Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

I went to a state grammar and while it seemed like a good idea at the time, I think it's a pretty shit and pointless system and I did relatively much better at primary school, despite the primary school being in a bit of a mediocre area and then getting closed down the year after I left, in part due to a poor rating from OFSTED.

a) It means less choice of schools, if you do pass the selection test you have 2 or 3 schools to choose from that might be miles away, if your nearest is selective and you don't pass then you don't get to go there either, this is a bit of a bitch for the parents of multiple children, who might have reasonably hoped to send their children to the same school.

b) It's not actually fair. You sit the children through a handful of exams and age 10-11, and then you grade them against each other. If you get a few points above a mark based on the average, then you can go to selective, a few marks the wrong side and you have to go to disabled school. Sorry, you aren't going to be a doctor or an engineer, hope you enjoy wiping arses, serving coffee, or being yelled at by middle class people whose consumer products are faulty.  

There are several flaws. The children may have performed better on a different day, it was multiple choice when I did it, which is a fvcking terrible way of assessing ability but very cheap to mark by machine. Wealthier parents were willing to pay £££ for private tuition. Considering there were 37 kids in my primary school class, I'd imagine most would have performed better with some 1 to 1 help.

And if your kid really is that dense, then if you have the money you just send them to a public school.

c) It's still a state school. You still learn the same things. So what is the point of selection? Other than making children believe they have no academic future? I can't think of any good reason. And I genuinely think my secondary school experience was quite shit so it didn't guarantee a good education.

George Galloway is starting a legal challenge against his election result. He claims his opponent made false statements about him and there postal voting irregularities.

George Galloway is starting a legal challenge against his election result. He claims his opponent made false statements about him and there postal voting irregularities.

I think she said he was a respectable man, so he's got a point.

Guest MattP

Two excellent cabinet appointments to day. (It's been a bonus for Cameron that with so many Lib Dems leaving he doesn't really have to sack anyone, he can promote people to please the backbenchers without having to sacrifice anyone)

Sajid Javed to business, very Thatcherite in his business policy, very liberal and will surely go down well with minorities, there was a huge shift with Hindus and Sikhs moving from Labour to the Conservatives in this election and now it's time to also go after a lot of the aspirational Muslim vote. A good politician who will do a great job and be valuble in a wider cultural sense for the party.

John Wittingdale appointed to culture as well - this man has always wanted to take the BBC to task and now he'll be able to do so. They have been getting away with so many things for far too long.

Good to see Salmond predicting that the Tory government will collapse in 6 months time, important to make sure all those backbenchers keep having it rammed home to them if they do start to rebel it will be parties like the SNP that would be able to gain influence rather than be sat there gurning for the next 5 years.

Nigel Farage's 'resignation' rejected and so he has been 'persuaded' to withdraw it according to the BBC. This election just gets better and f***ing better doesn't it. Not a normal politician my arse.

Guest MattP

Nigel Farage's 'resignation' rejected and so he has been 'persuaded' to withdraw it according to the BBC. This election just gets better and f***ing better doesn't it. Not a normal politician my arse.

lol

I thought something like this would happen, he was never staying out of the political scene with the European Referendum upcoming. He has to be there really, if we withdraw it becomes his victory, if we vote to stay in you could see a huge rise in UKIP support similar to the SNP and he'll want to take advantage of that.

Surely Britain voting to stay in a reformed EU would diminish UKIP's relevance?

They'd have had their referendum, the electorate would have showed they disagree with their stance and their main raison d'etre would be rendered null and void.

Most people cant name anyone else in UKIP. They are better to manage a transition. I imagine Carswell fancies a go at it, but then he thinks immigration is a good thing.

The Hamiltons were in Boston for the election results if that helps!

Nigel Farage

"It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat.

"What credibility would UKIP have in the Commons if others had to enunciate party policy in Parliament and the party leader was only allowed in as a guest?

"Was I supposed to brief UKIP policy from the Westminster Arms? No - if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down."

Swivel eyed loon with 4 million votes.  Odd times indeed..

he's a man of his words though...apparantly. lol  lol lol  

They'd have had their referendum, the electorate would have showed they disagree with their stance and their main raison d'etre would be rendered null and void.

They'll do an SNP.  Push for EU reforms and campaign for another referendum

They'll do an SNP.  Push for EU reforms and campaign for another referendum

Surely the Tories will do that prior to a referendum anyway?

It largely depends upon what these reforms look like, but the position of taking us out of the EU will be completely discredited if we vote to stay in?

You're bonkers if you think euro-scepticism will fade away simply because of people voting yes. A close split like 60/40 will massively strengthen UKIP just like the SNP were strengthened by the "no" result. I doubt the EU will just hand over what Britain demands either. We aren't that important to them.

You're bonkers if you think euro-scepticism will fade away simply because of people voting yes. A close split like 60/40 will massively strengthen UKIP just like the SNP were strengthened by the "no" result. I doubt the EU will just hand over what Britain demands either. We aren't that important to them.

The EU would implode if we, France, Germany or any other of its major economies left. It's the major economies that give it the prestige, funds and industry. Remove any of them and the whole thing falls apart.

If they get a sniff we're even threatening to leave, they'll shit a brick.

I wouldn't bet on it being a close run thing either - the Tories, Labour and the SNP in Scotland are all going to campaign to stay in. All of the rhetoric  about 'going it alone' will therefore be bottled in the polling booths, I'd be surprised to see a Leave vote get more than 35%.

The EU would implode if we, France, Germany or any other of its major economies left. It's the major economies that give it the prestige, funds and industry. Remove any of them and the whole thing falls apart.

If they get a sniff we're even threatening to leave, they'll shit a brick.

I wouldn't bet on it being a close run thing either - the Tories, Labour and the SNP in Scotland are all going to campaign to stay in. All of the rhetoric about 'going it alone' will therefore be bottled in the polling booths, I'd be surprised to see a Leave vote get more than 35%.

The propaganda that will be rolled out will make it fascinating. We won't leave, the public are too weak and easily influenced.

Can anyone give a list of EU achievements? Anything that makes them proud to be a part of the EU? No google ;)

Archived