Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

2015 Election season ..........stuff it in here.

Half a million people in London today protesting against cuts, the vast majority peaceful.

I'd be very surprised if these were the last protests this summer, let alone this Parliament.

Half a million? Where are you getting that figure from? The guardian is citing police saying there was about 100 people protesting in London, and bizarrely Charlotte Church protesting more or less on her own in Cardiff.

I'm thinking Charlotte Church and Russel Brand and I'm interlocking my fingers in a way that would make Brent proud.

I'm not sure France is anywhere we want to emulate politically.

The NF a genuine political force and slow recovery from recession.

Yes OK but just making the point there is a different mindset among the people. Like when the suffergettes protesting led to votes for women Sometimes with protests there are plants to discredit them. I doubt they would go as far as defacing a memorial though.Not helping the cause whoever did it.

Half a million? Where are you getting that figure from? The guardian is citing police saying there was about 100 people protesting in London, and bizarrely Charlotte Church protesting more or less on her own in Cardiff.

I'm thinking Charlotte Church and Russel Brand and I'm interlocking my fingers in a way that would make Brent proud.

I got my wires crossed on that one! Home brew and FT posting seldom ends well.

A few hundred at best - give it time though. 

Five years of savage cuts and vulnerable people dropping dead left right & centre, and the only reaction is a few hundred whackos in a tinpot protest, at least some of whom are evidently either completely morally bankrupt or astonishingly lacking in any kind of awareness, and who deserve every last inch of the truncheon.

If I was a lefty I'd be ashamed. You can do better than that. If Labour had have gotten in there would have been no protests, of course, because tories are generally more grown up about these things, but given the rhetoric we've heard from the left about how nasty and down right murderous the tories are, I expected a stronger reaction.

I wish zingari still posted on here. He could have used today as proof that he was right when he predicted a couple of years back that tory cuts would lead to "mass riots and blood on the streets" lol

I got my wires crossed on that one! Home brew and FT posting seldom ends well.

A few hundred at best - give it time though. 

It depends on whether theTories bring in any laws banning protest marches under the guise of anti-terorism acts.They can be certain to have support from sections of the media and public.

It depends on whether theTories bring in any laws banning protest marches under the guise of anti-terorism acts.They can be certain to have support from sections of the media and public.

Wouldn't rule that out with Theresa May.

I don't think rioting purely because the Tories won was ever likely, we will see what they try to come up with in terms of cuts and what reaction that will bring.

I'm ambivalent to protests and riots. I'm too selfish to riot and I think a peaceful protest is completely pointless, but I can understand and respect people who take direct action because of a cause they are passionate about.

Sadly I am not surprised by these, albeit small, protests.  Elements of the left ring can be just as disgusting as some from the right.  However I do think the left were stunned at the sheer scale of the defeat, perhaps there is a sense of disbelief and bitterness at the result that have left so many on that side of the fence angry.

Sadly I am not surprised by these, albeit small, protests.  Elements of the left ring can be just as disgusting as some from the right.  However I do think the left were stunned at the sheer scale of the defeat, perhaps there is a sense of disbelief and bitterness at the result that have left so many on that side of the fence angry.

Exhibit A:

"This country in which I have the misfortune to live is a hellhole of tribal paranoia, toxic self-pity, establishment smugness and blinkered blame. We are closing in on ourselves and our own circles, blindly repeating each other's brain-farts until they become hivemind gospel, building shared nests of common assumption in which to hide the truth until it dies of starvation. Listen to us, spouting platitudes about "hard work" and "supporting our families" to sweeten the fact that our most meaningful activity is scratching around in the dirt for specks of gold and spending them on plastic toys to amuse ourselves. Spot the dissonance when we talk about kindness and charity, then lash out at everyone who needs our help. We're congratulating ourselves for our own good luck, reducing everything to the sad and trivial dimension of "who works" and "who pays" and who can climb out of the rising water if they step on enough heads. We are gleefully submitting our minds and lives to the agenda of our "betters", and we don't care as long as we can parrot sweet little fairytales of our "individualism" and "independence" while we suck up blatant falsehoods from the multiple nipples of the media beast. Lie to us, we're not bothered; just promise to protect us and we'll bend over till we can bend no more. Five years of the whip and we still haven't fvcking had enough."

Eloquent, though.

That is eloquently written indeed. Where is it from? If it's online somewhere I bet it has got a shit load of likes in spite of being total garbage from start to finish, highlighting the shallow-minded left's preference for style over substance.

That is eloquently written indeed. Where is it from? If it's online somewhere I bet it has got a shit load of likes in spite of being total garbage from start to finish, highlighting the shallow-minded left's preference for style over substance.

A friend of mine who is a semi-professional writer and professional manuscript editor. Wrote it on their social media account just after the results had been announced. 

Don't actually think it's spread much and there's no way I feel so passionately angry as they do about a Tory victory, but I do appreciate the use of language. 

Five years of savage cuts and vulnerable people dropping dead left right & centre, and the only reaction is a few hundred whackos in a tinpot protest, at least some of whom are evidently either completely morally bankrupt or astonishingly lacking in any kind of awareness, and who deserve every last inch of the truncheon.

If I was a lefty I'd be ashamed. You can do better than that. If Labour had have gotten in there would have been no protests, of course, because tories are generally more grown up about these things, but given the rhetoric we've heard from the left about how nasty and down right murderous the tories are, I expected a stronger reaction.

I wish zingari still posted on here. He could have used today as proof that he was right when he predicted a couple of years back that tory cuts would lead to "mass riots and blood on the streets" lol

Why so bitter and angry in victory?

Just as those of us who didn't vote Tory have to accept that we have five more years of them, you and others among their support must accept that there are millions of people who will oppose them and that there's a good chance that their numbers will increase.

That's democracy.

Why is this just about the Tories? Who bought in the antiterrorism act to erode our civil liberties?

Just as those of us who didn't vote Tory have to accept that we have five more years of them, you and others among their support must accept that there are millions of people who will oppose them and that there's a good chance that their numbers will increase.

That's democracy.

There's no bitterness or anger in either of those posts. I do accept that there will be protests, primarily from people who have had their benefits cut.

A Tory obviously would not appreciate the sentiment and passion behind it.

Looking at it from a writer's POV I thought it was well written.

Sentiment and passion like describing supporting your family as a platitude? If you're cold to that concept then you're dead inside.

That's democracy.

Exactly. Maybe its only the 'whackos'  that will actually get off their arse and do something. People in this country  protest silently, mumble to themdelves but as long as they are not the ones that suffer they willa lot of the time stay silent. I mentioned  in anotherpost a woman who was a Tory member  that had her DLA removed Now she opposes them. Strange that.

Not surprised at this Over100 people voted for a dead man. Former Eurovision singer Ronnie Carrol who died a month ago.

Well  manly candidates were brain dead so hard to tell.

There's no bitterness or anger in either of those posts. I do accept that there will be protests, primarily from people who have had their benefits cut.

Again, why the presumptions?

There have been protests from public sector workers (for whom you have a bizarre and visceral hatred, admittedly) and many others.

Your idea that only people on benefits could possibly have any problem with this government is absolutely false.

People  that deal with those affected by benefit cuts and  have to help them are also going  to protest. People with families affected are  going  to protest. People  who give a damn are going to protest. Healthworkers, charity organisations.

Those with comfortable lives may be unaware so will dismiss protesters as loonies or lefties.

A  couple of hundred?

Cuts%20protest%20march%20in%20London.jpg

Just watcheda video of the riots from a blogger called  thesilentanon  Does not look good if there  iare more of the protests. The police are really  piling with their batons in. It will be horseback police and army next.

Again, why the presumptions?

There have been protests from public sector workers (for whom you have a bizarre and visceral hatred, admittedly) and many others.

Your idea that only people on benefits could possibly have any problem with this government is absolutely false.

Sorry yes, that's me lumping public sector workers in with people on benefits again. What I mean is we'll see protests from people who receive less public money and they'll be protesting about receiving less public money and nothing more. There will be very little ideological opposition to spending cuts but we will see some people directly affected complaining about it.

People that deal with those affected by benefit cuts and have to help them are also going to protest. People with families affected are going to protest. People who give a damn are going to protest. Healthworkers, charity organisations.

Those with comfortable lives may be unaware so will dismiss protesters as loonies or lefties.

A couple of hundred?

not look good if there iare more of the protests. The police are really piling with their batons in. It will be horseback police and army next.

That image is from either 2011 or 2010, ken. You realise we're talking about the protest that happened yesterday?

I'm not sure France is anywhere we want to emulate politically.

The NF a genuine political force and slow recovery from recession.

The NF are a protest vote which has made the other parties take note. Very similar to UKIP votes.

Archived