Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Will there be any more deals?

I don't think that's very fair.  They are certainly all better than what we had and I would argue at least as good as what we have.

I could make a case for Albrighton and Ulloa remains untested at this level. But Upson who has been injured all pre season surely adds little on the field, maybe a something off it to be fair

The only worry I have is with our transfer policy. I rate Nigel Pearson, I rate a majority of our players and I believe the owners have money to spend but our transfer policy makes it pointless. If we get relegated this season (which I'm predicting/hoping we won't) then the person to blame will be the one who decided to introduce a wage ceiling, and I think it was Nigel Pearson. I'm predicting we will have a pretty good first half of the season, sitting around 13th-14th place by Christmas, but I fear we will get found out in the second half of the season and find ourselves in a bit of a mess, escaping from relegation on the last day by the skin of our teeth.

I'd rather we tried harder to sign our targets and finish 12th, 10 points safe.

How have you came to that?

It's just a guess. The wage cap is supposedly an attempt to maintain a good team spirit and this is a footballing matter and since Pearson seems in control of this part of the club it's only logical to assume Pearson had a big say in this considering the owners were recently throwing figures of 180 million around in a press conference.

Feels very much like 1996 ? Hope it turns out the same...

Surely we must be signing a loan by noon at least.We had a good start on every body aswell. Promoted with 6 games to spare.

But hey Ho last summer we only added a couple for experience we sure as he'll need ATM ?

I do trust Pearson I just cannot get excited at all as everything I read says we are going down.

Kind of gets you down ...!

Roll on Saturday let are football do the talking eh?

BACK IN THE BIG BED!!!

COYB

Been a strange one ,this summer....all the talk of spending loads of money to get us "up there".All i want is to get us above the relegation places for this season,17th would do me...Then build on it year on year,There's loads of money available if we just stay here for a few seasons.This is where the Thai's wanted to be for advertising of King Power and i don't think their going to let us go down to the Championship very quickley.

I don't think we are "late" in our dealings at all. I think the lack of action is a conscious choice.

Pearson has stated on numerous occasions that he wants to give the players who got us promoted a chance to prove themselves at Premier League level. Would that be the case if we had brought in 7-10 new players over the summer?

One of our strengths last season was that it was pretty much the same team as the season before, so players have grown to know each other and play and support each other as a team. That takes patience and time.

We might not have many star names that the Sky Soccer Saturday pundits will recognise, but hand on heart I don't think any one of them had heard about Jay Rodriguez, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw or even Rickie Lambert when Southampton came up. I for one remember none of them - bar Matt le Tissier for obvious reasons - giving Soton any chance of staying up. "Too soon, they played League 1 two seasons ago" they said. "They haven't brought in enough quality, no chance," mused Charlie Nicholas. And look what happened. 

My point is this: knowing how organised Pearson and his staff is, they probably do have a list of players they have identified and are interested in. Enquiries have probably already been made about some of them. An insight into this was given by Nige's reaction and his "balloonhead" comment. He prefers to keep his cards to his chest. However, he has already stated that he wants to give the current squad a chance so hasn't rushed with his incoming transfers.

There will still be time to do a couple of moves in this window if it is painfully obvious that somebody is clearly out of their depth against Everton and Chelsea. And if things don't go as well as he thinks from there on, there is the January window to put things right. 

Rightly or wrongly, it looks like Pearson has full confidence in the players he has. It is a decision he might regret, but it is his decision as manager. The money is clearly there for him to spend, but he has chosen not to. 

So, my longwinded answer to the topic's question is: Probably not. Not until January.

Think Jan might be too late.IF we do struggle quality players will not want to come to a club that might suffer relegation. May I suggest we sack Robinson the DOF.NP clearly does not like the bloke and i can see a situation like Palace developing if the pressure starts after a bad start.

I don't think we are "late" in our dealings at all. I think the lack of action is a conscious choice.

Pearson has stated on numerous occasions that he wants to give the players who got us promoted a chance to prove themselves at Premier League level. Would that be the case if we had brought in 7-10 new players over the summer?

One of our strengths last season was that it was pretty much the same team as the season before, so players have grown to know each other and play and support each other as a team. That takes patience and time.

We might not have many star names that the Sky Soccer Saturday pundits will recognise, but hand on heart I don't think any one of them had heard about Jay Rodriguez, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw or even Rickie Lambert when Southampton came up. I for one remember none of them - bar Matt le Tissier for obvious reasons - giving Soton any chance of staying up. "Too soon, they played League 1 two seasons ago" they said. "They haven't brought in enough quality, no chance," mused Charlie Nicholas. And look what happened.

My point is this: knowing how organised Pearson and his staff is, they probably do have a list of players they have identified and are interested in. Enquiries have probably already been made about some of them. An insight into this was given by Nige's reaction and his "balloonhead" comment. He prefers to keep his cards to his chest. However, he has already stated that he wants to give the current squad a chance so hasn't rushed with his incoming transfers.

There will still be time to do a couple of moves in this window if it is painfully obvious that somebody is clearly out of their depth against Everton and Chelsea. And if things don't go as well as he thinks from there on, there is the January window to put things right.

Rightly or wrongly, it looks like Pearson has full confidence in the players he has. It is a decision he might regret, but it is his decision as manager. The money is clearly there for him to spend, but he has chosen not to.

So, my longwinded answer to the topic's question is: Probably not. Not until January.

I agree with this although I do reckon we will bring in 2 or 3 more. If we can't secure Cambiasso or any of the other targets, I think NP will look at a few loan deals. The top teams have many quality players in their reserves who they will want to get some first team action. We seem to have a good relationship with Chelsea through Steve Walsh so we should be looking at loaning some of their players. Moses wouldn't be a bad option as an extra winger. John Obi Mikel would be class but not sure if he'd come here or of his wages are too high. Nathan Ake, Marco Van Ginkel, Ulises Davila.

I agree with this although I do reckon we will bring in 2 or 3 more. If we can't secure Cambiasso or any of the other targets, I think NP will look at a few loan deals. The top teams have many quality players in their reserves who they will want to get some first team action. We seem to have a good relationship with Chelsea through Steve Walsh so we should be looking at loaning some of their players. Moses wouldn't be a bad option as an extra winger. John Obi Mikel would be class but not sure if he'd come here or of his wages are too high. Nathan Ake, Marco Van Ginkel, Ulises Davila.

Might be handy that we play at their place 2nd game of the season - I'm sure NP and JM will have a nice chat over a bottle of red

If we have to rely on the January transfer window, then it will because we are struggling, and at this moment in time I feel we have wasted a golden opportunity, to secure the services of better quality players. It matters little, whether the problem was created by Robinson, or Pearson, as the end result will be the same.

Have we got a strong enough squad to keep us out of trouble? That is the all important factor. If this was the Championship, then yes, would probably win it again. However, this is the Premiership, considered by many to be the toughest league in the world, Have we really got the ability and the strength in depth, to cement ourselves within it? I have my doubts, and if it all goes pear shaped, then we can look at the past two months, as being where it all went wrong.  

Pearson always has been one to get his transfer business done early and not do anything on impulse.

I still think we need another 2 or 3 signings to give the squad more depth.

Did anyone hear Super Kev on Talksport this morning? He said that "we are still looking to get 2 more deals done but that is up to the chief scout, chief exec and gaffer..."

My guesses is that one of these will be Cambiasso and who knows who the other will be. Personally I don't think it'll be Deeney or Silmani meaning that it hasn't gone through the media channels yet.

Just by Pearson's previous tactics I don't think you'll see much more business by us, but if we do it won't be more than 2 players by the time the window closes. I'm a little disappointed just purely by the small squad we have. If we get major injuries to key players I can see us having a struggle.

I really hope we sign at least one more player....

Pearson always has been one to get his transfer business done early and not do anything on impulse.

I still think we need another 2 or 3 signings to give the squad more depth.

Did anyone hear Super Kev on Talksport this morning? He said that "we are still looking to get 2 more deals done but that is up to the chief scout, chief exec and gaffer..."

My guesses is that one of these will be Cambiasso and who knows who the other will be. Personally I don't think it'll be Deeney or Silmani meaning that it hasn't gone through the media channels yet.

Just by Pearson's previous tactics I don't think you'll see much more business by us, but if we do it won't be more than 2 players by the time the window closes. I'm a little disappointed just purely by the small squad we have. If we get major injuries to key players I can see us having a struggle.

I really hope we sign at least one more player....

2 is not enough for me.

The defence seriously needs improving, with Upson injured like I said yesterday we have less defenders than we had in the Championship.

3 centre backs & 3 full backs in the Prem is nowhere near enough.

Two defenders along with hopefully Cambiasso & maybe Slimani then we have a good chance of doing well. 

2 is not enough for me.

The defence seriously needs improving, with Upson injured like I said yesterday we have less defenders than we had in the Championship.

3 centre backs & 3 full backs in the Prem is nowhere near enough.

Two defenders along with hopefully Cambiasso & maybe Slimani then we have a good chance of doing well. 

Totally agree with the defence issue.

I really can't see us signing 3 defenders, Cambiasso and Slimani within 17 days though....

Totally agree with the defence issue.

I really can't see us signing 3 defenders, Cambiasso and Slimani within 17 days though....

2 defenders not 3  ;)

We have two matches against top teams, for the defence to prove their quality. While on transfer deadline day Summer & Winter you always see quite a few loan moves.

1 or 2 loan moves just to improve our depth would be handy. 

I share people's concerns over lack of quality that we have added. I think we have some great talent in our squad but the Premiership is a huge leap for any team.

Hope we do a fair bit of business from now under window ends! 3-4 quality players still needed 

Well this all makes for fun reading, does anyone have a noose I could borrow?

I've got a shotgun but I need it to blow my own head off.

Let’s just try and put a brave face on the situation.  Maybe if we ask nicely we could be put back into the Championship. Or League One, where we were ‘appy.

2474808-eeyore.png

We were better last season than some sides who stayed up, so we don't need to reshape the whole squad. We've made sensible additions to some important areas and will continue to do so in the last couple of weeks of the transfer window. I don't think we should "show more ambition" by abandoning a wage cap and throwing money to players, that's not how Pearson goes about recruiting, and that isn't a problem. We have a strong squad which I believe can hold it's own in the Premier League, and I'm certain there'll be 2 or 3 more through the door before the window shuts. Stop with the negativity. 

Guest LCFC_World

Upson is garbage. Waste of a space in squad. Need better quality defenders.

lol  lol  'Garbage'... He is a very experienced defender that can teach Moore a few things.. There is more to football than what happens on the pitch!  :nigel:

I could make a case for Albrighton and Ulloa remains untested at this level. But Upson who has been injured all pre season surely adds little on the field, maybe a something off it to be fair

I get it, so you are saying Pearson has brought in a defender who will be of no use on the pitch, but maybe ok in the dressing room.

Of course he has, I can't understand why more managers don't do that all the time.

Pearson must also be stupid to not know that a player who has rarely been injured through his career could be injured now. Ain't our manager stupid for not realising that. Oh but wait a minute, maybe it's you that ain't the full ticket.

I share people's concerns over lack of quality that we have added. I think we have some great talent in our squad but the Premiership is a huge leap for any team.

Hope we do a fair bit of business from now under window ends! 3-4 quality players still needed 

I don't think that's true any more. 

The bottom half of the premiership contains clubs that will go through cycles and some of these clubs are moving into the position of regulations contenders. 

Last season Fulham and Norwich were classic examples, clubs that had gone up, established themselves for a bit but couldn't rejuvenate their squads enough to maintain a progression. I also expect they'll find the Championship tough this season, because they may not be able to re-establish that winning mentality and lets face it, there are some very good clubs in that division that wouldn't look completely out of place in the Premiership this season. 

Looking at whats left this season, you have clubs like West Brom, Aston Villa, Swansea, West Ham and Sunderland to a degree that all fit the same kind of profile that Fulham and Norwich displayed last season. Crystal Palace have suddenly been thrown into turmoil, Southampton are a big unknown given whats happened there, Newcastle were on the slide in an alarming fashion and I fancy Everton could struggle this season.

Then If you study through the teams I've mentioned, this only leaves the traditional top 6 plus Hull City and Stoke that I have commented on - but you could make arguments about the last two as well!

So what this essentially shows that its 3 to go down from a possible 14 and I don't think we're much worse off than any of the teams I've mentioned - I've already picked my fantasy team and a lot of these premier league squads are full of journey men that may or may not perform on any given day.

The big pluses we have on our side is a winning mentality, a management team that have a keen eye for detail and a fantastic and buoyant support - those combined is worth at least 10-15 points in my book and if we get a reasonably good start through the initial reasonably tough looking fixtures, we then have a run of 6-8 very winnable ones.  

There are plenty of reasons to be confident, so lets be that way, because if we're confident as fans the players will feel it and play with confidence. 

Archived