Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Will there be any more deals?

Nigel needs help or a doctor if he thinks a bunch of slow centre backs, one proper RB, a slow left back with terrible distribution and a left back that has talent but no experience can deal with premiership players like Sterling, Hazard, Navas and friends.

Nigel needs help or a doctor if he thinks a bunch of slow centre backs, one proper RB, a slow left back with terrible distribution and a left back that has talent but no experience can deal with premiership players like Sterling, Hazard, Navas and friends.

Our survival in the Premier League won't depend on how they can deal with those players - almost no team outside the top 7 can. Why can't people realise this? 

lollol 'Garbage'... He is a very experienced defender that can teach Moore a few things.. There is more to football than what happens on the pitch! :nigel:

He is 4th choice centre back in my mind. And that's not strengthening.

We have coaches there to develop them. Senior players help, but they have to be there for a purpose. I don't see Upsons purpose.

Why do we only have to aim for survival? Ambition no?

Let's be realistic, we're not going to break into the top 6 this year and we're not going to be able to cope with the best players in the league on their day this year, nor will we be able to afford or attract the rare players who can. 

What we can do is look to combat the teams who will be in and around us. 

We were better last season than some sides who stayed up, so we don't need to reshape the whole squad. We've made sensible additions to some important areas and will continue to do so in the last couple of weeks of the transfer window. I don't think we should "show more ambition" by abandoning a wage cap and throwing money to players, that's not how Pearson goes about recruiting, and that isn't a problem. We have a strong squad which I believe can hold it's own in the Premier League, and I'm certain there'll be 2 or 3 more through the door before the window shuts. Stop with the negativity.

good post. Finally someone talking sense!

I'm guessing you had a season ticket at Brighton last season to be able to make an accurate judgement of Upson

He didn't become a good defender in 1 season. Poor seasons in the premier league previously meant he ended up in the championship

Let's be realistic, we're not going to break into the top 6 this year and we're not going to be able to cope with the best players in the league on their day this year, nor will we be able to afford or attract the rare players who can.

What we can do is look to combat the teams who will be in and around us.

There is realistic then a complete lack of ambition. It's like we're planning for going back down already with certain signings.

There is realistic then a complete lack of ambition. It's like we're planning for going back down already with certain signings.

Which ones? The back up keeper we've been crying out for? The Premier League winger who Aston Villa fans were sad to see go? The Brighton player of the year CB who was part of a better defence than ours last season and who has Premier League experience? Or the striker who scored more than our strikers in the same league and for whom we broke our transfer record?

Unless of course you're referring to the supposedly imminent arrival of a former Champions League winner. 

Liam moore isn't slow and its not always about pace. Huth, Mertesacker, Dunne, Hill and many others will all be playing in the prem next season and are all slow. Very good centre backs that are quick generally play for the top teams. And most defences in the league will struggle against the players you've mentioned, its about how they do against the lower teams attackers that matters!

He is 4th choice centre back in my mind. And that's not strengthening.

We have coaches there to develop them. Senior players help, but they have to be there for a purpose. I don't see Upsons purpose.

Pearson said the other day that Upson will play a massive part this season. You've all written him off cos of his injury but he'll be back soon enough and be competing for a place. Pearson wouldn't have signed him if he didn't feel he was good enough. He was player of the season in the 2nd best defence in the championship so technically you could argue he's better than our other defenders. Only time will tell but I dont agree with writing a player off before they've kicked a ball!

As I said yesterday, I think we need two new players in definitely and the names mentioned currently are definitely the two areas I think you can't have enough cover in, midfield and up front. However, I would also like to see us try to sign one more younger defender too as bar Liam Moore and Ritchie De Laet, most of our defenders are 30 and above. 

That, said, Nigel has a clear plan and as long as the whole club from us on the ground to the boardroom continue to back that, we will be ok.

P.S. Just went to the trophy thing this afternoon and the atmosphere around the stadium from staff to fellow fans is something to savour.

Tomorrow is hopefully only the beginning of a successful era back at our club. :)

He didn't become a good defender in 1 season. Poor seasons in the premier league previously meant he ended up in the championship

I would say he dropped down cos he struggled with Injuries. He played a full season at Brighton last season so he must be reasonably fit, and yes its unfortunate he is injured now but he will come back and fight for a place soon. Don't write him off before hes played. I remember many fans writing off a certain Jamie Vardy not long ago

Which ones? The back up keeper we've been crying out for? The Premier League winger who Aston Villa fans were sad to see go? The Brighton player of the year CB who was part of a better defence than ours last season and who has Premier League experience? Or the striker who scored more than our strikers in the same league and for whom we broke our transfer record?

Unless of course you're referring to the supposedly imminent arrival of a former Champions League winner.

A second choice goalkeeper and 4th choice 36 year old defender that's out for 3 months is not getting me thrilled.

The old chestnut of experience does make me laugh. Experience of being turned inside out, looking like a donkey and then being forced to go to the championship experience? Yeah we want that.

As I said yesterday, I think we need two new players in definitely and the names mentioned currently are definitely the two areas I think you can't have enough cover in, midfield and up front. However, I would also like to see us try to sign one more younger defender too as bar Liam Moore and Ritchie De Laet, most of our defenders are 30 and above.

That, said, Nigel has a clear plan and as long as the whole club from us on the ground to the boardroom continue to back that, we will be ok.

P.S. Just went to the trophy thing this afternoon and the atmosphere around the stadium from staff to fellow fans is something to savour.

Tomorrow is hopefully only the beginning of a successful era back at our club. :)

nice to see some positivity. I just hope some of the extremely negative people on here don't take their negativity to the KP tomorrow and start booing if we go a goal down. Really wouldn't surprise me!

nice to see some positivity. I just hope some of the extremely negative people on here don't take their negativity to the KP tomorrow and start booing if we go a goal down. Really wouldn't surprise me!

I won't boo, as I'll cheer the players playing. If we lose a lot of games and Nigel loses his job, he's paid the price for naivety and poor signings.

I hope we do well but I have an opinion that we haven't nearly strengthened enough.

Time will tell

A second choice goalkeeper and 4th choice 36 year old defender that's out for 3 months is not getting me thrilled.

The old chestnut of experience does make me laugh. Experience of being turned inside out, looking like a donkey and then being forced to go to the championship experience? Yeah we want that.

as nige has said many times, he wants to give the players that got us up a chance to shine in the prem. So if we didn't sign Upson as back up, would you have prefered we signed a big name first team player? So that player would then replace either our captain or one of the most exciting young defenders in the country? We won't sign a top player to sit on the bench and Pearson clearly has faith in wes and Liam so having an ex England international with bags of experience as back up seems a decent option. I would like us to sign another younger defender but I have no issues whatsoever with Upson.

We were better last season than some sides who stayed up, so we don't need to reshape the whole squad. We've made sensible additions to some important areas and will continue to do so in the last couple of weeks of the transfer window. I don't think we should "show more ambition" by abandoning a wage cap and throwing money to players, that's not how Pearson goes about recruiting, and that isn't a problem. We have a strong squad which I believe can hold it's own in the Premier League, and I'm certain there'll be 2 or 3 more through the door before the window shuts. Stop with the negativity. 

"We have a strong squad"; "We were better last season than some sides who stayed".

Compared to most Premiership sides we don't have a strong squad; we lack depth.

To say we were better than some sides who stayed up is pure conjecture, You do not know that.

I certainly hope there will be a few more through the door by the end of the transfer window. As I have previously stated; if we have to rely on the January transfer window, we will be in big trouble.

I will support Pearson , but quite frankly am worried, at this moment in time, that we have not brought in enough quality, overall.                                                                                                                                                                             

I won't boo, as I'll cheer the players playing. If we lose a lot of games and Nigel loses his job, he's paid the price for naivety and poor signings.

I hope we do well but I have an opinion that we haven't nearly strengthened enough.

Time will tell

I agree that we haven't strengthened enough YET! Yet being the key word. We have over 2 weeks to add some quality and if we get Cambiasso and another defender then I think we'll be ok. If we are still the same when the window closes I may well start to worry a bit too, but till then lets just get behind the team and hope for a good start tomorrow

It's just the defence which I have a problem with, how is signing players like Upson looking to the future, improving the side? He ended up failing at West Ham, Stoke he made about 15 appearances over two seasons, then ended up dropping down a division. Fans keep bringing up, well he was part of the second best defence in the Championship, the Championship is the Championship we are Premier League now which is a whole different ball game. When back fit and if he plays, he won't be having to mark the likes of Chris O'Grady, Frank Nouble, Steve Morison anymore even the teams we should be competing against teams like West Brom, Villa, QPR, Southampton, Swansea, have good strikers playing up front for them, QPR could well keep Remy, Benteke when back fit is key for Villa, Rodriguez if he stays for Southampton, Gomis for Swansea. He's played against these types of strikers a couple of season's ago, and looked out of his depth. 

As for full-back we go into the season with an inexperienced Schlupp who has just made a full transition to Left-Back only last season, and Konchesky who had an average Championship season & is 33 years old. 

From midfield to attack we are strong, we have serious talent in our ranks, what I'm most nervous about is the defence and how it will hold up, and the lack of depth we have across the back. 

"We have a strong squad"; "We were better last season than some sides who stayed".

Compared to most Premiership sides we don't have a strong squad; we lack depth.

To say we were better than some sides who stayed up is pure conjecture, You do not know that.

I certainly hope there will be a few more through the door by the end of the transfer window. As I have previously stated; if we have to rely on the January transfer window, we will be in big trouble.

I will support Pearson , but quite frankly am worried, at this moment in time, that we have not brought in enough quality, overall.                                                                                                                                                                             

My opinion is that we were better than sides in who stayed up last season, this is based on the fact that we amassed 102 points in the Championship - many teams have made less than that and had a comfortable finish in the league, no team with 100 points in the Championship has ever been relegated the next year. It is just my opinion but one backed up by facts.

I see no reason why the likes of WBA, Sunderland, Aston Villa, and even now Palace and Hull are better equipped to stay up than we are. 

It's just the defence which I have a problem with, how is signing players like Upson looking to the future, improving the side? He ended up failing at West Ham, Stoke he made about 15 appearances over two seasons, then ended up dropping down a division. Fans keep bringing up, well he was part of the second best defence in the Championship, the Championship is the Championship we are Premier League now which is a whole different ball game. When back fit and if he plays, he won't be having to mark the likes of Chris O'Grady, Frank Nouble, Steve Morison anymore even the teams we should be competing against teams like West Brom, Villa, QPR, Southampton, Swansea, have good strikers playing up front for them, QPR could well keep Remy, Benteke when back fit is key for Villa, Rodriguez if he stays for Southampton, Gomis for Swansea. He's played against these types of strikers a couple of season's ago, and looked out of his depth. 

As for full-back we go into the season with an inexperienced Schlupp who has just made a full transition to Left-Back only last season, and Konchesky who had an average Championship season & is 33 years old. 

From midfield to attack we are strong, we have serious talent in our ranks, what I'm most nervous about is the defence and how it will hold up, and the lack of depth we have across the back. 

This is such a ridiculous argument. We also played in the Championship, which isn't the Premier League, so should we discount the performances of the likes of James, Drinkwater, Vardy and Mahrez? You can't have it both ways: Upson was in a defence which was better than Moore/Morgan/Wasilewski, so should we get rid of them too? After all we're not in the Championship anymore. 

This is such a ridiculous argument. We also played in the Championship, which isn't the Premier League, so should we discount the performances of the likes of James, Drinkwater, Vardy and Mahrez? You can't have it both ways: Upson was in a defence which was better than Moore/Morgan/Wasilewski, so should we get rid of them too? After all we're not in the Championship anymore. 

And who says some of those players won't struggle?

We will see tomorrow how we will cope, but all our players will be up against top players/World Class players week in week out, not Championship standard one's. 

I just don't get the signing of Upson, apart from experience what does he bring? 

The likes of Morgan & Moore are going into unknown territory, they could do an excellent job but as for Upson not so long ago he was playing in the Premier League & struggling in terms of performances. 

It's the fact that he has struggled in the Premier League before, which is why fans are having doubts, the rest of the squad for them it's unknown territory apart from the odd one like Konchesky & Nugent.  

Archived