Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Would You Start Schlupp At Left-Back?

Guest MattP

As far as I recollect, our great run coincided last season with Schlupp's presence in the team?

Of course I would. He has every attribute to be a superb premiership player. With the right coaching.

Schulpp came in after that didn't he?

As far as I recollect, our great run coincided last season with Schlupp's presence in the team?

Of course I would. He has every attribute to be a superb premiership player. With the right coaching.

To be fair we could have had Logan in the side and still gone on that great run.

To be fair we could have had Logan in the side and still gone on that great run.

lol

True..

If Schlupp is being coached on his defensive duties (that's his weakness), he can offer the club so much more than Konchesky down that left hand side. Hes younger, faster, stronger and can beat a full back with his pace when he gets forward. I have real high hopes for him, which I said early last season.

Schlupp and Moore are the future of the club IMO. The question is whether they are ready yet. I think Schlupp is.

Nope. Had too many poor games (really poor games at that) at Championship level for me to put too much confidence him. Played well at times but often in easy games like Charlton and Ipswich.

I'd have thought even those who think he's ready would accept that LB is our weakest position. If that's the case then you can't be very concerned about relegation. If Schlupp's ready then the rest of the squad will have no trouble at all in the prem.

I think a lot of the concern about the squad is, as usual, exaggerated but I am a touch frustrated that Pearson appears to be neglecting this position.

I hope the lad proves us wrong and cements himself in the LB role. Obviously has attacking qualities which could turn him into a very good attacking full back.

He does need to keep his head down and work on his defensive duties though. He is nowhere near PL standard but with the right coaching who knows.

Konchesky is past it now but his experience could prove to be vital.

Schlupp to start vs Everton.

Guest MattP

I think it's telling that some of those saying yes to this question note that Schlupp's weaknesses are his defensive attributes.

That shouldn't be the sort of thing we just gloss over IMO, it's something to be rather concerned about.

I think it's quite astounding. He's a defender. His job is to defend and if he can't do that to an extremely effective standard he simply cannot be part of a back line in the top flight.

I don't know. I personally think he's too light to be a left back. I don't understand why he hasn't tried being a left winger yet, he seems like he may be a decent replacement for Dyer. That's the thing with defenders; there's a greater risk putting out youth on that position than any other place on the field.

I say not yet, sign another but grow him into the game like what Pearson did with Moore on a January.

He has the makings to be a tremendous left back, speed, strength in abundance, good left foot, close control and seems a fit lad!! Only thing he needs to work on is his positioning which I'm sure Pearson is very well aware of and coaching it into him big style...

I'm looking forward to see how he does next season, can see him being our 1st team LB!!

Only way is SchluUP!!!

Yes.

He's been being groomed for it for a very long time now. So much he even sees himself as a left back, as said so in his interview in Austria.

More importantly that's where the management see his future. We must trust that they know more than us.

Got a few things to work on but he's going to make a good left back I think.

He has not been " groomed for it for a very long time at all. What did he go to Man united for what positioned did he play there ? He was slipped in as an emergency left back when stupid Konch got him self a ban . He did ok at championship level but even then against the good sides he was at six's and sevens. Not his fault he is by nature and talent a striker.

He will not have "time " to work on a few things , the prem is very unforgiving and we need a good left back now not when we are in the sh*t.

Guest MattP

Hope I'm wrong but he might end up being one of those players who has all the attributes to be anything apart from the key thing he needs.

Could be a defender but can't defend, all the attributes to be a striker but can't finish.

What's the betting when we shove him on the wing eventually he can't cross?

Hope I'm wrong but he might end up being one of those players who has all the attributes to be anything apart from the key thing he needs.

Could be a defender but can't defend, all the attributes to be a striker but can't finish.

What's the betting when we shove him on the wing eventually he can't cross?

Nailed it . well said Mattp

Some of you saying, he has had very poor games at left-back & his positioning needs work.

But going back to what I said, about the second half of last season, especially the home games, Schlupp looked solid, and was performing consistently well something which is a huge positive, I really think fans underestimate his defensive qualities, he isn't special, but he isn't bad either, maybe he won't turn into a top special left-back, but a good solid one who we can faith in, I believe he could be that.

Also with the signing of Albrighton, if he does play left & with the type of winger he is, he might be a player who is willing to track back more & help Schlupp out. Mahrez & Knockaert if they play on the left, could leave Schlupp isolated too many times, and more than likely be left with a 2 on 1 situation.

I rate Jeff a lot, I prefer him at left-back rather than up front, and towards the end of last season I really believe we were starting to see the best of him, he is one player I'd like Pearson to keep on playing.

No. LB is the only position where I feel we definitely need to buy a first teamer. I'd like a new CB, CM and target man to improve on what we have but I'd be just about okay if we didn't fill these positions. We need a first choice LB though. As others have said, games like Watford and Reading show his defensive vulnerabilities. Against Watford he was caught out time and again by the ball in behind, and McCleary ran him ragged for Reading.

He did fine against the lesser teams who we would put three past and then declare, but you don't have these games in the PL. We need a LB who we can rely on every game, and for me Jeff isn't there yet.

Guest MattP

Some of you saying, he has had very poor games at left-back & his positioning needs work.

But going back to what I said, about the second half of last season, especially the home games, Schlupp looked solid, and was performing consistently well something which is a huge positive

Problem was he mainly played in games where we were winning easily without getting out of 3rd gear.

Whenever he came up against a decent winger he had a torrid time and he'll be coming up against that virtually every week next season. Even the lower PL sides have better wingers than McCleary.

Unless he has improved five fold over the summer (and given he didn't make Ghanas squad that's also worrying given how awful they were) then I don't see anyone can be confident he'll be a solid selection next season.

In cup games, yes.

In premiership games, no.

It's all about damage limitation, if we put Schlupp or Konch up against Alexis Sanchez or Walcott - we'll be ****ed.

We'll be ****ed at Arsenal Away - a game we will almost definitely lose anyway. Please don't tell me you can't understand the flaw in that argument, it's really frustrating.

It's if he can't cope with your Jonathan Walters and Michael Kightlys that would mean we're in trouble.

At the risk of sounding overly Football Managery I don't think he's good enough technically or mentally.

He's certainly quick, strong and has a good leap but his positional sense is poor, his first touch is bad and he's prone to the odd lapse of concentration, so not for me.

Archived