Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

MLS

No mate..just having a little joke at Toronto's front office ineptitude. I don't think anyone would say the football City produced in the years leading to relegation to 1st div was enthralling but the real supporters still turned out. I take MLS for what it's worth, which is a good night out with my pals & the occasional decent match. 

Been watching this for 10 mins. Standard is laughable. The defenders' assist there... could've let it go out for a goal kick but instead crossed it across his own goalmouth for the opposition player to nod in!

Is there any incentives to doing well in the MLS, other than winning a trophy? Is there a serious equivalent of the CL? Relegation? Or is it just a 'show' for the fans to enjoy and the franchises to make money from?

I'm being quite ignorant here, I just can't see how there's anything to play for. I'm not being negative about the MLS, I'm just wondering what all the fuss is about.

Is there any incentives to doing well in the MLS, other than winning a trophy? Is there a serious equivalent of the CL? Relegation? Or is it just a 'show' for the fans to enjoy and the franchises to make money from?

I'm being quite ignorant here, I just can't see how there's anything to play for. I'm not being negative about the MLS, I'm just wondering what all the fuss is about.

All football is a show for the fans and for the franchises to make money from--the PL is perhaps the biggest example of this. ;)

MLS follows a typical American sports league format of a regular season (with teams playing other teams in their regional conference more than teams on the other side of the country), followed by a knock-out playoffs.

There is a continental competition, the CONCACAF Champions League. Four American teams qualify: the MLS Cup (playoffs) winners, the Supporters Shield (best regular season team) winners, the next best regular season team in the opposite conference of the SS winner, and the U.S. Open Cup (knock-out cup competition) winner.

There's no relegation to the second tier.

As ive said before mls is not that great. When "past it" prem league stars can go there and be amazing stars then it speaks for itself.

That said its great for the likes of folks like me who reside in canada/usa to see some great players over here. I think its working wonders for mls and over timeeeee things will get better.

MLS will never have the allure of european football but i need some fix lol.

Andrea Pirlo. That is all.

Cyle Larin's hat-trick was quite the treat, too. Especially the last goal was a cracker.

Oh, and that guy Kwadwo Poku in midfield for NYC looks like a real beast. Impressive ball control and strength.

Going to NYCFC games these days is just absurd. Stadium security must not be letting teams bring defenders inside... 4-4 last home game, and now a 5-3 win (with Kaka coming an inch from tying the game in stoppage time), plus Andrea friggin' Pirlo.

What a great day out... and my out of town friends let me borrow their season tickets today, too, so I got good value for my entertainment!

Cyle Larin's hat-trick was quite the treat, too. Especially the last goal was a cracker.

Oh, and that guy Kwadwo Poku in midfield for NYC looks like a real beast. Impressive ball control and strength.

Larin's a bright young player, and he made a notoriously porous NYC defense look... err, even more porous. NYC had to throw Colombian Jefferson Mena, who was just signed a few days ago, in early due to injury. While Mena showed some flashes of knowing how to defend and play the ball out of the back, he looked out of sync with his fellow defenders--no more so than when Larin had his sights on goal.

The last one was the best of the bunch. IIRC he had a lot of space but picked that corner out beautifully. Canada's got the best young talent they've maybe ever had, but they're going to need some more time to develop.

As for Poku, we love him! I'm not really sure how high his ceiling can be, but he is doing well, and deserved a chance to start after a few strong substitute performances in the league. He's a tank. Stattos credited him with 8 dribbles today, and I think he actually ran through all 8 of those opponents rather than dribbled around them.

Still recovering from David Villa tearing him a new one.

Yeah, boyyyyyyyyyy! lol

http://streamable.com/ajvm :thumbup:

Edited by Jordan

Jordan, do you think this is the real deal not just another spike in the interest before it drop off again? USA football seems to go through peak and troughs in the level of the interest.

Edited by The Blur

Jordan, do you think this is the real deal not just another spike in the interest before it drop off again? USA football seems to go through peak and troughs in the level of the interest.

Accounting for peaks, troughs, and noise, the sport continues to (on average) make steady progress in both popularity and quality.

Fans at soccer game here tend to be a lot younger than crowds at other sports. There are lots of 20- and 30-somethings that go to games and watch on TV. The demographics of soccer fans are beneficial to continued progress of the sport.

It's starting to get close to really being in there with the "big four" sports (I'm a huge hockey fan but even I think more people care about soccer than the NHL), it's just that there's more money in the NHL. Also, there are big segments of our population (especially Latin Americans) whose opinions are very much underrepresented and underappreciated. Latinos in the USA, especially, are also growing as a percentage of our population.

But Americans are into a lot of different things, so it's hard to have one sport grow from the fringe to become the new king. It will take a lot of heavy lifting to move the power order of sports.

We have advantages in terms of money and population, but we also have logistical issues and cultural differences that separate us from the established international elite way of developing players. The "academy" system is starting to take on (Red Bulls have a good academy, as one example), but it's still a new concept here.

Within 20 years, I see MLS established as a "Big Five" sports league, below the NFL, NBA, and MLB, but with support that rivals or exceeds the NHL in many areas. Sports fans will still watch more than one sport, and soccer fans will still watch the big leagues and competitions around the world. By that time, MLS will likely be better than Liga MX, and it would be able to at least be competitive against top South American clubs.

Developing young players into stars is a different matter. Money can buy a Pirlo, but only know-how can truly make one. I think it would take a generation (I'll stay with the 20 years theme) for us to be able to have a national men's team that could legitimately be considered a top 10 team, and that is still possibly a stretch because even some of the best countries in recent and all-time history go through barren spells.

• Like 1

Accounting for peaks, troughs, and noise, the sport continues to (on average) make steady progress in both popularity and quality.

Fans at soccer game here tend to be a lot younger than crowds at other sports. There are lots of 20- and 30-somethings that go to games and watch on TV. The demographics of soccer fans are beneficial to continued progress of the sport.

It's starting to get close to really being in there with the "big four" sports (I'm a huge hockey fan but even I think more people care about soccer than the NHL), it's just that there's more money in the NHL. Also, there are big segments of our population (especially Latin Americans) whose opinions are very much underrepresented and underappreciated. Latinos in the USA, especially, are also growing as a percentage of our population.

But Americans are into a lot of different things, so it's hard to have one sport grow from the fringe to become the new king. It will take a lot of heavy lifting to move the power order of sports.

We have advantages in terms of money and population, but we also have logistical issues and cultural differences that separate us from the established international elite way of developing players. The "academy" system is starting to take on (Red Bulls have a good academy, as one example), but it's still a new concept here.

Within 20 years, I see MLS established as a "Big Five" sports league, below the NFL, NBA, and MLB, but with support that rivals or exceeds the NHL in many areas. Sports fans will still watch more than one sport, and soccer fans will still watch the big leagues and competitions around the world. By that time, MLS will likely be better than Liga MX, and it would be able to at least be competitive against top South American clubs.

Developing young players into stars is a different matter. Money can buy a Pirlo, but only know-how can truly make one. I think it would take a generation (I'll stay with the 20 years theme) for us to be able to have a national men's team that could legitimately be considered a top 10 team, and that is still possibly a stretch because even some of the best countries in recent and all-time history go through barren spells.

Appreciated your well-written answer but I wonder if people said the same after 94 World Cup but it is 21 years on now and the progress has not quite happened?

Edited by The Blur