inckley fox Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 There are a few reasonable question marks over Vardy / Nugent up front but I think the bigger doubts must hang over our defence. As far as I'm aware we don't have one defender taller than 6'1 (which may help explain our frailties from set pieces) and the defence which ended our season had an average age of 31 and, De Laet aside, some distinct pace issues. I'm not sure what Upson brings to it, frankly, except experience and a left foot. Wes had a decent season but a few dips in form and some costly aberrations along the way. As our captain it would be massively unsettling if we had to pull him out of the first team even once and yet at 30 he's still to make his PL debut. I'd say there are also major concerns as to whether Upson (35, offloaded after looking shaky at Stoke two years ago) and Wasilewski (34, and at times shown up for pace in the second tier) will be able to step up at their age. One more season in the Championship would have been a big enough challenge for those two. Moore and De Laet are major hopes for the coming season, but the former was out of our side after Xmas and has never played at the highest level, while the latter has his defensive frailties and was a nightmare in his brief PL stint for Norwich. On the left I'm convinced Schlupp can make the grade, but he's inexperienced - even at second tier level - and while Konchesky's experience is valued, he has been one of our weaker links for a couple of seasons now. We won't necessarily need new signings in all three defensive berths, at least not all at once over the summer, but there's a lot of work to be done on this defence before August.
MC Prussian Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Yes it's my Crystal ball mate. Me: "we have got a good chance" You: "explain your doom and gloom attitude". Hehe... Don't you have any balls of your own you can use? I wish you would stop trying to peek at mine. You still haven't answered my question regarding your attitude with regards to how we'd fare against the "big" clubs, hence the use of "doom and gloom". 3 1/2 hours and counting...
inckley fox Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 When we play France, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man united we will look second best and get well beaten. When we play Stoke, West Brom Sunderland Burnly QPR etc etc etc we have got a good chance. How many different ways does this need explaining? The sides that did just enough to stay up picked up a few points from those five teams. To take the Mick McCarthy approach and give up games against the top 5/6 teams before you have even kicked off sends out the wrong sort of message and effectively surrenders 30+ points before the season has even begun. I remember Adams saying he wasn't really bothered about losing to Manchester United because anything you get out of them is a bonus. And yet, to stay up, you will have to get something out of some of these teams. Foxestalk will implode if we go into the season with this approach. 10-12 games where we are immune from criticism because 'we always knew we'd be second best', then another 25 or so matches where we'll panic if we don't get anything. I'm sure Pearson will go into every game telling his players that they can get something out of it.
Lambert09 Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Not a reaction to this game in anyway but Im genuinely only confident one of our defenders will be good enough next season, and thats Ritchie. I hope the others prove me wrong, but im worried about the lack of pace our cbs have and I really dont think schlupp is experienced enough. I
Fox Ulike Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 You still haven't answered my question regarding your attitude with regards to how we'd fare against the "big" clubs, hence the use of "doom and gloom". 3 1/2 hours and counting... Yes cos it feels like 3 1/2 months. You want me to explain why I think Manchester City will beat us next season? Painful.
Manwell Pablo Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 They do look good but they're playing Jamaica - let's not forget, please. Honduras
MC Prussian Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Yes cos it feels like 3 1/2 months. You want me to explain why I think Manchester City will beat us next season? Painful. Cardiff, Aston Villa and Sunderland beat Manchester City at home last season - what makes you think we won't hold up our own against them or any other of the "big" teams? It's your evasion tactics that is rather painful. And so is your doom and gloom attitude.
Fox Ulike Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 The sides that did just enough to stay up picked up a few points from those five teams. To take the Mick McCarthy approach and give up games against the top 5/6 teams before you have even kicked off sends out the wrong sort of message and effectively surrenders 30+ points before the season has even begun. I remember Adams saying he wasn't really bothered about losing to Manchester United because anything you get out of them is a bonus. And yet, to stay up, you will have to get something out of some of these teams. Foxestalk will implode if we go into the season with this approach. 10-12 games where we are immune from criticism because 'we always knew we'd be second best', then another 25 or so matches where we'll panic if we don't get anything. I'm sure Pearson will go into every game telling his players that they can get something out of it. No-one is saying that we should "give up games". That would be ridiculous.
LC/FC Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Some of you muppets I swear don't even get football in the slightest. It's not just about form and predicted results. On any given day any football team can beat any other football team. If football was played on expected and assumed results then Barca would have won everything again this year and Athletico Madrid would not be champions of La Liga this year, but it didn't. Football is one of the most surprising games there can be, with the upsets it can generate and surprising results that spring up. Some of you have about as much footballing knowhow with your pessimism as a Sun journalist... for the bizzare section.
Manwell Pablo Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 If he struggles at International level, then it stands to reason he will struggle in the Premiership. As will the likes of Moore. Not really, Kenneth. As I originally said the opinion that he will struggle is one to be taken seriously but basing it off one international game is a rather silly thing to do.
Bert Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 HondurasHonduras qualified for the World Cup though. One of only 32 teams to do so. Finishing above Mexico in their hexagonal group. (who most people would no doubt say are better than England.)Jamaica didn't.
Manwell Pablo Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Honduras qualified for the World Cup though. One of only 32 teams to do so. Finishing above Mexico in their hexagonal group. (who most people would no doubt say are better than England.) Jamaica didn't. Oh don't get me wrong Honduras are a better side than Jamaica. We should still be putting them away two or three nil comfortable though and we were guff and hardly looked like scoring, Italy Uruguay Brasil and Spain have also made meals over a few of the warm up games, where as France most people would of been impressed with a 5-0 over Jamaica never mind 8.
davieG Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/09/jamaica-fans-react-to-austin-morgans-performance-against-france/?
Miquel The Work Geordie Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Honduras Honduras are a little better than Jamaica, aren't they? I know not a massive gulf but they're a better side.
Manwell Pablo Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Honduras are a little better than Jamaica, aren't they? I know not a massive gulf but they're a better side. Yeah, but see reply to Bert.
Miquel The Work Geordie Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Yeah, but see reply to Bert. Ahhhhhhhhh
MC Prussian Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/09/jamaica-fans-react-to-austin-morgans-performance-against-france/? Reinforces the notion that Jamaica were poor collectively and that Rudolph Austin in particular had a terrible game. My hope is that Morgan will have taken some notes on his performance and take it from there. Also, it was only his fifth competitive game with the national squad since his first call-up last September and he should fit more into it over the course of the summer. Next stop would be the friendly against Canada in early September.
docho66 Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 Well, I think Wes will need a big pick me up when he gets back to Leicester.
Hungry Hungry Fox Posted 9 June 2014 Posted 9 June 2014 I think that French performance would've defeated just about anyone Jamaica are not as bad as that game suggests, they had decent performances against Switzerland and Egypt in their 2 previous games
dayday Posted 10 June 2014 Posted 10 June 2014 The 2012/13 season Wes was brilliant,last season not so good...whether that was down to so many central pairings I don't know,I just hope he is not in decline.
65RosesFox Posted 10 June 2014 Posted 10 June 2014 The 2012/13 season Wes was brilliant,last season not so good...whether that was down to so many central pairings I don't know,I just hope he is not in decline. I don't think it was the case that Wes wasn't as good last season. I think it was because he had a better standard alongside him, so he didn't stand out as much as the better centre half.
Manwell Pablo Posted 10 June 2014 Posted 10 June 2014 I don't think it was the case that Wes wasn't as good last season. I think it was because he had a better standard alongside him, so he didn't stand out as much as the better centre half. Nah, it really was. Had much better season in 12/13.
Jimmy Posted 10 June 2014 Posted 10 June 2014 I personally felt both Wasyl and Liam outshone Wes when paired with him last season, teams seemed to be targeting Wes last season
Miquel The Work Geordie Posted 10 June 2014 Posted 10 June 2014 Others benefit from having Wes alongside them, for me. Not quite hit the highs of 12/13 last season, but he's still colossal, even if he wasn't captain I think he'd have remained a constant.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.