Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Will there be any more deals?

My thoughts at this point are:

1. Does a new striker signing depend on Wood leaving? If that is the case it might be that we do nothing as I can't see anyone offering Wood enough money to go.

2. If a new striker is not dependent on Wood going, it is more likely that we get Slimani as he is kicking up a fuss and the club will likely want him out of the way now. No chance on Deeney, we keep offering and probably hit the ceiling of where we want to go.

3. Cambiasso - the lack of noise coming from other clubs means we must still have a good chance of getting him. No leaks, so maybe not much more interest elsewhere. If others were making moves for him it would have hit the press.

My guess is - Cambiasso will be here. We start the season with Wood in the squad and no new striker.

In my opinion, we still need a LB, CB (given Upsons injury), and a LM/CM. Assuming Cambiasso signs.

Even with just preseason injuries our squad looks paper thin.

Think we are done if we get Cambiasso and another striker.

We have two LB, and Knocky, Mahrez and Albrighton can all switch.

Centre backs - Liam, Wes and The Pole - any two from three until Upson returns.

Cambiasso would add experience. I think he is going for more strikers as you need goals to stay up and so need more depth.

All fine, no issues, get the two he is after and we are done.

Good enough to finish about three of the following with what we have:

West Brom (bankers to go)

Sunderland

QPR

Swansea

Hull

Newcastle ( horrendous run last season)

Southampton (turmoil)

Villa (still not progressing)

Burnley

Over to you Nige

We have two LB not the strongest, and Knocky injured, Mahrez and Albrighton injured can all switch.

Centre backs - Liam, Wes and The Pole - any two from three until Upson returns in three months.

Cambiasso would add experience. I think he is going for more strikers as you need goals to stay up and so need more depth.

All fine, no issues, get the two he is after and we are done.

Good enough to finish about three of the following with what we have:

West Brom (bankers to go)

Sunderland

QPR

Swansea

Hull

Newcastle ( horrendous run last season)

Southampton (turmoil)

Villa (still not progressing)

Burnley

Over to you Nige

I like your optimism, but I am concerned that

- Konch and Schlupp are not the strongest we could have,

- While not long term injuries, the two to Knocky and Albrighton mean that we are pretty thin on wingers, and

- perhaps we only need temp cover while Upson is out, because if one of the others gets injured over the next three months then we will be severely struggling for depth

I like your optimism, but I am concerned that

- Konch and Schlupp are not the strongest we could have,

- While not long term injuries, the two to Knocky and Albrighton mean that we are pretty thin on wingers, and

- perhaps we only need temp cover while Upson is out, because if one of the others gets injured over the next three months then we will be severely struggling for depth

I agree we are not the strongest everywhere, but there will be a budget. In addition he won't want to break a settled winning squad. All about priorities I suppose. Also he will need to save some of his budget for a potential energency. As in, if we really hit a wall and need to go again hard in the next window.

Also, if the wheels fall off and we went down with a big squad that we can't sell we are in long term trouble.

All about balance, budget, keeping a reserve and trying to keep a settled squad.

Nice measured response.

I would like to think they would be budgeting the reported 30k a week salary cap into a 25 man squad that we can manage if we went down. I don't think there is as much concern over transfer and signing on fees, so I think they will have that budget available for additional signings. I do like your point that perhaps there is virtue in keeping some squad places open for January, assuming we can't offload some players or move them out of the squad somehow.

I agree we are not the strongest everywhere, but there will be a budget. In addition he won't want to break a settled winning squad. All about priorities I suppose. Also he will need to save some of his budget for a potential energency. As in, if we really hit a wall and need to go again hard in the next window.
Also, if the wheels fall off and we went down with a big squad that we can't sell we are in long term trouble.

All about balance, budget, keeping a reserve and trying to keep a settled squad.

We have two LB, and Knocky, Mahrez and Albrighton can all switch.

Centre backs - Liam, Wes and The Pole - any two from three until Upson returns.

If you think we can rely on Wes, Liam, Wasilewski, Konchesky & Schlupp then you are mad.

We need at least four centre backs, & four full-backs we are going in with less defenders than we had in the Championship. 

Not ideal that.

I sodding hope there is more to come, we currently have one right back, three centre backs and one recognised left back. With a striker who can fill in there, but has only played half a dozen games in that position.

I trust Pearson and hope he has it all covered, even if it's the loan market. But frankly I'm starting to think out summer recruitment process has been a ****ing shambles.

I sodding hope there is more to come, we currently have one right back, three centre backs and one recognised left back. With a striker who can fill in there, but has only played half a dozen games in that position.

I trust Pearson and hope he has it all covered, even if it's the loan market. But frankly I'm starting to think out summer recruitment process has been a ****ing shambles.

Feel free to call me miserable all you like but after promotion was secured Pearson mentioned numerous times how we have an advantage over other clubs as we could start planning earlier and all we end up with are free transfers that anyone could have found looking at an out of contract list, two of which are injured and paying over the odds for Ulloa after around 2 months negotiating.

Feel free to call me miserable all you like but after promotion was secured Pearson mentioned numerous times how we have an advantage over other clubs as we could start planning earlier and all we end up with are free transfers that anyone could have found looking at an out of contract list, two of which are injured and paying over the odds for Ulloa after around 2 months negotiating.

You are miserable, all you do is moan!

I think the original poster said available for selection - Albrighton and Upson injured and Hamer won't displace Kasper.

ah yeh, mis read it. My bad! However its not Nige's fault they're injured. People keep going on about our lack of transfers which is frustrating a get that, but im sure its frustrating for Nige and his team. I'm sure they are working hard on deals but they are probably finding it difficult. Yes its annoying, yes it's frustrating but we can't have a go at Nige for it. We need to bring in the right players not just sign people for the sake of it. And as I keep saying, I can see us signing a couple of loans over the next 2 weeks

Considering Upsons age he's going to take an age to get fit. So another CB for me is a must if we are thinking of using Moore as emergency right back.

Buying Upson feels like we've just bought a car down the Edgeware Road in the 70s. Run it for a few days and the engine blows up. Three months out? At least it gives us one advantage. Stem cell replacement surgery will be perfected by then and he could come back like a 21-year-old with a whole new body!   :)

Essentially we're going in to the season with less available defenders than last season in the Championship. This is in a position Nigel has always tried to strengthen first and foremost. I worry we've found it very difficult to get the players we want in, which is a big problem for promoted teams that don't have a manager with a big, over-hyped reputation like Codface or Sven. I still think we've missed out on players we could have got because we've perhaps set our sights higher. Let's hope for a busy few weeks. PLEASE

Essentially we're going in to the season with less available defenders than last season in the Championship. This is in a position Nigel has always tried to strengthen first and foremost. I worry we've found it very difficult to get the players we want in, which is a big problem for promoted teams that don't have a manager with a big, over-hyped reputation like Codface or Sven. I still think we've missed out on players we could have got because we've perhaps set our sights higher. Let's hope for a busy few weeks. PLEASE

It shouldn't be this difficult to pick up players, so I really don't know what we've been playing at. It feels like we need to have a 4 week discussion before making a bid.

The reason it takes us about 2 months to sign one player is because there is such a lack of ambition it's depressing. Wage cap? Ridiculous idea, just says to any potential signing that we don't want players on more then 30k a week because it will have a bad effect when we get relegated. You try negotiating wages with players of Cambiasso's calibre than he will just assume we can't afford him and go to someone who shows they have the ambition to afford him, we will lose Cambiasso to a rival Premier League club because we lack ambition, the same will happen with Deeney and any other signing we try to make unless this supposed wage cap is ditched or the player we are trying to sign isn't wanted by other clubs (Ulloa) and that usually means they aren't that good.

The wage cap sends out all the wrong signals, I hope I am wrong but if Pearson suggested this wage cap then he is clearly out of his depth, no other Premier League club works on a wage cap so low (apart from Burnley who simply can't afford to pay any more then they already do) because they know it's impossible to compete financially. You have to spend money to make money, so to speak. I don't like being negative but this transfer window is really beginning to grind my gears we need to get some players signed up fast, because at the moment this is not good enough.

We are embarassing. What a waste of a summer. We will start on Saturday as the same team that won the Championship. Huge gulf between the leagues we will struggle in the premiership. Best players are all injured. Why did we sign Upson, if he was injured what a waste of money. Lee Morris mark 2.

Am still looking forward to this season, but with all the hype and suggesting we are going to sign this player and that there must be somthing fundamentally wrong somewhere?

Is it our policy, our wage structure or simply our stubborness who knows.

Just pray it isn't like Bolton at home first game of the season a five nil thumping at home. Premiership game at filbo some years ago.

Reality strikes?

If we do have a wage structure, what ambition does that show.

The Thais, speaking about money being no object, we want European football within 2-3 years.

If that's the case, where is the ambition, where is the movement on the transfer front.

We have two and a half weeks until we can bring no more players in. I only expect we will get two or three more anyway!

But this is what people have been saying since the beginning of June "oh we're still 2 and half months away yet plenty of time"

We're less than 48 hours away now from our first premiership game and it looks like our team will be weaker than the one that played against Doncaster on May 3rd.

The reason it takes us about 2 months to sign one player is because there is such a lack of ambition it's depressing. Wage cap? Ridiculous idea, just says to any potential signing that we don't want players on more then 30k a week because it will have a bad effect when we get relegated. You try negotiating wages with players of Cambiasso's calibre than he will just assume we can't afford him and go to someone who shows they have the ambition to afford him, we will lose Cambiasso to a rival Premier League club because we lack ambition, the same will happen with Deeney and any other signing we try to make unless this supposed wage cap is ditched or the player we are trying to sign isn't wanted by other clubs (Ulloa) and that usually means they aren't that good.

The wage cap sends out all the wrong signals, I hope I am wrong but if Pearson suggested this wage cap then he is clearly out of his depth, no other Premier League club works on a wage cap so low (apart from Burnley who simply can't afford to pay any more then they already do) because they know it's impossible to compete financially. You have to spend money to make money, so to speak. I don't like being negative but this transfer window is really beginning to grind my gears we need to get some players signed up fast, because at the moment this is not good enough.

Who is this fantastic new poster!    :wub:

Although you might make a few start to panic, I couldn't agree more with suffolk fox and kingfox. This summer will have been a waste if we don't do any more deals

Upson is a joke of a signing. Out for 3 months, he'll have probably retired before he plays his first game for us.. 

Although you might make a few start to panic, I couldn't agree more with suffolk fox and kingfox. This summer will have been a waste if we don't do any more deals

Upson is a joke of a signing. Out for 3 months, he'll have probably retired before he plays his first game for us.. 

It's just piss take, we are going into the season with less defenders than we had in the Championship, and in terms of injuries the same squad apart from Hamer & Ulloa.

And quite honestly, with this rumoured wage cap it wouldn't surprise me if it's true, players like Hamer, Upson, Albrighton & Ulloa are realistic players that would come for 30k or less. 

And if that's the case, we won't be signing players like Cambiasso or Deeney. We will end up trying to find a few talents like we did with Knockaert & Mahrez or sign nobody at all. 

Archived