Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Will there be any more deals?

And who says some of those players won't struggle?

We will see tomorrow how we will cope, but all our players will be up against top players/World Class players week in week out, not Championship standard one's. 

I just don't get the signing of Upson, apart from experience what does he bring? 

The likes of Morgan & Moore are going into unknown territory, they could do an excellent job but as for Upson not so long ago he was playing in the Premier League & struggling in terms of performances. 

It's the fact that he has struggled in the Premier League before, which is why fans are having doubts, the rest of the squad for them it's unknown territory apart from the odd one like Konchesky & Nugent.  

Well they might struggle, so might Upson - they all excelled in the same league last year, so you can't use that argument against Upson and not Drinkwater, James, Vardy, Mahrez, etc - it is a better league, we shall see whether they struggle. Upson proved last year that he can be as capable a defender as any of ours by being in a better defence than ours, so he clearly brings talent as well as some know-how in the Premier League (which I think is overrated anyway).

I think we're 3 signings short of having a 'good enough' squad.

A centre half (Virgil van Dijk), a defensive midfielder (Esteban Cambiasso or Leroy Fer) and a striker (Islam Slimani).

That'd be an outlay of about £20m but I really think it's needed.

A centre half (Virgil van Dijk), a defensive midfielder (Esteban Cambiasso or Leroy Fer) and a striker (Islam Slimani).

Yep - I tend to agree, but would also like Zeki Fryers at left back on loan too

This is such a ridiculous argument. We also played in the Championship, which isn't the Premier League, so should we discount the performances of the likes of James, Drinkwater, Vardy and Mahrez? You can't have it both ways: Upson was in a defence which was better than Moore/Morgan/Wasilewski, so should we get rid of them too? After all we're not in the Championship anymore.

Difference is, those are currently on our books, and if they don't make it, we move them on.

Natural progression would mean getting BETTER players and no matter what you tell me, he is no better than Wes and Was.

Our additions should compliment a relatively untested bunch of championship players with top players, not players that finished below them last season.

Difference is, those are currently on our books, and if they don't make it, we move them on.

Natural progression would mean getting BETTER players and no matter what you tell me, he is no better than Wes and Was.

Our additions should compliment a relatively untested bunch of championship players with top players, not players that finished below them last season.

Okay well I think Upson is a good player and man to have around this year, we'll have this discussion about our additions on the whole when the window shuts. 

AKCJ, on 15 Aug 2014 - 6:41 PM, said:snapback.png

MGLCFC, on 15 Aug 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:MGLCFC, on 15 Aug 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:MGLCFC, on 15 Aug 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:

Yep - I tend to agree, but would also like Zeki Fryers at left back on loan too

would love these to happen - tempted to say I'd love Deeney too - I think he'd score more than Slimani - although I'd be happy with either

However while I worry about the depth of our squad if we get injuries I don't worry too much about the quality we have or the signings made thus far I also trust the manager that took a team that was in the 3rd tier not so long ago - removed all the pre-madonna's from the ranks - installed a belief amongst the players that took them to break so many records last season

I can see why he'd want to give some of these players a chance to prove themselves - you could argue they have deserved that chance - but I am hoping we get players in to cover any injuries - because we can give our lads the opportunity - but we need to account for worst case scenarios - i.e. injuries or the fact that some just don't make the grade at this level

As for the fact some defenders are getting old - if they keep us up this year we can look to the future after - or in January

This is such a ridiculous argument. We also played in the Championship, which isn't the Premier League, so should we discount the performances of the likes of James, Drinkwater, Vardy and Mahrez? You can't have it both ways: Upson was in a defence which was better than Moore/Morgan/Wasilewski, so should we get rid of them too? After all we're not in the Championship anymore. 

I think the point is, whilst those players are unproven in the top league, Upson has played in the top flight and had to drop down a division. Plus he's old and there's no room for improvement, only regression.

I too think Upson is a poor signing, as with Ulloa. These may be decent Championship players but I feel they're too slow for the top division.

Leicester will maybe just survive by the skin of their teeth with the current squad and a bit of luck, but I'm greedy and I want more so I say get some players in of actual quality, that are a step forward and not a side step and aim for lower mid table. The defence is average at Championship level but was made to look better then it was by our sheer ruthless attacking last season.

I'm under no illusions about our attack, I know a Premier League quality attacking move when I see it, and last season I seen it hundreds of times. The likes of Vardy, Knockaert, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Co are all of Premier League standard.

We need defenders quite desperately in my opinion.

I think the point is, whilst those players are unproven in the top league, Upson has played in the top flight and had to drop down a division. Plus he's old and there's no room for improvement, only regression.

I too think Upson is a poor signing, as with Ulloa. These may be decent Championship players but I feel they're too slow for the top division.

Fair enough but I don't think Upson has been brought in as a starter (he definitely won't be now) and he's a good member to have in the squad, both as cover and as an experienced head around the place.

It's been said before but pace isn't the be all and end all of success in the PL, look at Mertesacker for CB and Lambert for a striker. They're both better than the two you name but a lack of pace isn't necessarily a problem for them. They've both made careers without it. 

Fair enough but I don't think Upson has been brought in as a starter (he definitely won't be now) and he's a good member to have in the squad, both as cover and as an experienced head around the place.

It's been said before but pace isn't the be all and end all of success in the PL, look at Mertesacker for CB and Lambert for a striker. They're both better than the two you name but a lack of pace isn't necessarily a problem for them. They've both made careers without it.

World Cup winner mertesacker? Good comparison.

From England confirmations of the transfer of Esteban Cambiasso to Leicester are arriving. According to the Leicester Mercury the Argentine has already carried out the medical examinations and at the moment he’s in a well-known hotel in Leicester waiting for his move to the Premier League and Leicester to become official.

Source: fcinternews.it

http://www.sempreinter.com/2014/08/15/leicester-mercury-cambiasso-has-already-carried-out-the-medical-transfer-to-leicester-official-soon/

Have they been reading foxestalk lol

Hi, all a bit foreign to me this forum stuff, but why has the Cambiasso thread been locked?

I'd suspect because more than usual on this forum the posts added pages and pages of nothing new to the thread topic. My 3 or 4 included.

I'd suspect because more than usual on this forum the posts added pages and pages of nothing new to the thread topic. My 3 or 4 included.

I see, thought that might be the case... still, it was the quickest way of finding anything new out, whether it was BS or not. Now I have to trawl through Twitter, Facebook, Sky Sports Transfer Centre, this forum... I really need to get out more.

It's quite frustrating that the last signing was 24 days ago and we start the season tomorrow with only 8 first team defenders 1 being bakayogo and the other being upson on the medical table. Really hope there are more deals to be struck.

Archived