Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

MLS

Was discussing with friends over the weekend about the US national side and the fact the US population seem to have finally got into our beloved sport, this tournament they have played good football, they're fit and Klinsmann has them organised and very hard to beat. We seem to have adopted them along with Colombia as our teams to win the tournament.

Anyway, one of my mates suggested that the USA will be one of the best sides in the world within the next 20 years, to begin with we all laughed! Then he carried on, talking about the rise in the MLS league, the amount of players going over there (money obviously related) and the interest in 'soccer' now in the US. More and more kids are playing Soccer, more and more people are going to watch Soccer. Will the US invest more in Soccer? Coaches? We see more sides are adding to the MLS league every few years.

If they really to football, and they can invest in youth and football becomes a major sport in America then I can see it happening too.

God knows if any of you will agree, but there is a case for it.

Was discussing with friends over the weekend about the US national side and the fact the US population seem to have finally got into our beloved sport, this tournament they have played good football, they're fit and Klinsmann has them organised and very hard to beat. We seem to have adopted them along with Colombia as our teams to win the tournament.

Anyway, one of my mates suggested that the USA will be one of the best sides in the world within the next 20 years, to begin with we all laughed! Then he carried on, talking about the rise in the MLS league, the amount of players going over there (money obviously related) and the interest in 'soccer' now in the US. More and more kids are playing Soccer, more and more people are going to watch Soccer. Will the US invest more in Soccer? Coaches? We see more sides are adding to the MLS league every few years.

If they really to football, and they can invest in youth and football becomes a major sport in America then I can see it happening too.

It's possible but their athletes are already split over 4 major sports, they don't always manage to dominate Basketball or Ice Hockey on the international stages despite inventing them, boasting a population of 300 million, endless funding, and a healthy following. (American Football and Baseball don't carry any interest as international sports.)

Edited by Manwell Pablo

cant really add anything in depth, but i agree, its gathering momentum over there and they will become a very good side and have a strong league i think, i hear the only entities against the rise of soccer, are the other sports, but if baseball clubs can play a game nearly every day to a near full stadium, im sure theres enough fans to go around!

Not to go off topic, but Grandad: Lallana for £25 million. Is that good business? whats the guy done to justify being worth £25 million?

I'll discuss this when my ban from the LCFC section is uplifted mate. :D

I saw a good interview I think it was yesterday on SSN, with Cobi Jones.

And he said football in the US is getting very popular, and nowadays the depth of quality players has risen remarkably in the past couple of years, he said there was about 30 good players to choose from a couple years back, now there is around 50-60.

I'll also point out that I've really enjoyed watching them at this World Cup, all the players have played with their heart on their sleeves & have worked so hard in matches. The likes of Tim Howard, Fabian Johnson, Matt Besler, Kyle Beckerman, Jermaine Jones & Clint Dempsey have been outstanding.

Saying that those players are pretty experienced, but players like Yedlin, Brooks & Green are highly thought of, and are the future of US Football.

Be good to see the sport grow in the states, it is clear over the last few years they are improving. Very hard to beat, well organised unit. I'm sure just giving the size of the country they can improve far more.

Just wish our rubbish FA would get their heads out of the sand and start putting proper coaching systems in place.

In order for it to take off properly, they need to offer more football scholarships like they do for basketball and American football. Currently, it seems like it's just something you fetch your kids from after work. Nice to see their fans are enjoying the World Cup though.

Guest MattP

They will get better but it's still going to be hard as the vast majority of the kids will be drawn to NFL, Baseball or Basketball.

They already punch above their weight really.

I have three mates from different places who are all 20 and qualified football coaches. All of them have gone to the US to coach football this summer.

There seems to be a lot more interest and i had the exact same conversation earlier this week. Can definitely see them being a major force even in 10/15 years time.

USA's interest in football usually spikes at the World Cup and then dramatically drops off. Having said that, the general interest in football is growing and it's probably only a matter of time until they do win the World Cup.

USA's interest in football usually spikes at the World Cup and then dramatically drops off. Having said that, the general interest in football is growing and it's probably only a matter of time until they do win the World Cup.

Like the African teams, should win the World Cup soon... ;)

Guest MattP

Like the African teams, should win the World Cup soon... ;)

An African team will never win the World Cup in my lifetime, they won't have the tactical nouse. It appears it can't be taught, Glenn Hoddle was spot on the other week when he was saying they are still making the same mistakes as they were 40 years ago and they still will be in 40 years.

Add into that the greede and corruption they seem to have and it's a toxic mix.

Easy to say now during a World Cup, especially given it's the off season for 3 of there 4 major sports. Might be best to judge in a years time.

I'm sure of few of our yanks could tell us more but with the exception of a few teams the MLS isn't that well supported (Well at least attened)

But i do believe that more kids are playing than ever before, my boss who is a yank reckons it's because American Football due to all the issues with concussion injuries.

Guest ttfn

My uncle lives out there and seems to think it's a generational thing. With the Hispanic population ever-increasing and the world getting smaller every day, it's coming to the point whereby there are more people in America with a football background than a non-football background.

Once they really get it together there should be no stopping them.