Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Cities: Skylines

Where did you get the stadiums and tennis courts from?

Steam workshop mate, just search simple terms like 'stadium' or 'tennis' and there should be a fair few by now. Worth sorting by 'top' as well and browsing the first 10/20 pages, there's some decent stuff on there now to make it look nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a demo avalable for this so I know wether it'll run on my laptop or not?

Not a demo as such but if you visit this website (on said laptop) and select the game from the list it will perform a system check :) Excellent website, reliable and I use it before I buy any new game.

Unfortunately I am at the point now where no game meets recommended, although my PC runs perfectly fine so I am reluctant to buy a new rig just for gaming when I am only a casual gamer. The main block is the graphics card :ermm:

Edited by DB11

Not a demo as such but if you visit this website (on said laptop) and select the game from the list it will perform a system check :) Excellent website, reliable and I use it before I buy any new game.

Unfortunately I am at the point now where no game meets recommended, although my PC runs perfectly fine so I am reluctant to buy a new rig just for gaming when I am only a casual gamer. The main block is the graphics card :ermm:

This is the problem I have with websites like this, because I have Intel intergrated graphics 4400 it instantly tells me I can't run anything, just because It has no dedicated video RAM. It's more than capable of running the vast majority of games i've tried on low settings though. The only games I really play on PC are sim and strategy games you can't get on consoles so i'm not really bothered about the graphics looking fancy.

I just wish more PC gaming companys would throw out some sort of benchmark for their games so you can at least see wether it'll crawl if you pay for it.

This is the problem I have with websites like this, because I have Intel intergrated graphics 4400 it instantly tells me I can't run anything, just because It has no dedicated video RAM. It's more than capable of running the vast majority of games i've tried on low settings though. The only games I really play on PC are sim and strategy games you can't get on consoles so i'm not really bothered about the graphics looking fancy.

I just wish more PC gaming companys would throw out some sort of benchmark for their games so you can at least see wether it'll crawl if you pay for it.

What processor/ram do you have? it's fairly intensive on those. I have a GTX 560, i5-2500 and 8gb RAM and it runs fairly well on med/high.

What processor/ram do you have? it's fairly intensive on those. I have a GTX 560, i5-2500 and 8gb RAM and it runs fairly well on med/high.

I've got an I5 processor, intel intergrated graphics 4400 and 6GB RAM

Games like CIV5 and the sims seem to work on it pretty well on medium settings

I've got an I5 processor, intel intergrated graphics 4400 and 6GB RAM

Games like CIV5 and the sims seem to work on it pretty well on medium settings

It's hard to say then. If you trust your graphics card then just take the rest of what that website says. 

If not I probably wouldn't risk it.

• 8 months later...

Was -15 F over the weekend, seemed like a good enough excuse to buy this game.Really good fun, does feel like a step up from Sim City.

Currently trying to go through the steam workshop and get what i need in order to build exclusively traditional buildings throughout my city.  I've downloaded a few packs and enabled them, but it seems like they've just been added to the default building styles. I'm trying to create my own Poundbury...can't be having all these mid-century ranch houses popping up everywhere.

Some pictures from my ~150k pop city. Can't believe I've logged 60 odd hours on this already.

qrufD06.jpg

riLAKXk.jpg

pWjizRx.jpg

3CIzNCk.jpg

Gj4IatG.jpg

s5pBH2p.jpg

Still having a lot of fun, trying to actually make it look nice now rather than just gridding up everywhere. Playing on a 95% flat map so looking forward to getting started on one of the custom ones that'll make it a bit more interesting. 

Call me stupid but have you got any tips for building cities like this?

When I play Im bland and have box cities with industrial on one side and residential on the other, I want to make cities that have things like curved roads  and a giant motoway running through the centre but I hate destroying stuff I have already placed :L

Any tips on a starting layout for the first hour or two of a game?

Nice city btw

Edited by TheMightySystem

Call me stupid but have you got any tips for building cities like this?

When I play Im bland and have box cities with industrial on one side and residential on the other, I want to make cities that have things like curved roads  and a giant motoway running through the centre but I hate destroying stuff I have already placed :L

Any tips on a starting layout for the first hour or two of a game?

Nice city btw

Hey! I'll be honest, I haven't fired it up for about 6 months now, I had become a little bit addicted to it, it was too easy to go on in the evening and spend 6 hours on there. I'll still keep in the loop on reddit and other forums to see what's going on and what the modding scene is like.

You've just got to go with the flow really, it's fun to just create a sprawl. Start off small with some communities, how you'd expect a real town to grow. You'll have things like a high street and an industrial area where your residents can commute to and then a few housing estates. From there you just expand. Use the land to inspire you, you can have hillside and lakeside areas for example. It helps to split your city into districts/areas just like a real one would be.

I'd recommend checking out reddit.com/r/citiesskylines I've got a lot of inspiration on there and people showcase some cool mods on there. There's not a huge variety of buildings and assets in the base game so adding modpacks can help you create all sorts.

One final thing, don't feel like you have to stick to a city if you're not getting on with it. If you're not happy after a couple of hours then just work out what you're not happy about, start again and try and learn from it.

• Like 1

I was spending 6-8 hours a night on it for weeks around 6 months ago until my computer couldn't cope with more than 80,000 population and the game grinded to a halt, probably for the best. My whole city was a mess though, in some areas I couldn't sort the traffic out and then I'd struggle to get workers into other areas even though the demand was there.

I did notice yesterday they are releasing a new snowfall update soon, looks great.

I was spending 6-8 hours a night on it for weeks around 6 months ago until my computer couldn't cope with more than 80,000 population and the game grinded to a halt, probably for the best. My whole city was a mess though, in some areas I couldn't sort the traffic out and then I'd struggle to get workers into other areas even though the demand was there.

I did notice yesterday they are releasing a new snowfall update soon, looks great.

New mod released today that puts in a proper day cycle. If you have the after dark dlc this means that cims will follow a proper cycle. Ie. Rush hour, people going to bed at night etc.

Could be one of the biggest and most important mods yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605590542

Edited by Haydos

New mod released today that puts in a proper day cycle. If you have the after dark dlc this means that cims will follow a proper cycle. Ie. Rush hour, people going to bed at night etc.

Could be one of the biggest and most important mods yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605590542

As if I didn't have enough to do already, now I need to fit playing this game back into my daily routine. Thanks a lot Haydos, thanks a bunch!

As if I didn't have enough to do already, now I need to fit playing this game back into my daily routine. Thanks a lot Haydos, thanks a bunch!

I know, I used to play it way too much, been seeing my mrs for about 9 months now, I think my end to playing it coincided with her, probably for the best. Such a time sink but it's hard to hop on for half an hour.

Hey! I'll be honest, I haven't fired it up for about 6 months now, I had become a little bit addicted to it, it was too easy to go on in the evening and spend 6 hours on there. I'll still keep in the loop on reddit and other forums to see what's going on and what the modding scene is like.

You've just got to go with the flow really, it's fun to just create a sprawl. Start off small with some communities, how you'd expect a real town to grow. You'll have things like a high street and an industrial area where your residents can commute to and then a few housing estates. From there you just expand. Use the land to inspire you, you can have hillside and lakeside areas for example. It helps to split your city into districts/areas just like a real one would be.

I'd recommend checking out reddit.com/r/citiesskylines I've got a lot of inspiration on there and people showcase some cool mods on there. There's not a huge variety of buildings and assets in the base game so adding modpacks can help you create all sorts.

One final thing, don't feel like you have to stick to a city if you're not getting on with it. If you're not happy after a couple of hours then just work out what you're not happy about, start again and try and learn from it.

Cheers for the tips mate, guna start building in the afternoon and see how much I can get done until the evening :)

I've only just figured out yesterday that you can build road tunnels (and train and pedestrian) right from the start, without needing any fancy mods or add-ons.

Wish I knew that before I blighted the entire city with streets in the skies.

• 2 months later...

@@Haydos @@stripeyfox

Can't quite believe I've only just got this but I have.

Couple of questions, the first is so ridiculous I almost feel embarrassed asking, installing mods - it is just like other games, right? Subscribe on the steam workshop and done? I added a couple of UI mods and a small football pitch that don't appear to be working.

Second, what your essential, game making, can't live without mods?

Third, are most of the mods that just add buildings save game compatible? So can I download a stadium, say, and chuck it straight in an existing city? A lot of the mods for UI and balance state they're not save game compatible.

@@Haydos @@stripeyfox

Can't quite believe I've only just got this but I have.

Couple of questions, the first is so ridiculous I almost feel embarrassed asking, installing mods - it is just like other games, right? Subscribe on the steam workshop and done? I added a couple of UI mods and a small football pitch that don't appear to be working.

Second, what your essential, game making, can't live without mods?

Third, are most of the mods that just add buildings save game compatible? So can I download a stadium, say, and chuck it straight in an existing city? A lot of the mods for UI and balance state they're not save game compatible.

Hey hey,

You've probably figured it out by now but yeah, get your mods straight through the work shop. Most are save game compatible, as are the building assets. There are sometimes mod conflicts but they usually get updated when a new patch comes out. Might be best off looking on the forums or on reddit. I've not played for months but I still follow posts on there. There's some fantastic looking game play mods and assests that weren't around when I played. Sometimes they can be a pain to find in the menus but I guess there's a chance they're not save compatible.

Yeah I worked out you have to turn mods and assets on inside the game as well. Odd system but fair enough.

First 70k city was a bit of a mess. It wasn't great BEFORE I stuck the train/sea cargo terminal right in the middle on a river but after? Jesus.

Second one is up to 30k and is better but still having some congestion issues.

• 4 weeks later...