Finnegan Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 It's not about the little girl it's about boosting the feeling of self worth of the people in the crowd that feel good about joining in. The same as people that share / copy pointless messages on Facebook to "raise awareness." If you're touched by this poor girls condition then find a relevant charity and donate or, better yet, give up some of your time to go and volunteer. But clapping at minute X as a football match is a cheap and fast becoming borderline disrespectful empty gesture done more out of awful fashion than real feeling. Hollow, shallow and absolutely awful. Thoughts with her family but I was utterly confused at why everyone started clapping against Hull and I've no interest in partaking in this one either.
Houdini Logic Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Personal opinions aside, these mid match tributes are simply not practical. What happens if either team are awarded a penalty or score a goal bang on 9 minutes? The whole tribute will go to shit and that's worse than not having one at all
DB11 Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 I can see C-Man's point but this is a 9 year old girl who's suffered for most of her life. Where people have died of natural causes, old age etc fair enough that's taking things a bit too far Cancer is a pretty natural cause tbf
Houdini Logic Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 It's not about the little girl it's about boosting the feeling of self worth of the people in the crowd that feel good about joining in. The same as people that share / copy pointless messages on Facebook to "raise awareness." If you're touched by this poor girls condition then find a relevant charity and donate or, better yet, give up some of your time to go and volunteer. But clapping at minute X as a football match is a cheap and fast becoming borderline disrespectful empty gesture done more out of awful fashion than real feeling. Hollow, shallow and absolutely awful. Thoughts with her family but I was utterly confused at why everyone started clapping against Hull and I've no interest in partaking in this one either. I agree with your sentiment but I think you've let your cynicism spill over a little here. When I first read the article I felt truly sad and thought the applause was a nice gesture. Reading the subsequent comments has actually changed my view on these sort of things, though if I hadn't read people's opinions and I decided to applaud, it wouldn't be to follow a fashion or for a feeling of self worth. Your point could have been better made without going OTT- just reign it in a bit and don't talk on behalf of everyone that attends a match.
indierich06 Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 It's not about the little girl it's about boosting the feeling of self worth of the people in the crowd that feel good about joining in. The same as people that share / copy pointless messages on Facebook to "raise awareness." If you're touched by this poor girls condition then find a relevant charity and donate or, better yet, give up some of your time to go and volunteer. But clapping at minute X as a football match is a cheap and fast becoming borderline disrespectful empty gesture done more out of awful fashion than real feeling. Hollow, shallow and absolutely awful. Thoughts with her family but I was utterly confused at why everyone started clapping against Hull and I've no interest in partaking in this one either. Agree with this 100%. Honour the dead by doing something to help the living. Imagine if every single one of these clappers gave a few quid to Cancer Research, or did some volunteering? A minute's applause at a football match isn't helping anyone - it's just a bunch of people wanting to feel better about themselves before they go home and promptly forget about whoever it was they were clapping for.
harpendenfox Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Excellent debate this with thoughtful posts from everyone. Have to say I didn't clap in the 48th minute for Terry, although I was well aware of the circumstances and also paused for extra thought as I'm also 48. Having not clapped, I then felt a little awkward as everyone around me appeared to do so. I guess this has got be a classic 'each to their own' situation. Out of interest I went on the fundraising website established to try and provide specialist treatment for the young girl before she passed. Extraordinarily moving.
Mike Oxlong Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 These things when appropriate are best done outside of the playing time. Perhaps well meaning but getting a bit gimmicky now which actually does nothing to respect the person who has died. Are we really empathising with the dreadful family situation or are we just clapping because it seems to be the right thing to do? If we had a player wrongly sent off in the ninth minute are we to carry on clapping and then burst into "who's the bastard in the black" as soon as the minute is up. For notable players/managers a minutes respect before the match is fine IMO but we should draw the line there. Hats off to C Man for being the first to express an alternative opinion on a difficult subject. And if you really want to do something to help, see Finners post above.
Babylon Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Personally (as I mentioned last time this subject came up) I'd rather there was perhaps something done the last game of the season every year for all fans lost that year. That way families who would like something mentioning at the ground could have something put on the screens. Whether it's a list of names, pictures, whatever is feasible really with a bit of fitting music. People can pay their respects then if they wish to everyone, rather than a few deemed worthy by twitter.
ThurnbyLodgeFox Posted 19 March 2015 Posted 19 March 2015 Question is, is she a Spurs or Leicester fan, she's wearing both shirts
Guest ttfn Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 Personally (as I mentioned last time this subject came up) I'd rather there was perhaps something done the last game of the season every year for all fans lost that year. That way families who would like something mentioning at the ground could have something put on the screens. Whether it's a list of names, pictures, whatever is feasible really with a bit of fitting music. People can pay their respects then if they wish to everyone, rather than a few deemed worthy by twitter. Great idea.
Rincewind Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 Was just going to post something like that. And have the applause before the game or half time. If the family do or do not want the names put on the screen they can be asked first. There mist be more than one fan/supporter die each week between the two teams. do fans listening on the radio join in or when it is a TV game those watching in pubs holding pints? nice gesture though
Number 6 Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 It'll still bug me when this starts at 9:00 rather than 8:00.
RonnieTodger Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 Have to say, I agree with C-Man and Finnegan etc. they’re becoming very common. This an extremely saddening story that I don’t think anyone would complain about, if it warranted a minute’s silence before the game. That way, the announcer can inform people of what it’s about and who it’s for. This “minute’s applause” is piss-poor for cases that aren’t as high profile as the Petrov tribute. They’re not very dignified if only half the people know what’s going on and could be interrupted by a goal or bad decision. Not everyone has Twitter/Facebook and like Finnegan said, he didn’t have a clue what the applause was about against Hull.
promised land Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 This an extremely saddening story that I don’t think anyone would complain about, if it warranted a minute’s silence before the game.But you wouldn't get a minutes silence, that's why the clapping started as people who don't agree with it would just make a noise in that minute.You have heard countless remembrance day fixtures that have the silence get it disrupted by inbreds who can't keep quiet for a minute.
Arkie Bennett Posted 20 March 2015 Posted 20 March 2015 Obviously tragic but are we having one of these every game now? In a year's time we'll be applauding twice, three times a game for various individuals. For me, applause/silence should be reserved for club legends or fans who have gone above and beyond for the club throughout their life. My heart goes out to her and her family but I will be continuing to support Leicester in the 9th minute as I did in the 48th on Saturday. It's a heartbreakingly tragic story but I agree completely with this and the other similar comments expressed so sensitively in this thread. totally agree perhaps the people who don't do not have kids.. I for one will and I hope it helps the family in some small way.... Some people never get the chance to become a parent. Parenthood has no bearing on someone's capacity for compassion and sensitivity. It'll still bug me when this starts at 9:00 rather than 8:00. I'm not sure why. You aren't nine years old until the end of your ninth year.
Number 6 Posted 21 March 2015 Posted 21 March 2015 It's a heartbreakingly tragic story but I agree completely with this and the other similar comments expressed so sensitively in this thread. Some people never get the chance to become a parent. Parenthood has no bearing on someone's capacity for compassion and sensitivity. I'm not sure why. You aren't nine years old until the end of your ninth year. And fair enough if it was advertised as such. Look at the thread though, it's talked about as 9th minute.
Arkie Bennett Posted 21 March 2015 Posted 21 March 2015 And fair enough if it was advertised as such. Look at the thread though, it's talked about as 9th minute. True. I've never encountered anyone more pedantic than me until now. Well done sir!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.