Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Would You Start Schlupp At Left-Back?

That seems very harsh to me.

Just had a look through the programme to check that out. Schlupp played 15 league games at left back and the team conceded 9 goals and scored 27. That's an average of .6 goals per game conceded and 1.8  scored.

Konchesky played 31 games and we conceded 34 and scored 53 (ave 1.09 and 1.7).

That doesn't seem to suggest an incompetent Championship left back, and while I acknowledge that there are lies, lies and damn statistics, I have to say that to my eye Jeff played very well in that position for the vast majority of the time (I am a ST holder and saw 8 away games)

His performance against Reading has been mentioned, and whilst I agree that was not his best night, we could equally point to any player on particular occasions and question them, Schmeichel v Doncaster and Blackpool for example.

I, like all of us, simply do not know how he will cope in the Premier League, but then we must say that for all of our players with the exception of Albrighton. I personally think that if he commits to the position (which he has suggested in his interview this week), he has every chance of being as successful as any in our group. I very much hope so because he is a home-grown player of great potential and is more likely to fulfil that at Left back than striker in my humble opinion.

Good post...

Its amazing how some people say, this or that player, are not up to scratch, having the audacity, to presume other

Untried teamplayers will make the transition, because of personal preference.

Now seem's like nigel has his man I am curious to know if he will look at another left back? 3 left back's would be silly though right? not convinced by schlupp or konchesky! if konchesky play's he will get torn a new one, you heard it here first.

If I was manager - I would only start him if we couldnt sign another LB - we need a LB!!!

However, I'm not and NP is - we don't seemed to be linked with any LB's so I think he'll play quite a lot there. I think NP will go with Konck based on his experience but if Schlupp performs well when he comes in to the side, like he did last year. I think we may see him play there more often then not.

I've not seen one solid link to an LB this transfer window, so I can only assume it's a straight fight between Konch/Schlupp for the LB slot. Can't wait to see if Jeff has undergone a Vardy style summer transformation now he has got his head focused on being a left-back. It can't be great being stuck between two wildly different roles so hopefully his decision will help his development.

Hope I'm wrong but he might end up being one of those players who has all the attributes to be anything apart from the key thing he needs.

Could be a defender but can't defend, all the attributes to be a striker but can't finish.

What's the betting when we shove him on the wing eventually he can't cross?

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about him. As a striker he looks great until trying to score. Going forward he looks great until he tries to cross and defending he looks ok until he has to defend.

Ok he's still young but the game he played pre world cup for Ghana shows the kind of quality we are going to be facing. His one great strength is his pace. The question is does he have the tactical awareness and positional play to be able to use it to help out our creaking and rather slow central defenders or will it always be a case of him trying to get back into position when he has lost his man, as he does almost all the time.

It is a tough choice at the moment between solid and fairly reliable experience and raw pacey youth with some promise but far from the finished article.

Experience probably just edges it for me.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about him. As a striker he looks great until trying to score. Going forward he looks great until he tries to cross and defending he looks ok until he has to defend.

Ok he's still young but the game he played pre world cup for Ghana shows the kind of quality we are going to be facing. His one great strength is his pace. The question is does he have the tactical awareness and positional play to be able to use it to help out our creaking and rather slow central defenders or will it always be a case of him trying to get back into position when he has lost his man, as he does almost all the time.

It is a tough choice at the moment between solid and fairly reliable experience and raw pacey youth with some promise but far from the finished article.

Experience probably just edges it for me.

Seriously, a post like this sort of implies that coaching is redundant. There is no point to coaching and no point to paying top class coaches handsomely.

Football isn't only about innate talent and instinct. Players CAN be coached to play in different positions and this can happen throughout a player's career.

Schlupp has all the attributes. I sincerely hope he's being coached into becoming an established left back.

Seriously, a post like this sort of implies that coaching is redundant. There is no point to coaching and no point to paying top class coaches handsomely.

Football isn't only about innate talent and instinct. Players CAN be coached to play in different positions and this can happen throughout a player's career.

Schlupp has all the attributes. I sincerely hope he's being coached into becoming an established left back.

He describes him as a 'raw pacey youth with some promise but far from the finished article', which is exactly what he is. He's not the finished article yet and it showed in the Championship. I don't see him implying that coaching is redundant anywhere in that post, just that he'd rather us start with somebody who's solid at left back than somebody who was far from convincing last year in a lower league.

No it doesn't.

He said he was "only young" which usually means he isn't at his peak yet i.e. he could get better. The phrase "with some promise" was also used. Don't know why you think the bloke doesn't believe in coaching - he's clearly noted that Schlupp has plenty of time to grow as a player (with the help of coaches one would assume).

No it doesn't.

He said he was "only young" which usually means he isn't at his peak yet i.e. he could get better. The phrase "with some promise" was also used. Don't know why you think the bloke doesn't believe in coaching - he's clearly noted that Schlupp has plenty of time to grow as a player (with the help of coaches one would assume).

My suspicions were first aroused with the words.. 'defensively he's ok until he has to defend'. That's what I'm talking about. Coaches are paid to work with the defensive side of a game, both individually and collectively. I maintain, Schlupp has all the attributes to be an exceptional player. I've thought so for years. I hope he's being coached into being our left back for years to come.

I've put my neck on the line a bit here. But have confidence in the lad and our coaching team.

Saying that, you watch them go out and sign a 'proper' left back next week.

lol

Judging Schlupp on his performances for Ghana seems harsh as he's obviously playing with a set of defenders that he hasn't had much experience with.  I've always thought that defenders should be judged as part of the defensive unit they are part of, we don't seem to be bringing in many defenders and we've now got a group of defenders who've had a strong season together and will know each others games well.

In essence I say stick with Schlupp/Konchesky, unsure how many seasons Konchesky will have left so it seems likely we'd bring another full back in either in January or next Summer but promoting from within where possible can only benefit the club.

Guest LCFC_World

If we do not get a new left back, then yes i would. He has plenty of potential and can only improve, while i feel konchesky can only get worse. :( Anyway, I can see us lining up like this against Everton: (If the Ulloa transfer goes throgh)

Kasper

RDL  MORGAN MOORE SCHLUPP

MAHREZ DRINKWATER JAMES AlBRIGHTON

VARDY

ULLOA

shlupp is not as good as konch and neither of them are premier league full backs any more we need to invest some money to buy a new left back. shlupp is not a left back he only covered there when konch got his 3 match ban and then when he was struggling with his fitness.

Absolutely not. (and Kingfox this reminds me or a similar post you did about Bamba, I'd challenge you to name a worse left back as well)

Anyone who says yes should watch the Watford and Reading away games, I thought he was ok when we were at home to Charlton, Yeovil etc, but when he came up against any sort of quality we were torn to shreds down his side. He will be worked out twice as quickly in the PL and it could be absolute carnage in certain matches, the thought of Hazard and Azpilicueta or Silva and Zabaleta running at him gives me terrible visions.

I reality I think Nige will be going with Jeff for games against Burnley, Swansea, West Brom etc at home and Konchesky for the games v Arsenal, Man City etc.

Then we'll get morons on here still comparing the mistakes the two make.

I really don’t think Schlupp makes as many mistakes as some people think. I can’t even remember a goal for which I though he was culpable. He conceded one poor penalty last season (or the season before?) but apart from that he’s been pretty solid.

His pace at left-back is a huge asset and gets him out of most trouble. And if you think that we can afford any left-back who can keep Hazard or David Silva quiet then you're in for a disappointment.

It’s very harsh to say that he got ripped to shreds at Watford when we won 3-0 and Schluppy beats 2 men to lay a goal on for Knocky!

I would hate to see us spend big money to get someone who turns out to be no better than Schlupp.

So I say Yes, give Shluppy a chance. He’s not the finished article but he's only going to get better. After one full season of the Premiership we could have one of the best left-backs in the country. He just needs the chance to prove himself.

He's abslolute wank

Is he ****

He was Sunderlands player of the season whilst on loan there and was close to an England call up.....streets ahead of what we have and still young!

Also prem experience under his belt

Is he ****

He was Sunderlands player of the season whilst on loan there and was close to an England call up.....streets ahead of what we have and still young!

Also prem experience under his belt

He has been a bit of a sick note though

If you asked me to name one position I'd like to be strengthened I'd say left back and I'm guessing most others would also. Whether or not Schlupp is up to the PL is a different question but it's definitely a pretty big one.

Schluup will only get better with game time under his belt. I have faith that he would do a good job for us at left back. We should be looking at bringing in a LB to fight for the position and not go straight into the team. Give Schluup the chance to shine. The same with Moore. He should start the season alongside Morgan and nurture his talent. We could have the next England CB and dare i say future England captain

Guest MattP

Schluup will only get better with game time under his belt. I have faith that he would do a good job for us at left back. We should be looking at bringing in a LB to fight for the position and not go straight into the team. Give Schluup the chance to shine. The same with Moore. He should start the season alongside Morgan and nurture his talent. We could have the next England CB and dare i say future England captain

I think people are getting a bit carried away here, Schulpp, Moore and King all being talked about as Premier League regulars, surely if they were they would have nailed down first team spots in the Championship?

I think people are getting a bit carried away here, Schulpp, Moore and King all being talked about as Premier League regulars, surely if they were they would have nailed down first team spots in the Championship?

King had nailed it down until last season when Drinkwater and James's partnership became a big part of the team, but this year I'm sure he'll have a bigger part than last year. Moore looked great whenever he played and at 21 he can only get better. Schlupp could get better as well but I'm definitely not convinced that he should be first choice for left back this season, no.

Archived