Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

MLS

Appreciated your well-written answer but I wonder if people said the same after 94 World Cup but it is 21 years on now and the progress has not quite happened?

We've made so much progress since 1994 that I couldn't even begin to start listing all the ways the sport is so much bigger and better now compared to then--I just wouldn't be able to finish.

Go figure.

He's always seemed like a terrible pro and I never thought he'd take the Orlando gig seriously.

I wouldn't even have him on NYC and we're at the point where we may start picking fans from the stands to play in the back four, because they couldn't do any worse than the defenders we have now.

Go figure.

He's always seemed like a terrible pro and I never thought he'd take the Orlando gig seriously.

I wouldn't even have him on NYC and we're at the point where we may start picking fans from the stands to play in the back four, because they couldn't do any worse than the defenders we have now.

First MLS game I have watched in full tonight. My god. I expected the standard to be higher than I saw, the amount of misplaced passes and inability to read the game was crazy.

It must be frustrating to watch your team continually get beaten by a simple chip over the top haha. Did I hear the commentator correctly when he said Nigel reo-coker was playing for Montreal?!

St Ledger's been released by Orlando City for a 'serious breach of club policy'

Thought it was to open up an international slot for a younger player?

I assume he's probably been partying a little bit too hard and never really warmed up to being a role model on the pitch.

Similar theories can be found here:

http://www.themaneland.com/2015/8/1/9084249/orlando-city-confirms-sean-st-ledger-waived-for-serious-breach-of

First MLS game I have watched in full tonight. My god. I expected the standard to be higher than I saw, the amount of misplaced passes and inability to read the game was crazy.

It must be frustrating to watch your team continually get beaten by a simple chip over the top haha. Did I hear the commentator correctly when he said Nigel reo-coker was playing for Montreal?!

It was maddening to see the NYC defense look stupid letting Montreal get behind them on random 70-yard hoofs down the field.

NYC's defense is particularly awful, but there's been a goal-scoring bonanza going on across the league. I don't know if it's because the league has, in general, signed much better attacking players this season than defenders (perhaps even at the expense of defending). It could also be due to the dog days of summer (there have been heat waves across the country), with the high temperatures really wearing down on players. Today's NYCFC game kicked off at 2 pm, and the high temperature got to about 90 F (about 32 F). It was the same type of weather for the 4-4 draw vs Toronto a few weeks ago (it might have been a bit more hot and humid that day).

As a (small) sample, here are the scores for today's games that have finished as of now: 

NYC 2-3 Montreal

DC 6-4 Salt Lake :o

Philadelphia 1-3 Red Bulls

New England 3-1 Toronto

Orlando 5-2 Columbus

6 games, 30 goals. That's absurd, even by MLS' standards.

Edited by Jordan

Its tough at times to watch MLS because of the lack in quality but you have to accept it for what it is. When i said before it was like league 2 football i wasnt joking. Next to the prem league its bush league.

Change your expectations and you will find a reason to enjoy and support your team. For us lcfc deprived in north america its a great way to enjoy the game we love. Nothing will ever beat the prem league but gotta enjoy it :)

Tranquillo Barnetta's somewhat disappointing debut for the Union: First, he causes Wright-Phillips to stumble within Philadelphia's penalty box (sold well, as pointed out by the commentators) and then his team goes on to lose 3-1 against the Red Bulls.

As a neutral it was quite entertaining at times, I was just a little upset at NYC as I had a bet on them haha. It wasn't meant to sound disrespectful, I think I was basing the standards on the US football team which has impressed me a lot when I have seen them.

I watched the highlights of the Leicester game last night and couldnt believe the difference in pace and quality.

Im sure it will continue to improve season after season. I will probably give it another watch over the season, especially as sky sports are showing some games.

Mls defending :nigel: what the ****.

I sat and watched this rounds highlights on sky news over the weekend, one of the most horrendous things I've ever seen. The septics need to stop signing all these star midfielders and forwards and actually lure a centre back or two over the pond.

What a mess.

People take the piss out of the women's game but all of a sudden I can genuinely see why that's popular in the states because the men's league is literally no better. Yikes.

The DC 6-4 and the Revs games were particularly bad. The goals in the nycfc, Red Bull and galaxy games were pretty horrendous too.

Jordan, honest question, do you think it's done deliberately (I don't mean match fixing or anything so dirty, more the ridiculous weighting of squads towards attackers over defenders) because franchise owners think American sports fans will only get involved in high scoring sports?

The USA seemed to get a lot of kicks out of Tim Howard and valiantly defending in the WC. What happened?!

Edited by Finnegan

Finnegan, I think your question gets to the point. There is a trend around the league to build teams around attacking players. I think it's less pandering to fans thinking we'll only watch high-scoring games and more pandering to fans by bringing in big-name players.

For the tl;dr crowd, yeah, our defending sucks and it's just the way the league rosters and team wage bill priorities are at the current moment.

MLS is a salary cap league with some rules that allow leeway, most notably the "designated player" rule (once aka the "Beckham Rule"). Most of the DPs that are coming over are forwards attack-minded midfielders, and teams are spending money in those areas but trying to build defenses on the cheap.

It's also an expansion year, which saw two new teams added in NYC and Orlando. This also probably dilutes the league's worth of defensive talent a bit. NYCFC wound up getting a lot of crap defenders in the expansion draft and have spent all season trying to patch holes with foreign signings and Man City loanees.

Montréal signing Laurent Ciman from Standard Liège is exactly the type of signing you're hinting at, and exactly the types of signings the league needs to make more of.

Some of this has to do with some of our defenders just not being very good (or not very good "yet"). The national team is seeing a little bit of a changing of the guard in defense, with a lot of our NT defenders being young (with a few of them playing abroad). Our current crop of defenders have a bit of development to do in order to get to a higher level. A defender I'd keep my eyes on is Matt Miazga, who's come up through the Red Bulls academy.

There are a lot of young coaches in the league that perhaps lack tactical nous.

And finally, it's ****ing hot outside, and I don't blame players for not giving 100% every minute (particularly if one plays on a team that's going to make the playoffs anyway).

Edited by Jordan

As a neutral it was quite entertaining at times, I was just a little upset at NYC as I had a bet on them haha. It wasn't meant to sound disrespectful, I think I was basing the standards on the US football team which has impressed me a lot when I have seen them.

I watched the highlights of the Leicester game last night and couldnt believe the difference in pace and quality.

Im sure it will continue to improve season after season. I will probably give it another watch over the season, especially as sky sports are showing some games.

Most games are so bad they're good tbf. It's probably alright for us neutrals who can laugh at it for what it is.

MLS The land of the has beens and players who couldn't get a contract at a league 2 club

You can hardly praise to tbf, it's just a Western version of the leagues in China and UAE

MLS will certainly have it's fair share of games that are stinkers but I've seen plenty of games where either team could definitely take on a bottom-half PL having a poor day. While watching the NYCFC home opener vs. NE Revs, I couldn't help but to think that either team would have thrashed Leicester or Hull after that 0-0 draw.

Also, while reading this thread, I also can't help but to feel bad for The Horse's Mouth. It's a shame you don't have anything better to do than to troll on this thread.