Guest CityFan 06 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 There is an 9th minute applause planned for Spurs v Leicester this Saturday in memory of Stacey Mowle, who sadly passed away from cancer. Both Tottenham and Leicester fans are encouraged to join in with the applause. Here is the Leicester Mercury's article. http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Fans-campaign-minute-applause-Spurs-vs-Foxes/story-26142835-detail/story.html
Monsell1976 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Will clap with the Spurs fans, bless the brave little girl, R.I.P. Hope she gets at great send off, at the club she loved.
sylofox Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Put this in the pre match this morning but did not have her name. Was told by a spurs fan last night. Hope they get a good response R I P
promised land Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I shall join in, 9 years old and had cancer for 5, awful. Just goes to show you what some people are struggling with day to day and their families, puts it all into perspective when posters on here moan about a game of football.
C-man Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Obviously tragic but are we having one of these every game now? In a year's time we'll be applauding twice, three times a game for various individuals. For me, applause/silence should be reserved for club legends or fans who have gone above and beyond for the club throughout their life. My heart goes out to her and her family but I will be continuing to support Leicester in the 9th minute as I did in the 48th on Saturday.
Monsell1976 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Obviously tragic but are we having one of these every game now? In a year's time we'll be applauding twice, three times a game for various individuals. For me, applause/silence should be reserved for club legends or fans who have gone above and beyond for the club throughout their life. My heart goes out to her and her family but I will be continuing to support Leicester in the 9th minute as I did in the 48th on Saturday. Did you really have to post that, and not just keep it in your head.If you don't want to clap, keep it to yourself, and let the vast majority, if not all the crowd but you, clap for the little girl.
lee7 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I shall join in, 9 years old and had cancer for 5, awful. Just goes to show you what some people are struggling with day to day and their families, puts it all into perspective when posters on here moan about a game of football. Agree with this. I feel for the little girl and her family. Certainly puts everything into perspective.
Sol thewall Bamba Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Obviously tragic but are we having one of these every game now? In a year's time we'll be applauding twice, three times a game for various individuals. For me, applause/silence should be reserved for club legends or fans who have gone above and beyond for the club throughout their life. My heart goes out to her and her family but I will be continuing to support Leicester in the 9th minute as I did in the 48th on Saturday. Can see your point, fans of clubs die every week, who's to say who's deserving of a round of applause and who isn't? Agree that it was a terrible thing to have to go through at such a young age though.
blueharmie Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I didn't clap last week. I never do, however this is a sad story and shows football isn't the be all and end all
iancognito Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I can see C-Man's point but this is a 9 year old girl who's suffered for most of her life. Where people have died of natural causes, old age etc fair enough that's taking things a bit too far but if a minute's applause gives her family a bit of comfort and helps give her a happy send off, then putting your hands to gether for 60 seconds isn't too much effort is it? I'm damn sure if it was my daughter I'd feel a lot better knowing that a few thousand people had me in their thoughts.
Voll Blau Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Agree with C-man on this, as heartbreaking as the poor little girl's story is. Did you really have to post that, and not just keep it in your head.If you don't want to clap, keep it to yourself, and let the vast majority, if not all the crowd but you, clap for the little girl. He's allowed his opinion and been perfectly respectful. I suspect more people actually agree with him than would post about it, especially if that's the kind of response they'll get...
Nalis Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I think we have the same debate on this every time we have one of those threads rather than just respecting the gesture, regardless of whether you are going to personally join in or not.
DB11 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 We've spent more time this season applauding for people that have passed away than we have celebrating goals.
Bob Weasel Fox Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 We've spent more time this season applauding for people that have passed away than we have celebrating goals.That's not difficult in fairnessBless the little girl, hope she gets a great round of applause
Monsell1976 Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 Agree with C-man on this, as heartbreaking as the poor little girl's story is. He's allowed his opinion and been perfectly respectful. I suspect more people actually agree with him than would post about it, especially if that's the kind of response they'll get... Not having a go at him, just stating some views, wether opinions or not are just better off not said.The poor girl suffered most of her life from a horrible illness, and a lot of people's life's are affected by cancer. I have myself survived twice, and I have lost family and friends from the illness. The club are trying to support her family, who probably have suffered, like nobody would want to suffer, and it's a nice gesture, and memorial for her. Yes it has nothing to do with football, other than she was a Spurs fan, he is of course allowed an opinion, but for me it was, it didn't need saying, and for me it was a cold, showed no compassionate, and humanity. Sorry but that's my opinion, and feelings, I will not reply again, as this subject shouldn't end like all threads on here, with arguments.
Freeman's Wharfer Posted 17 March 2015 Posted 17 March 2015 I agree with C-Man and I won't be applauding, just as I wasn't during the Terry Orton one at the weekend. These applauses have become so common place that they just de-value the tribute now and are used for everything and anything. Give me a minute's silence before the match and I'l observe, but during a football match the focus is on the football not whoever may have died the previous week, whatever the circumstance of their death. With the Terry Orton death I was sad to hear of it at the time and Tweeted to say so - a fair and appropriate response I think. With this girl, again I am sad to hear of her death, but if we have an applause for every minute of the age of someone who supported that club who had died that week we'd be clapping non-stop some weeks. Not joining in and expressing an opinion on the tribute doesn't mean that you are in any way less sympathetic.
Guest MattP Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Agree with C-Man and Freeman's Wharfer - these things have just been devalued. If the people involved are worthy of such tribute it should be done in the correct fashion - in a minutes silence before the game. Would people really not cheer and continue to sit and applaud during this period of respect if a goal went in?
MC Prussian Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 These are terrible news - my condolences to the family. However, I find the idea of applauding leaning towards the silly now - this is no disrespect to the poor girl who suffered from such a horrible disease for most part of her life and that at such a young age. I believe the more and more you start having to clap/clapping for anyone, the clapping itself as a gesture becomes common and loses its impact. To put this to an extreme context - imagine clapping an entire game because approximately 90 tributes had to be fit into a full match.
C-man Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Not having a go at him, just stating some views, wether opinions or not are just better off not said. The poor girl suffered most of her life from a horrible illness, and a lot of people's life's are affected by cancer. I have myself survived twice, and I have lost family and friends from the illness. The club are trying to support her family, who probably have suffered, like nobody would want to suffer, and it's a nice gesture, and memorial for her. Yes it has nothing to do with football, other than she was a Spurs fan, he is of course allowed an opinion, but for me it was, it didn't need saying, and for me it was a cold, showed no compassionate, and humanity. Sorry but that's my opinion, and feelings, I will not reply again, as this subject shouldn't end like all threads on here, with arguments. It seems a bit fruitless me replying given that you've said you won't reply again but I feel compelled to defend myself. The forum is there to air different views. It seems crass to compare this to a debate on Pearson In/Out but seeing as I lack humanity in your eyes, what have I got to lose? This place is here for people to disagree and challenge the status quo, as long as they do it in a respectful and dignified manner; which I know I did. As I said in my previous post, this is an incredibly tragic loss and when I read about it I did pause and reflect to think of her and her family. My opinion won't change the fact that this is going to happen. Nor will it change the fact that 10 of these will happen every week at some clubs in the next five years. My old man turned to me in the 48th on Saturday and asked who was warming up. He hadnt got a clue because he's not on social media. There will be people in the ground who haven't got any idea who or what they are clapping for and for me that devalues everything. I'm wary of posting my last thought given the initial reaction but I will anyway: often these campaigns are started by those who have nothing to do with the poor soul's family and that for me is wrong. It smacks of social media persona desperation and that is absolutely ridiculous.
st albans fox Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 I have some sympathy for the views of c man I was clapping for terry on Saturday but i was also wondering what was going through the players minds. The intensity of the game seemed to pause. they looked a bit confused. if I know about this tragic situation and begin to hear the minutes applause, I don't feel like playing, I want to clap. the applause for petrov and players like him who are still around won't affect what's happening on the pitch. cases like this could do. Perhaps some of the spurs players had met her? anyway, all those who are there will clap, I'm sure, but if something significant happens in the game, what then?
Babylon Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 Did you really have to post that, and not just keep it in your head. If you don't want to clap, keep it to yourself, and let the vast majority, if not all the crowd but you, clap for the little girl. Why should he have to keep it in his head? Ridiculous. Clearly there are many people that share the same view. As for being "cold, showed no compassionate, and humanity." you obviously missed the parts where he said it was tragic and his heart goes out to her and her family. He's spot on for me, fans die up and down the country every week. The new thing of clapping in this minute and that minute, where do you draw the line. Do we clap anyone who ever supported the club? We used to cope just fine for the last 120 years without needing to clap x or y person when they died. It's horrible, I wouldn't wish what happened to them on anybody. I've had friends and family suffer with it like most people have so my heart like C-Mans goes out to them and they have my sympathy 100%, but that doesn't change the fact I don't think a football ground is the place for it every week. It's not about 60 seconds clapping being a problem, or not wanting to show respect. It's about this being a growing trend that seems to happen every week, whereby social media seems to dictate who is and who isn't worthy of a round of applause. A life is a life no matter what the circumstances, I find it a bit troubling that x person is worthy and y person isn't.
Babylon Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 I can see C-Man's point but this is a 9 year old girl who's suffered for most of her life. Where people have died of natural causes, old age etc fair enough that's taking things a bit too far but if a minute's applause gives her family a bit of comfort and helps give her a happy send off, then putting your hands to gether for 60 seconds isn't too much effort is it? I'm damn sure if it was my daughter I'd feel a lot better knowing that a few thousand people had me in their thoughts. Perhaps you can chair the committee of who is and who isn't worthy of respect and peoples thoughts.
Burbage Fox Posted 18 March 2015 Posted 18 March 2015 I can see C-Man's point but this is a 9 year old girl who's suffered for most of her life. Where people have died of natural causes, old age etc fair enough that's taking things a bit too far but if a minute's applause gives her family a bit of comfort and helps give her a happy send off, then putting your hands to gether for 60 seconds isn't too much effort is it? I'm damn sure if it was my daughter I'd feel a lot better knowing that a few thousand people had me in their thoughts. totally agree perhaps the people who don't do not have kids.. I for one will and I hope it helps the family in some small way....
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.