Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 minute ago, Golden Fox said:

Massive news in the NFL today:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/04/26/nfl-bombshell-players-can-now-wear-guardian-caps-in-games/

Looks like we might be seeing guardian caps on the field this year. 

I love the aesthetics of the NFL, and the helmet is the most important part of that, so it would be a radical departure. 

But its such a brutal sport, anything to make it safer has to be applauded as a step forward. 

image.png.ee85c71d0f1c6efe366500925328f38f.png

I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of macho peer pressure means no-one actually wears them in a game.  Apparently the new helmets are as safe as these anyway.

4 minutes ago, Lineker's Lugs said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of macho peer pressure means no-one actually wears them in a game.  Apparently the new helmets are as safe as these anyway.

I'm not so sure. I think there has been a sea change over the last 10 years or so. Players like Andrew Luck (and Chris Borland who retired after 1 season with the 49ers) show players are more aware of the long term damage the game can cause and willing to act on it. I'm sure a lot of players will succumb to peer pressure, but I think there will be a few who wear them. 

Technology is improving all the time - I'm sure existing manufacturers will say their new helmets are as safe, but the theory that a softer outer shell absorbs more impact than a hard shell makes sense to me, to the players and the NFL. Will be interesting to watch how this develops.

On 27/04/2024 at 19:21, Lineker's Lugs said:

I think another reason why take-up will be small to non-existent is the same reason amateur male boxers lobbied to get rid of headguards - they make your head a bigger target. 

Even if they lessen the impact of blows to the head, that will be offset by the extra glancing blows you take just by wearing one.