Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

Sorry yes, that's me lumping public sector workers in with people on benefits again. 

Says it all really.

Sorry yes, that's me lumping public sector workers in with people on benefits again. What I mean is we'll see protests from people who receive less public money and they'll be protesting about receiving less public money and nothing more. There will be very little ideological opposition to spending cuts but we will see some people directly affected complaining about it.

You may find this a difficult concept to grasp, lacking empathy about anything that directly affects you, but some people actually do care about things which don't directly affect them.I'd be greatly opposed to cuts in the fire service or police service, for example, and I've never even used either of them, let alone work for them.

You may find this a difficult concept to grasp, lacking empathy about anything that directly affects you, but some people actually do care about things which don't directly affect them.I'd be greatly opposed to cuts in the fire service or police service, for example, and I've never even used either of them, let alone work for them.

Of course the fire and police service directly affect you.

Just as you were saying. Firefighters cry as their statiom of 109 years closes due to cutbacks. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/firefighters-cry-as-10-london-stations-including-clerkenwell-close-due-to-cuts-9050079.html

No, they don't.

So which private company runs the emergency services, provides your medical care, teaches your kids, mends the roads in your area and keeps the streets clear of litter and dog shit?

Just as you were saying. Firefighters cry as their statiom of 109 years closes due to cutbacks. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/firefighters-cry-as-10-london-stations-including-clerkenwell-close-due-to-cuts-9050079.html

Fire safety has come so far that we don't need the same stations as we had 140 years ago. What would you suggest we do, just keep them running forever, paying firefighters to do nothing?

Fire safety has come so far that we don't need the same stations as we had 140 years ago. What would you suggest we do, just keep them running forever, paying firefighters to do nothing?

well they will be paid to be job seekers now.

That doesn't represent every public employee.

It represents a very significant portion of public sector employees who protest against the government cuts, people for whom you have the utmost contempt protesting against cuts you enthusiastically embrace.

It represents a very significant portion of public sector employees who protest against the government cuts, people for whom you have the utmost contempt protesting against cuts you enthusiastically embrace.

I haven't noticed any particular increase in dog shit, soiI can't say the cuts have affected me at all.

It's lunacy to think that deeper cuts won't have any impact on frontline public services.

Even if you are wholly self-centred and blind to others' issues, further cuts will affect you.

It's lunacy to think that deeper cuts won't have any impact on frontline public services.

Even if you are wholly self-centred and blind to others' issues, further cuts will affect you.

Plenty of inefficiency to drive out yet. Best way to do that is cut funding. Let's wait and see. We're five years into what were supposedly going to be ruinous cuts. Crimes is down, education results have improved, I personally haven't noticed any more dogshit or pot holes.

Crime has been steadily falling constantly since 1997 and education results, especially last year, were down dramatically. The English GCSE results in particular were a national scandal in education, especially considering how vital that particular qualification is to access a wider range of courses at Sixth Form (Level 3 courses and A Level courses almost universally demand a C grade and obtaining a university place without a C is extremely tough), and staff morale is on its knees with 50% of teachers leaving within three of qualifying so it seems a bit bizarre to proclaim education as a Tory success.

I actually consider the failure of Labour to make education part of the electoral agenda a serious error, as it would have been so easy to pull apart Michael Gove's catastrophic tenure as Education Secretary.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/21/gcses-grades-results-pupils-pain-michael-gove

I'm happy for cuts to affect a few if it means saving the many from unsustainable debt.

Cuts to tax avoidance? Cuts to hyperwages? Cuts to corporation profits?

Cuts to tax avoidance? Cuts to hyperwages? Cuts to corporation profits?

No I don't think any of those things should be cut. Tax evasion yes, and some but not all forms of tax avoidance. I'm pleased the tories are seriously working on this now after it was ignored for so many years under the Labour.

I certainly don't want to see less successful businesses, and while I don't understand exactly what you mean by "hyperwages", I don't think it's anyone's right to tell a private business that they can't choose to pay people high wages if they think they're worth it.

No I don't think any of those things should be cut. Tax evasion yes, and some but not all forms of tax avoidance. I'm pleased the tories are seriously working on this now after it was ignored for so many years under the Labour.

I certainly don't want to see less successful businesses, and while I don't understand exactly what you mean by "hyperwages", I don't think it's anyone's right to tell a private business that they can't choose to pay people high wages if they think they're worth it.

So, in fact, this

I'm happy for cuts to affect a few if it means saving the many from unsustainable debt.

was a lie. 

Crime has been steadily falling constantly since 1997 and education results, especially last year, were down dramatically. The English GCSE results in particular were a national scandal in education, especially considering how vital that particular qualification is to access a wider range of courses at Sixth Form (Level 3 courses and A Level courses almost universally demand a C grade and obtaining a university place without a C is extremely tough), and staff morale is on its knees with 50% of teachers leaving within three of qualifying so it seems a bit bizarre to proclaim education as a Tory success.

I actually consider the failure of Labour to make education part of the electoral agenda a serious error, as it would have been so easy to pull apart Michael Gove's catastrophic tenure as Education Secretary.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/21/gcses-grades-results-pupils-pain-michael-gove

Education will continue to be poor because of the egalitarians who decided to destroy selective education and undermined the rigours of discipline in the classroom. Unfortunately no serious party would be willing to change this issue.

Education will continue to be poor because of the egalitarians who decided to destroy selective education and undermined the rigours of discipline in the classroom. Unfortunately no serious party would be willing to change this issue.

What do you mean by "selective education"?

Archived