Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbo17J2

Pearson has to go!

Several assumptions there.

Why not keep the manger you have, let him asses what we need now he's seen how they have performed in this league, let him add a few players to his squad. There are no cast iron guarantees either way, so making out we only have one option is ridiculous.

Did I say we only have one option?

My view is that we are more likely to stay up if we bring in a new manager, on the assumption that new manager would be someone like Pulis who has a proven track record at this level. Possibly Pearson could keep us up. Looking at how we have fallen to the bottom I think it's less likely.

All options are in with a chance of being right.

My view is that we are more likely to stay up if we bring in a new manager, on the assumption that new manager would be someone like Pulis who has a proven track record at this level. Possibly Pearson could keep us up. Looking at how we have fallen to the bottom I think it's less likely.

He hardly has a 'track record' of keeping teams up that are bottom of the league, he did it once.

Should we bring Keiron Richardson in? He must also have a proven track record of keeping teams up as well.

"If you bring in a new manager now he has December to assess the squad and bring in some new faces in January. Leave it too late and we are down."

Well you make it sound like we are down if we don't change the manager now, so yes it does sound like you think there is only one option.

It's a cliche that the margins between success and failure in the Premier League are wafer thin.

But think on this:

- If we hadn't conceded that late free-kick v. Burnley and had got a draw v. either WBA or QPR (and we arguably had more chances than QPR), we'd now be about 15th and people would be saying we were holding our own

- If we had also stuck away one of several chances v. Sunderland, we'd now be 13th and aiming to beat Liverpool to go into the top half of the table

Now, don't get me wrong. If we fail to clear balls from our 6-yard box as we did at QPR, create as few chances as we were doing for half a dozen matches before Sunderland or miss chances like we did at QPR, we'll probably go down. Improvements are needed, but the margins are so fine.

We might need to bring in 1 or 2 new players in January - maybe a more instinctive finisher or a mobile, dominant midfielder. But we might just need NP and team to coax/train slightly better performances out of a few existing players. During the 2nd half of the 12-13 season, the form of Vardy and Drinkwater plummeted and we only just scraped the play-offs. Yet last season they had improved to the extent that they were arguably the 2 most important players in winning the Championship. This season, Drinky seems to have completely lost confidence again....but might bounce back yet again; Vardy has looked more of a threat again recently, but missed 3 good chances at QPR.....if he starts taking 1 or 2 chances, that alone could make all the difference.

If we were 10 points adrift of safety and being outclassed week-in, week-out, a change of manager (or more wide-ranging squad overhaul) might be justified. That's not the case yet. Even though there have been flaws in our performances, we've been pretty unlucky to only get 2 points from 8 matches. Now, we can't carry on being "unlucky" for too much longer, but it's not panic stations yet.

If we manage a win v. Liverpool we could go up 5 places tomorrow, for Christ's sake! There's only one Nigel Pearson! COYB!!

It's a cliche that the margins between success and failure in the Premier League are wafer thin.

But think on this:

- If we hadn't conceded that late free-kick v. Burnley and had got a draw v. either WBA or QPR (and we arguably had more chances than QPR), we'd now be about 15th and people would be saying we were holding our own

- If we had also stuck away one of several chances v. Sunderland, we'd now be 13th and aiming to beat Liverpool to go into the top half of the table

Now, don't get me wrong. If we fail to clear balls from our 6-yard box as we did at QPR, create as few chances as we were doing for half a dozen matches before Sunderland or miss chances like we did at QPR, we'll probably go down. Improvements are needed, but the margins are so fine.

We might need to bring in 1 or 2 new players in January - maybe a more instinctive finisher or a mobile, dominant midfielder. But we might just need NP and team to coax/train slightly better performances out of a few existing players. During the 2nd half of the 12-13 season, the form of Vardy and Drinkwater plummeted and we only just scraped the play-offs. Yet last season they had improved to the extent that they were arguably the 2 most important players in winning the Championship. This season, Drinky seems to have completely lost confidence again....but might bounce back yet again; Vardy has looked more of a threat again recently, but missed 3 good chances at QPR.....if he starts taking 1 or 2 chances, that alone could make all the difference.

If we were 10 points adrift of safety and being outclassed week-in, week-out, a change of manager (or more wide-ranging squad overhaul) might be justified. That's not the case yet. Even though there have been flaws in our performances, we've been pretty unlucky to only get 2 points from 8 matches. Now, we can't carry on being "unlucky" for too much longer, but it's not panic stations yet.

If we manage a win v. Liverpool we could go up 5 places tomorrow, for Christ's sake! There's only one Nigel Pearson! COYB!!

Absolutely nailed it for me Alf, spot on.

He hardly has a 'track record' of keeping teams up that are bottom of the league, he did it once.

Should we bring Keiron Richardson in? He must also have a proven track record of keeping teams up as well.

How many clubs have stayed up when they were bottom of the Premier League at end November?

Way back in 1997/98 Everton got up to 17th. And 10 years ago West Brom did the same, 17th.

In more recent history the best and only example is Pulis at Palace last season. He joined Palace this time last year. The other point about Pulis is that he established Stoke in the Premier League.

How many clubs have stayed up when they were bottom of the Premier League at end November?

Way back in 1997/98 Everton got up to 17th. And 10 years ago West Brom did the same, 17th.

In more recent history the best and only example is Pulis at Palace last season. He joined Palace this time last year. The other point about Pulis is that he established Stoke in the Premier League.

But how many times has their been a 3 point gap between bottom and 14th?

I guess not many.

Their is no whipping boys this season, we are going through bad form yes but we have not been played off the park by any team so far.

Not quite sure what people were expecting this season. Most of us predicted we would be in a relegation scrap, there will be times when we will be in the relegation zone and times when we are out. If people thought we would sit comfortably in the middle of the table all year they are deluded as to the strength of the league.

We are not adrift at the bottom, we aren't getting walloped week in week out playing without any heart of spirit. We are not winning games by small margins. So for people to suggest that Pearson has to go at this stage of the season is ludicrous. He is the only man to bring success to our club in my lifetime certainly, and warrants time to attempt to keep us up. A few shrewd buys in January and a change of luck and I think we will just about be okay. Changing manager and uprooting our young squad could potentially set us back years. In Pearson I trust.

Not quite sure what people were expecting this season. Most of us predicted we would be in a relegation scrap, there will be times when we will be in the relegation zone and times when we are out. If people thought we would sit comfortably in the middle of the table all year they are deluded as to the strength of the league.

We are not adrift at the bottom, we aren't getting walloped week in week out playing without any heart of spirit. We are not winning games by small margins. So for people to suggest that Pearson has to go at this stage of the season is ludicrous. He is the only man to bring success to our club in my lifetime certainly, and warrants time to attempt to keep us up. A few shrewd buys in January and a change of luck and I think we will just about be okay. Changing manager and uprooting our young squad could potentially set us back years. In Pearson I trust.

Without going around in circles, yes we expected a tough season, but we look all over the place defensively and none existent in attack for long periods, before Saturday, and devoid of ideas about how to get a win.

I respect the fact that you trust Pearson, but not all have that faith, and mine is going game by game.

The struggle we expected wasn't what we are seeing now, I think the majority expected to win the odd one, scrap a few draws, and lose quite a bit, but come the end of the season, stay up or go down by a point or two.

Not what is it 2 points out of a possible 28, go 500 odd minutes without scoring, go games without really creating, and conceding for fun, and look so poor defensively.

As I said on an another thread, I really hope Pearson can sort it out, but how the results are going, I don't have you faith in his ability.

There are many reasons we are at the bottom, one is our transfers, recruiting similar standard players and players for the development squad, drastic errors are now catching up with us as we lack quality.

It was always going to be a struggle for a championship side in the premier league, but I am sure we could have done better in the summer, and Pearson had to much faith in the squad making the step up, and opted for others casts off on a free and young kids.

We live in hope that these so called fine margins that never go our way, will start to go our way, and performances and results improve.

If we continue in this vain, I don't see the owners having much option if they are serious about the 3 year plan

But think on this:

Great post Alf BUT...this 'what if' argument will only last so long I'm afraid. Football isn't about what ifs..it's a cut-throat, points business. We need some points.

Put it this way. IF we win tomorrow, I'll be looking back at your post and nodding my head even more than I am now.

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

It's a gut feeling. They seem to be at the club a lot less these days and if they don't notice any difference to the king power brand because of our season in prem then they might go down a different route.

It's a gut feeling. They seem to be at the club a lot less these days and if they don't notice any difference to the king power brand because of our season in prem then they might go down a different route.

They would lose millions if they sold up, if they're even thinking along those lines then I'd imagine that NFP is a dead man walking.

This is a team which has been built not only by Nigel, but by the owners as well, and they will 100% back Pearson as the right man to get these players playing together to stay up. He only recently signed a new-contract, with the owners knowing full-well we were one of three potential teams likely to go straight back down. 

If the owners sack Pearson for some unlucky displays and L's instead of W's, then they're wouldn't have put so much effort in to building with Pearson and stabilising the club.

Talk of sacking? Only if we go another 3-5 games without a win and are 3+ points from safety would they act in desperation.

Give the manager a chance, even if we go down i'd back Nigel.

Great post Alf BUT...this 'what if' argument will only last so long I'm afraid. Football isn't about what ifs..it's a cut-throat, points business. We need some points.

Put it this way. IF we win tomorrow, I'll be looking back at your post and nodding my head even more than I am now.

If we dont and results go against us putting us 4 points away from safety?

We've all been watching football long enough to know that the longer you go in a run like this, the harder it is to break out of it.

I really hope we win the next two, play better and enter the Christmas period in around 15th place easing the panic.

Personally I dont think Pearson can turn it around but I hope to God he can. I hate all this shit.

They would lose millions if they sold up, if they're even thinking along those lines then I'd imagine that NFP is a dead man walking.

They have lost millions already, I'm not sure what else they have to lose by selling up other than getting something back .They own the ground as well and could rent it back for a return. I don't think they would though, with the FFP era you can run a tight ship financially and the fans expect it. Going down shouldn't cost them if they have planned correctly and all contracts reflect relegation etc.

They have lost millions already, I'm not sure what else they have to lose by selling up other than getting something back .They own the ground as well and could rent it back for a return. I don't think they would though, with the FFP era you can run a tight ship financially and the fans expect it. Going down shouldn't cost them if they have planned correctly and all contracts reflect relegation etc.

They would lose out on millions rather than lose millions. The exercise in wage structure and staffing over the last 3 years should have us running in a good financial position.

Its quite clear that relegation isnt in their plans but on the evidence of how they've conducted themselves since buying us, i'm sure they have taken the financial implications of relegation into consideration as a contingency.

Archived