbers?

Passing was improved, won a few tackles and headers. He's nothing on James but he really wasn't bad last night.

We've got used to winning too much... A point away at Reading is always a good result, especially with our record at the Madejski. Everything good came through Drinkwater and Mahrez and Vardy always looks dangerous running the channels. Defensively Morgan and Wasyl had poor games but were up against a good quality forward, probably Premier League standard. Schlupp was not at all convinving but yet again was up against a Prem quality winger in McCleary, be surprised if there aren't a few bottom 10 clubs looking at him in the summer.

Highlights the areas we need to strengthen next season definitely, but a good point nonetheless. People are thinking we're a Premier League side already when in reality this is not the side we will line up with next year, this is a side compiled to compete in the Championship, not the Premier League and the fans have to remember that.

Well got home at 1:52am, on the performance itself it was..... reasonable that would be the right word. This was going to be no easy game judging by Reading's position in the league, I felt personally our first half performance was a little sloppy apart from of course scoring and having a disallowed goal, though I don't think our problems were upfront it was more at the back. Our marking wasn't so good and we weren't closing down enough! Luckily second half our defence improved and Reading didn't real trouble us second half. Second half it was certainly our game, I was pleased how we took control but frustrated at the amount of miss passes or wasted opportunity's we had at up front. It seemed our problems on the night switched from at that back to the upfront. I do question the subs we made, I felt the substitutions we made slowed down the game plus maybe the wrong players came off. Anyway once again one good point and a step forward towards the trophy! 

At the end of the day a draw was a fair result, I would have took a draw before we traveled.

Oh god now it's this old chestnut, 'Drinkwater was 'allowed' to do his thing because of Hammond'.

All these meaningless cliches. It's just total rubbish. Drinkwater isn't good because some other bloke stands in front of the back 4 and does nothing.

I completely disagree. There's a very good reason why King and Drinkwater very rarely alongside each other in midfield.

Against Brighton, it was horrific. King is a front foot player. However he kept coming short and putting players into corners with poor passes.

Tail end of last season when DD was playing poor, it was King and James with Jamo doing the nasty stuff. Have a look at how many times the introduction of King as been followed by Hammond when it comes to sub appearances. Similarly when players were rested, it's normally been both DD and Jamo.

I was with you until you started defending Hammond.

Please, the man is way too off the pace at this level and to suggest he contributes by standing in front of players is laughable. I expect a lot more from my central midfielder. Maybe he did win every tackle, but I can't remember him actually making any. If he won one or two tackles that isn't enough.

It's no good just backing off players and refusing to actually take any responsibility like he did tonight.

Terrible player, he does bugger all. Now James, he wins tackles, he also properly contributes, he doesn't just stand there and make out he's doing something useful. You can see the difference between these two players.

I think you need a deeper understanding of the tactical side of the game to see Hammond's contribution. If you watch a game by just following the ball all the time then players like Hammond will pass you by. My cat just follows the ball, and she don't rate Hammond either.

He was OK last night. He's no Matty James, but a solid enough replacement to have at this level.

And here's the controversial one (this is where I will be shot down, but hey ho here goes), I really worry about Kasper. One of the best shot stoppers I've seen, but he does not win enough of those high balls in the box. Whenever there is a corner or a set piece that will be crossed in, I am nervous. Yes it is the whole defence's responsibility, but I would love a keeper that dominates their box or at least their six yard box.

There you go, I know it appears sacrilege to criticise Kasper, but that's just my observation.

Yes I see where your coming from, but weve seen on our books, Banks, Shilton, Wallington, Keller, Walker, Flowers...etc, it took them awhile before they commanded the box, but were confidence boosters on the high ball.Kasper seems to shout at his defence after the event, and rarely before, I do believe like you he really is a top shot stopper, two great examples last night.

His one on one all year, he must be be in the top 10 for that in the top 2 leagues

I think he's one of the best shot stoppers in the country.

His lack of dominance of his box has co-incided with us being totally inept at defending set pieces for 3 years I reckon. Skrtel will bag a hat-trick lol

I think he's one of the best shot stoppers in the country.

His lack of dominance of his box has co-incided with us being totally inept at defending set pieces for 3 years I reckon. Skrtel will bag a hat-trick lol

Isn't he a pokemon?

I completely disagree. There's a very good reason why King and Drinkwater very rarely alongside each other in midfield.

Against Brighton, it was horrific. King is a front foot player. However he kept coming short and putting players into corners with poor passes.

Tail end of last season when DD was playing poor, it was King and James with Jamo doing the nasty stuff. Have a look at how many times the introduction of King as been followed by Hammond when it comes to sub appearances. Similarly when players were rested, it's normally been both DD and Jamo.

And yet with King/Drinkwater as our midfield 2 we sat top of the league at the start of December.

Archived