Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbo17J2

Pearson has to go!

You think a very brief snapshot of the man gives you all the information you need to know about his thoughts?

Let's be serious now, you know that isn't true, so why say it? I know you're keen on negativity but that's quite a stretch to say you know the manager "doesn't care" because he yawned once.

I think it's a reasonable point. If a student yawns at school they're told off. If I yawned in a meeting in my job I'd probably be warned too. You could forgive the manager this, perhaps even take the view that it's a reflection on how many hours he's putting in to his job, were it not for the fact that his comments, and those of many of his players at times when his sides are struggling, seem to suggest a manager who is not as worried as we are about our predicament.

Of course, that might be a good thing too!

Pearson has been involved in 2 relegation scraps in his career (Carlisle and Southampton) and succeeded against the odds in both cases.

Neither in the PL. Success in the lower leagues means little in the context of one of the best leagues in the world. It's not a fair comparison, we can only go on his performance in the PL, and to date that's not been great...

Neither in the PL. Success in the lower leagues means little in the context of one of the best leagues in the world. It's not a fair comparison, we can only go on his performance in the PL, and to date that's not been great...

I was replying to a post which talked about Pulis' success in keeping up teams in lower leagues before having a crack at the top flight.

Pearson has been involved in 2 relegation scraps in his career (Carlisle and Southampton) and succeeded against the odds in both cases.

I'm aware of that, but - at risk of repeating myself - his CV, especially at this level, is not as good for a club in our situation.

But that's not to say we should fire him, and it's certainly not to say he won't keep us up. And I wouldn't question for a second that his record is also reasonable with struggling sides. All I'm saying is that Pulis' record is better. We can say that we shouldn't switch managers - I don't think we should - but it's madness to argue that there isn't a very viable alternative out there.

I'm aware of that, but - at risk of repeating myself - his CV, especially at this level, is not as good for a club in this situation.

But that's not to say we should fire him, and it's certainly not to say he won't keep us up.

So was Tony Pulis' when he kept Stoke up?

We're going round in circles.

Yeah everything Nige has done goes in the same bin as penalties, cup goals and goals scored by foreigners.

So was Tony Pulis' when he kept Stoke up?

We're going round in circles.

As I keep saying, none of this is to say that Pearson won't keep us up.

We're going round in circles because you haven't realised that my post was purely about Pulis being a perfectly viable alternative. There is absolutely nothing in that statement which could possibly imply that, therefore, nobody other than Tony Pulis can keep us in the Premier League. I mean, can any man possibly be so stupid as to think that?

I'm aware of that, but - at risk of repeating myself - his CV, especially at this level, is not as good for a club in our situation.

But that's not to say we should fire him, and it's certainly not to say he won't keep us up. And I wouldn't question for a second that his record is also reasonable with struggling sides. All I'm saying is that Pulis' record is better. We can say that we shouldn't switch managers - I don't think we should - but it's madness to argue that there isn't a very viable alternative out there.

Of course his record is better, he's been up there longer. Pearson's Championship record trounces Pulis's yet I'm sure clubs in that league would prefer Pulis to Pearson.

All about perception really. Pulis would offer a knowhow and a structure but if fans think we'll be heaps better than we are now then I think they're misguided. Or much more attractive.

I don't believe Pearson is the best thing ever and can't be improved upon but there's always a misty-eyed look elsewhere when we are struggling.

so we're only going to do well if we appoint a manager who has already stayed up in a premier league relegation scrap before 

PAUL JEWELL COME ON DOWN 

No, clearly not and, so far as I can see, you're the first person on here to suggest this. Gillies and O'Neill had never kept a side in the top flight either. And, as for Pearson, he stands an excellent chance of keeping us in this league, though I'm sure a good few neutrals would think that Tony Pulis would stand an even better chance The point is that a manager's CV, when discussing whether there is a viable alternative to the current manager, has to count for something. Otherwise nobody would ever employ Mourinho, Van Gaal etc.

As I keep saying, none of this is to say that Pearson won't keep us up.

We're going round in circles because you haven't realised that my post was purely about Pulis being a perfectly viable alternative. There is absolutely nothing in that statement which could possibly imply that, therefore, nobody other than Tony Pulis can keep us in the Premier League. I mean, can any man possibly be so stupid as to think that?

That's not what I was saying at all.

You made a post suggesting Pulis was better qualified than Pearson, listing off a load of Pulis' achievements.

All that happened then was I posted something saying that Pearson's record was also good in the lower leagues.

I think you're trying to be way, way too clever with some of the posts in this thread.

Come on, I'm against the idea of firing Pearson but try for a moment to be objective. We have a manager who is in his first ever post as a full-time Premier League manager. Tony Pulis, on the other hand, kept Stoke in this league for several seasons, and Palace for one season. A Palace side who were, at the point of his taking over, in a worse position than we are now. And, if you want to go further back, his track record of turning relegation strugglers into decent teams at a lower level is pretty astounding too. I'd hope people could see that his CV for struggling sides, especially at this level and for this type of club, is stronger than Pearson's.

I am being objective - who could do better?

Pulis doesn't know anything but long ball, we've seen that this team can't play that so I seriously doubt he'd be better.

Of course his record is better, he's been up there longer. Pearson's Championship record trounces Pulis's yet I'm sure clubs in that league would prefer Pulis to Pearson.

All about perception really. Pulis would offer a knowhow and a structure but if fans think we'll be heaps better than we are now then I think they're misguided. Or much more attractive.

I don't believe Pearson is the best thing ever and can't be improved upon but there's always a misty-eyed look elsewhere when we are struggling.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Obviously the neutral would consider Pulis to be a safer bet, but that's not to say Pearson won't turn out to be a far superior Premier League manager.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Obviously the neutral would consider Pulis to be a safer bet, but that's not to say Pearson won't turn out to be a far superior Premier League manager.

You've basically dropped trou, done a big stinky one right in the middle of this thread and said "wow, imagine if somebody shat in here?!"

Ok mate I do still. What would you do? Sack him? Who are you bringing in and what is your justification for doing so?

No, I wouldn't sack him just yet, but he has clearly made a good many cock ups, since we won promotion.

Where have I mentioned he should be sacked, this season? Please show me. The fact is I haven't, you dimwit. 

I just don't get all this 'consistency' stuff. It seems, to me, to be a very basic argument that deflects from the reality of the moment.

I'm not a statistician and don't have all the facts and figures around which teams have done best when they've retained their managers, and which haven't. Some bright spark will put a table up, no doubt.

But what is 'consistency'? What does it mean? How long does any team give a manager to produce the goods? 6 mths? 1 year? 10 years?

As far as I can see, there have been many clubs who have changed managers when they felt they needed to, to good effect.

We did it with Sven. Was Sven sacked too soon? And if so, how long would we have kept him?

Bolton are a good current example. They stuck with Freedman for far too long, and looked to be genuine relegation contenders under him. Now they have Lennon and are bouncing back. How long should Freedman have had? Would any of you have given him any longer?

Wenger is another good example. He's built a strong and capable squad..but has won one, single FA cup in over ten years. This season, they are further off winning the title than they have been for ages. Wenger out? Well, many of the Arsenal fans would say so.

Look at Chelsea..they've chopped and changed for years and now they again look to have it absolutely right. Would you rather be a Chelsea fan at present, or an Arsenal fan?

I think this whole consistency theory, in football, appears flawed. Even City...however well we did under Nige last season, there is literally no way of knowing whether we could have replicated last season with another man at the helm. Who knows? Possibly a person who both took us up AND signed the right players to make us already look good at this level.

No, I don't want to keep Pearson due to any tenuous link to 'consistency'. I want to keep him because I think, fundamentally, he's a good manager, a genuine one and I don't want disruption again, at this point.

However, I don't get the whole consistency for consistency's sake argument.

And never really have.

It's a tough one.  West Ham have stuck with Allardyce and they seemed to have turned the corner.  Newcastle seem to be doing similar under Pardew.  Nobody has a crystal ball but in my opinion, we will get back to winning ways soon.

That's not what I was saying at all.

You made a post suggesting Pulis was better qualified than Pearson, listing off a load of Pulis' achievements.

All that happened then was I posted something saying that Pearson's record was also good in the lower leagues.

I think you're trying to be way, way too clever with some of the posts in this thread.

He is better qualified than Pearson. It doesn't mean that the better qualified manager will turn out to be the best manager.

I made a straightforward point that another poster, who felt that there was no viable alternative, was clearly wrong. Which aspect of this statement have you taken issue with?

He is better qualified than Pearson. It doesn't mean that the better qualified manager will turn out to be the best manager.

I made a straightforward point that another poster, who felt that there was no viable alternative, was clearly wrong. Which aspect of this statement have you taken issue with?

None, I don't disagree with your point at all. You weren't being fair in comparing Pulis and Pearson.

Why all the animosity buddy etc and so on.

Archived