Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

The propaganda that will be rolled out will make it fascinating. We won't leave, the public are too weak and easily influenced.

Can anyone give a list of EU achievements? Anything that makes them proud to be a part of the EU? No google ;)

Instrumental in keeping peace in Europe?

Cheaper and easier foreign travel?

Providing most of our trade?

Better rights for employees?

I'm sure there's more.

Instrumental in keeping peace in Europe?

Cheaper and easier foreign travel?

Providing most of our trade?

Better rights for employees?

I'm sure there's more.

Peace in Europe? Their shit stirring in Ukraine hasn't helped much.

It's cheaper to travel to the US too, not sure that's the EU`s doing.

Most of our trade? Possibly, but as they put tariffs on trade outside the EU/European trade area that's not unlikely.

Better rights for employees? There's nothing to stop us implementing any of those laws/regulations for ourselves if we want them.

Guest MattP

If they get a sniff we're even threatening to leave, they'll shit a brick.

I wouldn't bet on it being a close run thing either - the Tories, Labour and the SNP in Scotland are all going to campaign to stay in. All of the rhetoric  about 'going it alone' will therefore be bottled in the polling booths, I'd be surprised to see a Leave vote get more than 35%.

Juncker certainly seems more open to talks now, I don't think he was expecting a Conservative majority lol

I think it will all depend on the re-negotiations, if we can't do anything towards open door immigration I think the vote will be very close as that's a huge issue for a lot of people, if we can renegiotiate that I can see a solid vote to stay in - you can add no EU referendum as another cock up on the part of Ed Miliband in the last campaign, people don't like this 'we do the thinking so you don't have to' attitude they had.

It could be very similar to Scotland - Labour on the whole will campaign to stay in but large amounts of their voters (in the very poorest areas even more so) will actually want to leave, it's going to be another tough event for them to deal with and keep their voters happy.

I bet UKIP are secretly hoping for a vote to stay in, they could gain huge amounts of support if that happens, if we leave the whole party becomes totally irrelevent.

Peace in Europe is more down to the people of Europe not wanting to fight, and the presence of nato. Nothing to do with the eu.

Peace in europe is mostly down to NATO

This. The one place where we are at war in Europe is a place where the EU stuck it's nose in to interfere with something that was nothing to do with them, completely encouraging rebels to overthrow democracy just a year before an election which could have given legitimacy to what they wanted if the people of Ukraine agreed with them. It was shameless and the consequences have been appalling.

Guest MattP

You don't think that was Russia's fault for invading?

Both sides behaviour has been reprehensible.

One side started this all by overthrowing a democratically elected government and then the other has caused severe sufferring through an overly aggressive invasion of a sovereign nation.

Both sides behaviour has been reprehensible.

One side started this all by overthrowing a democratically elected government and then the other has caused severe sufferring through an overly aggressive invasion of a sovereign nation.

That's the story the most people are happy to buy, a friend of a friend is an observer for an NGO on the ground in Ukraine and has a very different view

Guest MattP

That's the story the most people are happy to buy, a friend of a friend is an observer for an NGO on the ground in Ukraine and has a very different view

I'm sure there are 'friends of friends' everywhere that have different opinions on the matter from what they have seen.

Let us know his/her opinion though, always interested to hear these things, The Times do a fantastic section on both the Ukraine and Syria wars virtually every day in the World section, prepared to give different opinions from observers of all sorts of NGO's as well, far more than any other media outlets which are almost all exclusively pro-West/Ukrainian.

I see network rail employees have voted to strike over poor customer satisfaction scores. Oh no wait, it's about pay, yes of course it's about pay. They've been offered a £500 spot bonus for just no reason whatsoever, and salaries to go up in line with inflation, but they're still not happy so they're striking. Incredible. Thank god it's the tories and not labour in power.

I'm sure there are 'friends of friends' everywhere that have different opinions on the matter from what they have seen.

Let us know his/her opinion though, always interested to hear these things, The Times do a fantastic section on both the Ukraine and Syria wars virtually every day in the World section, prepared to give different opinions from observers of all sorts of NGO's as well, far more than any other media outlets which are almost all exclusively pro-West/Ukrainian.

I'd love to give you a detailed breakdown of what I was told but to be honest it was at a party a few months ago and I wasn't taking notes (beer didn't help either), the basics were that it was never going to be possible to run a free and fair election and full scale intervention from outside sources couldn't be ruled out. The NGO he works for is military/economic and not one of the mainstream ones, his background is military intelligence, I'd believe what he told me but I'm a gullible fool.

Living outside of the UK I bloody love the Schengen area. Being able to drive from country to country without massive border queues or a passport is delightful.

Even before Schengen it was pretty easy to cross borders in the Western European States, my friends from Aachen often had drinks in 3 countries on a night out and never carried a passport

Archived