Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

What's the best alternative OS to Windows 7?

The taskbar is still there. As is the start menu, in a more readily searchable format.

Also, the "run" feature can now be used by hitting the Win key and typing away.

I know you're defending it and everything but I'll never use it. I wasn't joining in.

I appreciate that but you just gave a list of three wholly incorrect things to make your point.

To be fair, ok they might they might be wrong, but that they were only based on having used it twice.

Currently running Elementary OS, Linux OS based on Ubuntu and it's a joy. Had no problems with printers/wifi/hardware like old Linux systems. Looks beautiful and runs smooth, much quicker than my Win8 partition, can even play FM on it

Currently running Elementary OS, Linux OS based on Ubuntu and it's a joy. Had no problems with printers/wifi/hardware like old Linux systems. Looks beautiful and runs smooth, much quicker than my Win8 partition, can even play FM on it

Ah, back on topic thanks for your input, I'll have alook at that.

Being a "fan" of any brand is perverse, a lot of consumers seem to have forgotten how to consume critically.

That would depend on your criteria wouldn't it? Brands each have their values, and companies their approach. You might choose the best available product for you, others might prefer to pick the product from the company they prefer.

Being a "fan" of any brand is perverse, a lot of consumers seem to have forgotten how to consume critically.

Don't get why you're making a massive deal out of it but here goes anyway. I can be critical, in fact, I am critical of some of my favourite companies. Just because a company I like brings out a product doesn't mean I automatically purchase it in some kind of fantasy world where everything they do I love.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said, maybe not, because I generally do like Google. Not just the variety and flexibility of their products, but how they are as a company and brand. As I said, they're supposed to be the greatest to work for and I've read articles and reviews that back this up.

It goes further than just a product in business. That said, I'm not business expert, I study IT and prefer Google over Microsoft and Google anyway. That choice may be different to you or somebody else, but for you to say I shouldn't think that or that opinion is wrong is incorrect. It's not up to you who I like, likewise it works the other way around as well although I am baffled at how you can then defend Microsoft. Each to their own though, that's what makes us individuals.

Have you installed google chrome on it as i've tried to and ended up with all sorts of problems?

Have you installed google chrome on it as i've tried to and ended up with all sorts of problems?

I have and mine seemed to work fine though, try googling your problems there's lots of forums with answers to most things or on the elementary website there's a live chat for help. Have you tried installing Chromium through the software centre? The same as Chrome pretty much but fully supported on Linux.

I have and mine seemed to work fine though, try googling your problems there's lots of forums with answers to most things or on the elementary website there's a live chat for help. Have you tried installing Chromium through the software centre? The same as Chrome pretty much but fully supported on Linux.

Will try asking someone, What's Chromium, can you sync you Chrome bookmarks to it?

Well, I use Google+, Mail, Drive, Docs, News, Chrome, Search, Maps, and YouTube.  

What's not to like about that?

And they're supposed to be a great company to work for.

Prefer them over Microsoft and even Apple.

Know people who worked for them and they would agree big time. Downside is that you become borderline brainwashed and are expected to live and breathe Google...

I've been on OS Mavericks since the day it came out and it is the business. So so far superior to windows.

I have windows 8 too and find it bordering on unusable.

I've been on OS Mavericks since the day it came out and it is the business. So so far superior to windows.

I have windows 8 too and find it bordering on unusable.

I agree, brilliant system and if you have other apple products - the ecosystem is brilliant. However, you can't install OSX on any PC's so you'd have to purchase a mac which can be an expensive business. I stick with the old adage that you get what you pay for.

I need an operating system for an old lap top as I removed my Vista from it and installed the Windows 7 that came with a desk top but it's saying it's illegal and wont up date.

Recommendations welcome they need to work with Google Chrome and Skype oh and to be simple to install and run.

give up on Windows completly and install Mint Linux. It really is dead easy and has an interface designed to make life easier for Windows switchers. I did on all PCs in my house and do not regret it. (no licence fees to Microsnot, no viruses, more secure, more stable  etc...)

I agree, brilliant system and if you have other apple products - the ecosystem is brilliant. However, you can't install OSX on any PC's so you'd have to purchase a mac which can be an expensive business. I stick with the old adage that you get what you pay for.

You can, google hackintosh.

give up on Windows completly and install Mint Linux. It really is dead easy and has an interface designed to make life easier for Windows switchers. I did on all PCs in my house and do not regret it. (no licence fees to Microsnot, no viruses, more secure, more stable  etc...)

Can you download google chrome and skype? Ive not managed that on Elementary OS.

Archived