Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This gave me a chuckle 

It’s almost as if people think road tax is for the road upkeep. lol

(it’s comes out of general taxation)

• Like 1

After weeks of failing to be able to purchase even my second, third or fourth choice bikes, finally managed to order a new road bike from Decathlon. Can't wait

I'm currently riding a Voodoo mountain bike that's done about 7,000 miles and is creaky as fvck, can't wait for the effortless riding I'll hopefully be experiencing in a week's time

• Like 1

Cycled via the canal from Birstall to Kilby Bridge and back this morning, clocked up 35 odd miles and I feel superb. Only bought a pretty run of the mill jobby last year when I was living in the middle of Nottingham because I can't run to save my life and I've grown attached to her, she does me proud, baby!

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 02:06, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Not been on a bike for years but got an old cheapo basic thing in the garage so took it out for a spin.

Did 19k on Monday ... the seat, even with a gel cover, is very uncomfortable.

If I can enjoy the seating I don't mind getting out and doing some distance.

A friend suggested going to Rutland Bikes by Fosse Park to get a new seat ... is that the best solution ?

I would get rid of the gel seat, all it does is allow your backside to take the impact of all the bumps and pot holes, on my tourer I’ve got a brooks saddle, hard leather and quite wide, you can sit on it for 100 miles and it’s so comfortable, on my road bike I have a sella italia, also very comfortable.

Edited by foxestalkisfullofidiots
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

I would get rid of the gel seat, all it does is allow your backside to take the impact of all the bumps and pot holes, on my tourer I’ve got a brooks saddle, hard leather and quite wide, you can sit on it for 100 miles and it’s so comfortable, on my road bike I have a sella italia, also very comfortable.

I got a new seat, and put the gel cover on top, and it's made a massive, positive difference.

• Like 1

This is my beautiful beast :wub: I’ve only had her since October 2019 as I was all signed up for Ride 100 to complete my London Classics but the universe had other ideas. She’s a decent entry level bike and has been a great introduction to cycling. 
Will look to upgrade her this winter and keep her as my winter bike as I need a lighter bike for duathlons and possibly triathlons. She’s a bit heavy on climbs but apart from that she’s a really enjoyable ride. 

Took her over to Bosworth Battlefields which was a 50 odd mile round trip. The advantage of where I live is so many decent routes right on my doorstep. 
Padded shorts and no pants are the way forward! I also use a Assos Chamois Cream and I’ve had no soreness or pain whatsoever. 

AC207206-89A2-47AC-9C11-7B9C2BF62D4B.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of selling my Specialized Secteur Sport X3 2014 Road Bike;  Basically never used, as new condition apart from the dust, been hanging on the wall in the garage.

Given the bike shortage at the moment, it seems some silly money is being paid on ebay!

Edited by Jon the Hat

A policeman Stopped my brother,Chasing his Bike down the hill...

He said eshcuse mo offisher,... at closing time, I just stand mi Bike up,

then just let mi Bike go down the hill,

and I just follow its curves  in a straight..line..hic

it seems to knows its own Way home...hic.

Edited by fuchsntf

16 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I’m looking to get back into cycling.

Have been looking at some used Boardman hybrids.

Does anyone know what range is a higher spec - The Sports or the Comps?

Cheers! 

I’m pretty sure that the sport was cheaper than the comp. The comp had disc brakes compared to the sports rim brakes. Speaking from experience, I’d go for the sport because the mechanical discs brakes on the comps are shite.

• 1 month later...

Did my first bikepacking tour last weekend - 230 miles in 4 days up to the Lake District and back from Liverpool.

Absolutely knackered afterwards and there were some downs but the weather was absolutely perfect all weekend. Can't wait for the next one, but need some work to do to my bike in the meantime as the rear cassette is knackered and I feel like I've had nothing but grief off the Campagnolo groupset I've got. 

20200831_085302.jpg?psid=1&width=831&height=623

20200831_121058.jpg?psid=1&width=831&height=623

20200831_140628.jpg?psid=1&width=831&height=623

20200831_190517%280%29.jpg?psid=1&width=831&height=623

20200901_165326.jpg?psid=1&width=831&height=623

• Like 2

Anyone had their bike stolen from a bike rack fitted to a car?

Someone had a go at mine when I was away last week.

The bike was mounted on a Thule bike rack installed on Skoda roof bars.

The roof bars have studs on the feet which engage on small holes with reinforced eyelets in the door frame. They can only be removed by opening all four doors. They are so secure and immoveable that they are virtually part of the car and you could probably pick up the car with them.

The Thule bike rack has a pivoting bar with a locking ratchet which engages on the down tube. The bike rack is also locked to the roof bars.

The pondlife vermin who fancied my favourite ride slashed the ratchet straps which secure the wheels to the bike rack but was stymied by the locked pivoting bar.

Both places that it could have happened were in broad daylight, quite busy and would have had CCTV.

Out of spite they slashed the tyres and then cleared off. Over £100 for two new tyres and tubes.

Any previous rack I have had they would have been able to get the bike off without too much of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/09/2020 at 18:31, Legend_in_blue said:

Mountain bikes I'm looking at are starting to come back in.  Want to try a Whyte 901 but stock very thin on the ground.  Patience required.

Probably a bit late but the guy who set up Whyte or the head designer was previously with Marin so maybe worth a look at those as well.

Bought a turbo trainer a few months back to try and build up some fitness and potentially give cycling on the road a go next Spring. So far the trainer has cost me £20 a mile as I haven’t had the will power to jump on it. Really impressed with it, given the few miles I have done so far though 😂

I'm a commuter only  cyclist  doing about 8 miles a day. The only reason I'd jump in the car is if its icy/ snowy or ALREADY  p!ssing it down as I'm about to leave for work.

Got a Trek hybrid which is brilliant BUT was contemplating getting a decent mountain bike for the cold sh!tty weather for the extra protection of decent tyres.

47 minutes ago, Raj said:

I'm a commuter only  cyclist  doing about 8 miles a day. The only reason I'd jump in the car is if its icy/ snowy or ALREADY  p!ssing it down as I'm about to leave for work.

Got a Trek hybrid which is brilliant BUT was contemplating getting a decent mountain bike for the cold sh!tty weather for the extra protection of decent tyres.

Much the same (12 miles), my advice is don't got for a mountain bike, unless your commute is over fields.  most serious crash I've had was as a result of knobbly tyres on a wet road. I turned, bike didnt.  if You are going for road tyres then stick with your hybrid, lighter and better all round imho.

I Wouldn't go back.

4 hours ago, pleatout said:

Much the same (12 miles), my advice is don't got for a mountain bike, unless your commute is over fields.  most serious crash I've had was as a result of knobbly tyres on a wet road. I turned, bike didnt.  if You are going for road tyres then stick with your hybrid, lighter and better all round imho.

I Wouldn't go back.

Yep I do think your right. I love my hybrid. I just look at the lovely Scott and Boardman  bikes in the bike shed and feel like I want one too.

I'm going to stick to my Trek hybrid...cheers bud x

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So finding a decent bike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  There is just nothing out there and when there is, stock disappears within hours of appearing.

Been some decent Whyte bikes for sale (901s - £1600) but without anywhere being open I'm reluctant to spend a tidy sum on something I haven't seen or tested out beforehand.

Waiting patiently, I'm now thinking of a Whyte 429.  Nothing in stock anywhere in the UK though.  :rolleyes: