Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

MLS

They'll be the 3rd team in LA though.I know there's 18 million in Los Angeles but if you were interested in football surely you'd be supporting one of the others by now?

What other team are you talking about, LA Galaxy II?

LAFC looks dead set on getting a stadium site where the current LA Sports Arena is. With as big and sprawling of a metro area as LA is, I can see LAFC getting a foothold with Angelinos in the city and the Galaxy (which play about 15 miles outside of downtown LA in Carson) owning the suburbs, though not everything will be cut and dry.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown in zip codes of current LAG season ticket holders to see where they come from now.

Another LA destination team for past it EPL players to be hand picked on.

Hoping to catch a TFC game or 2 this upcoming season. Been twice and each time it was truly hard to watch but trying to be more supportive of it. Just need to immerse myself in the hooligan section.

Any of you boys make a trek up to the tdot to catch a game lemme know. I live about 30 to 40 minutes away from BMO field.

Surely being Drake you get free tickets and go for cocktails with Giovinco every Wednesday?

Glad to see it's 'football' club and not soccer.

Don't know how a club that doesn't exist yet can have fans

28D62FE800000578-0-image-a-38_1431992249

but it must be quite exciting. I wish I had some money to invest in one of these clubs.Be great to get in on the ground floor.

I think there are a lot of fans of the sport that have no team. The closest MLS team to me is nearly 300 miles away.

Detroit Foxes anyone?

What other team are you talking about, LA Galaxy II?

LAFC looks dead set on getting a stadium site where the current LA Sports Arena is. With as big and sprawling of a metro area as LA is, I can see LAFC getting a foothold with Angelinos in the city and the Galaxy (which play about 15 miles outside of downtown LA in Carson) owning the suburbs, though not everything will be cut and dry.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown in zip codes of current LAG season ticket holders to see where they come from now.

Aren't Chivas LA based?

Chivas USA was doomed to fail from the beginning, but MLS needed to make a quick buck after some really difficult years. In 2002, the league had "contracted" from 12 teams to 10 after getting rid of two teams, and from founding to 2004, the league lost $350m.

I'm not sure why Chivas thought that fans that wouldn't show up to watch MLS in Carson would show up to the same stadium to watch a watered-down version of the original product (and, aside from a year or two, what was a terrible MLS team).

LAFC at least makes a little more sense than Chivas USA. In the end, it may well turn out to be worth the Chivas USA nonsense for the league, who took over the franchise and flipped it to LAFC's owners for a cool $110m expansion fee (all paid up front).

Also note that there are two LA-area teams in most sports here (Lakers/Clippers, Dodgers/Angels [Anaheim], Kings/Ducks [Anaheim], and within the next few years, two NFL franchises could relocate to the new LA stadium).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

The game took place in late April already, but this was LA FC's first home game in their new Bank Of California Stadium in the downtown area, a 1-0 win over Seattle:

http://mscom1.matchat.online/player/49313

Scenes at the end.

It seems like the MLS is doing a good job of awarding franchises. Atlanta, LAFC and Minnesota all have wonderful support and have raised the level of the MLS. 

23 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

It seems like the MLS is doing a good job of awarding franchises. Atlanta, LAFC and Minnesota all have wonderful support and have raised the level of the MLS. 

What's the likelihood of a franchise being able to survive in a bankrupt Detroit?

Seen a lot about the downfall of the city, the poverty, desolation and decay in the centre. There's this great book by two French photographers that's pretty impressive.

Other than that, I'm fascinated by these pictures:

http://detroiturbex.com/content/ba/index.html

Detroit is an interesting case. They're getting over 5,000 a game at Detroit City in the NPSL with a real grass-roots effort, right? @Detroit Blues can probably speak about this much better than I can.

The best thing MLS is doing is adding new teams with downtown stadiums.

I don't know if Rooney is going to enjoy himself here... DC United is a pretty awful team and it gets really hot here in the summer lol. He'll get a good payday, though. DC needs some sort of a big name to fill their new stadium.

@MC Prussian -So MLS in Detroit is more complicated than you would imagine. Like @Jordan said, we have a very successful semi-pro team in the 4th tier of American Soccer. If this was any other country, Detroit City FC could fight for promotion and organically grow bigger and bigger. There is a small, but passionate fanbase that supports the team. I do not want to generalize them, but they are basically white "hipsters." Many of them are educated, make good money, and have chosen to move back into the city. Many of them follow the Premier League, and generally have a less than favorable view about the corporate aspects of the MLS system. However, to get a MLS bid, you need bigger financial backing than what Detroit City FC currently has.

The city of Detroit has a potential backer in a Billionaire named Dan Gilbert. You may recognize him, because he is the current owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) and about 8 years ago he had a huge falling out with Lebron James. Dan Gilbert owns a lot of real estate in Detroit, and the headquarters of his business (Quicken Loans) is in located in the downtown area. Dan Gilbert wants to bring a MLS team to Detroit under his ownership, and wants to build a soccer specific stadium in the downtown area. All of this sounds good so far, right?

The issue is he wants control of the team, and he probably wants public funds to build the stadium (or at least acquire the land). There is a perfect spot for the stadium. I wish i was joking, but it's a partially constructed prison that is sitting vacant in the downtown area. Why would we build a prison in a downtown area??? Just wait for it.... It's next to an existing prison that is currently being used. We did not have enough space for more prisoners, so we wanted to build another one.... right in the heart of downtown. Several years ago, during construction, the project was running so far behind, and so over budget that the city abandoned the plans. About 3-4 months ago it seemed like the city would just give Dan Gilbert the land if he agreed to do something positive with it. That seems like it fell through.

The other issue is, there are not enough soccer fans in the city to support two teams. Detroit City FC supporters would not likely support a separate MLS team that came to Detroit. However, without these passionate fans, the MLS franchise would not have the atmosphere that would attract new fans to the game. 

Until these two groups can settle their differences, I can't see a MLS team thriving. However, if they could work out an arrangement, there is absolutely the financial power and grassroots passion for the game to make a successful team here. Though you see the worst of Detroit in the news, there are four professional sports teams that are well supported. The city has made a pretty distinct turnaround in the last 8 years or so. I could get into the specifics but that would be another 10 paragraphs or so.

• 3 weeks later...

New addition to the MLS next season!

FC Cincinnati will be the 26th team by announcement to compete in the league; the 24th effectively, as Miami and Nashville will join a year later.

Edited by MC Prussian

• 6 months later...

FC Cincinnati's stadium gets its groundbreaking:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/18/fc-cincinnati-break-ground-ambitious-instantly-recognizable-stadium

Plus, Leonardo Bertone (Young Boys Berne) goes FCC, as do the club radio moderators - Cincinnati's Social Media manager Alex Stec (formerly with the Columbus Crew) goes the opposite way.

Just a week ago, Cincinnati acquired Kendall Waston from the Whitecaps. And Polish goalkeeper Tyton has joined on a free.

And they're now also after Mönchengladbach's Fabian Johnson.

Promising signs.

• Like 1

I find a lot of the whole smoke bombs, capos, choreo thing to be a little tedious and masturbatory (I don’t even know if that’s a word).

But the kids like it, and they can have fun with it. 

There are so few areas in American culture where we sing passionately as groups—we’re not talking about much more than black churches and 2nd-generation weddings. Communal singing has been something that’s made human beings human from prehistoric times, yet it’s conspicuously absent here and now.

Sure, every MLS supporters club has more than a few poseurs. But even though Taylor’s smoke bomb isn’t fooling anyone, I’m glad he or she is having a good time and—in a roundabout way—being human.

(edit to add that wearing scarves in the summertime is completely unnecessary, though.)

Edited by Jordan
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 19/12/2018 at 08:17, MC Prussian said:

FC Cincinnati's stadium gets its groundbreaking:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/18/fc-cincinnati-break-ground-ambitious-instantly-recognizable-stadium

Plus, Leonardo Bertone (Young Boys Berne) goes FCC, as do the club radio moderators - Cincinnati's Social Media manager Alex Stec (formerly with the Columbus Crew) goes the opposite way.

Just a week ago, Cincinnati acquired Kendall Waston from the Whitecaps. And Polish goalkeeper Tyton has joined on a free.

And they're now also after Mönchengladbach's Fabian Johnson.

Promising signs.

FCC have gone through growing pains—some expected, but some not (the whole Mercy Health sponsorship thing when the nurses are on strike, sacking Koch, some rumors that the symbolism in their logo signifies Christian dominionist beliefs of their owners), but in general, they look like they have a good platform to really grow.

But most importantly, everyone’s favorite Swiss Leicester fan gets bonus points for spelling “Waston” correctly :P

As for everyone else, if you follow MLS closely, I’d bet you would agree with me that this year’s season has more compelling storylines than the beginning of last season (aside from the Crew saga).

Edited by Jordan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/05/2019 at 06:53, Jordan said:

FCC have gone through growing pains—some expected, but some not (the whole Mercy Health sponsorship thing when the nurses are on strike, sacking Koch, some rumors that the symbolism in their logo signifies Christian dominionist beliefs of their owners), but in general, they look like they have a good platform to really grow.

But most importantly, everyone’s favorite Swiss Leicester fan gets bonus points for spelling “Waston” correctly :P

As for everyone else, if you follow MLS closely, I’d bet you would agree with me that this year’s season has more compelling storylines than the beginning of last season (aside from the Crew saga).

Cincinnati with the worst MLS record this past season - allowing a record 75 goals against:

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/2019/10/06/opinion-looking-back-fcc-s-first-mls-season

Still can't see why they sacked Koch and handed the coaching manual over to a 29-year old. They also paid the price for a rather weak and thin roster. Reinforcements needed now.

• 2 weeks later...