Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

19 hours ago, bovril said:

I know the Americans like to intellectualise their sport but I am sorry, you don't need an incredible amount of intelligence to play defensive tackle. 

You don't need an enormous amount of intelligence for most positions.

It drives me absolutely insane listening to people overstate the complexity of American football every time a rugby player crosses codes or thinks of crossing codes. "There's so much to learn, its such a technical game, he'll never do it!" Most of the American kids didn't start playing til high school, didn't really thrive until college and then had to completely re-learn all their plays when they got to a pro team anyway. Its nonsense.

Wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, sure they might need to improvise a little bit to lose a defender but ultimately they're running completely pre-planned routes according to completely pre-called plays. They don't have to think at all, they just have to study and learn the plays they're meant to run. 

Don't get me wrong, these guys are elite athletes in a lot of different ways but a high level of sporting IQ is not mandatory. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Agreed on this.

Also thought the SF defence let off too much in OT and were not aggressive enough, too much room between the lines as the chiefs moved up. 

Thinking about it a couple of days after, I can't help but think the biggest thing that cost the Niners was injuries. Dre Greenlaw going off was a big deal - and it was LB positioning that helped the 2 Mahommes runs. But having both Samuel and Kittle carrying injuries when it got to OT can't be underestimated when Purdy was getting pressured and looking for options.

There were so many little things that added up (the punt fumble, the missed PAT, failure to complete the 3rd downs just before the 2 minute warning and in OT, those 2 Mahommes runs) - any of these could have changed the result - but the injuries were consistent and eroded some of the advantages we were seeing in the first half.

Still a bit sick about it now, knowing they should have won, but it will be a long time again before the chance comes around again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It drives me absolutely insane listening to people overstate the complexity of American football every time a rugby player crosses codes or thinks of crossing codes. "There's so much to learn, its such a technical game, he'll never do it!" Most of the American kids didn't start playing til high school, didn't really thrive until college and then had to completely re-learn all their plays when they got to a pro team anyway. Its nonsense.

Wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, sure they might need to improvise a little bit to lose a defender but ultimately they're running completely pre-planned routes according to completely pre-called plays. They don't have to think at all, they just have to study and learn the plays they're meant to run. 

Don't get me wrong, these guys are elite athletes in a lot of different ways but a high level of sporting IQ is not mandatory. 

On the one hand I find it absurd how much focus is on the QB when there are squads of like 50+. On the other hand it makes sense when I watch because it seems to combine physical ability with creativity and awareness at a much higher level than any other position. But as I said I haven't played the sport beyond a shambolic amateur level.

53 minutes ago, bovril said:

On the one hand I find it absurd how much focus is on the QB when there are squads of like 50+. On the other hand it makes sense when I watch because it seems to combine physical ability with creativity and awareness at a much higher level than any other position. But as I said I haven't played the sport beyond a shambolic amateur level.

Must admit when I watched the ‘Quarterback’ series on Netflix it gave me an even bigger appreciation of the role.

You’re the captain, leader, motivator, creator, and basically the lynchpin of everything.

I’m sure we’ll all agree that professional sportspeople in general are vastly overpaid but I watched that documentary and thought Mahomes was worth every penny of his salary considering the enormous value he adds to the team and the franchise.

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Must admit when I watched the ‘Quarterback’ series on Netflix it gave me an even bigger appreciation of the role.

You’re the captain, leader, motivator, creator, and basically the lynchpin of everything.

I’m sure we’ll all agree that professional sportspeople in general are vastly overpaid but I watched that documentary and thought Mahomes was worth every penny of his salary considering the enormous value he adds to the team and the franchise.

I think American footballers generally deserve every penny considering how lucrative the league is and how many of them will probably struggle to remember their kids' names by the age of 50.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Now, now... He hit two of the three longest FGs in superbowl history.

20 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Nonsense - i could list you a dozen things that were as costly as the missed PAT, even if he's made it, it would still have been a one score game, slightly harder, but then had they got it it wouldn't have even gone to OT.

Nonsense?!   lol   The moment that XP was underhit into Chenal’s hand -- my friends and I -- people who played this game and have been watching it for decades -- agreed that close, see-saw game could easily turn on that failure.  As indeed it did, to nobody’s surprise (except apparently yours).

It’s not really about 50 yard field goals.  Every kicker in the league has them in his locker, as do 100 available kickers who didn’t make an NFL roster.  It’s about who consistently makes pressure kicks. 

It’s early to say whether Moody can get out of his own head and stick in the NFL.  But after costing SF the Browns game and Super Bowl this year, and missing FGs in their first two playoff games, it’s NOT too early to say he looks nothing like that guy who’s consistent when the pressure is on.  Much less that rare kicker who’s worth the 99th pick.

I said earlier that losing greenlaw made all the difference for KC - i wasn't wrong.

Once Dre Greenlaw went down, Oren Burks filled in for him. Here’s how he did in coverage:
• 9 targets
• 9 catches allowed
• 1 touchdown
• 134.7 passer rating when targeted
• 32.1 PFF coverage grade

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Nonsense?!   lol   The moment that XP was underhit into Chenal’s hand -- my friends and I -- people who played this game and have been watching it for decades -- agreed that close, see-saw game could easily turn on that failure.  As indeed it did, to nobody’s surprise (except apparently yours).

It’s not really about 50 yard field goals.  Every kicker in the league has them in his locker, as do 100 available kickers who didn’t make an NFL roster.  It’s about who consistently makes pressure kicks. 

It’s early to say whether Moody can get out of his own head and stick in the NFL.  But after costing SF the Browns game and Super Bowl this year, and missing FGs in their first two playoff games, it’s NOT too early to say he looks nothing like that guy who’s consistent when the pressure is on.  Much less that rare kicker who’s worth the 99th pick.

OK, first of all, i have played so i'm not just clutching at shit.

The point i'm making is that even if he had made the XP it wouldn't have made much difference.  All it would have meant was that a FG wouldn't have tied the game, which would mean that KC would have been focussed on getting a TD instead -  which would not have been beyond mahomes ability - especially as they made it to 1st and 10 at the SF 11.  So, no it wasn't the key point in the game, KC just had a safety net to take it to extra time. 

It's nonsense to believe that that factor alone turned the game - the muffed punt was a far bigger turning point, as was the greenlaw injury.  Sure, it made it a bit easier for KC but there was still 1 offensive and two defensive drives after in which to change the game again, sadly, SF failed to get a TD or stop KC.

So, no the missed PAT didn't really make that much difference in the grand scale of things.  If it had been the difference between a one or two score game, fair enough, it would be huge, but that wasn't the case.

What was far more costly was failing to get a TD in OT when they had a 1st and 10 on KC's 15 - going for and missing the pass on 3rd and 4 was far more significant than the missed PAT - a TD instead of that FG would have swung the advantage massively in SF's favour.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MPH said:

Either  way, he hit that ball LOW.  That miss was all on him.he has to take the responsibility for it.

Fair enough, you'll understand that I haven't watched it again.

Notwithstanding it didn't cost the game as some are suggesting.

4 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Fair enough, you'll understand that I haven't watched it again.

Notwithstanding it didn't cost the game as some are suggesting.

it’s really tough to declare that. That kick goes over and it changes every play and  the momentum. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

OK, first of all, i have played so i'm not just clutching at shit.

The point i'm making is that even if he had made the XP it wouldn't have made much difference.  All it would have meant was that a FG wouldn't have tied the game, which would mean that KC would have been focussed on getting a TD instead -  which would not have been beyond mahomes ability - especially as they made it to 1st and 10 at the SF 11.  So, no it wasn't the key point in the game, KC just had a safety net to take it to extra time. 

It's nonsense to believe that that factor alone turned the game - the muffed punt was a far bigger turning point, as was the greenlaw injury.  Sure, it made it a bit easier for KC but there was still 1 offensive and two defensive drives after in which to change the game again, sadly, SF failed to get a TD or stop KC.

So, no the missed PAT didn't really make that much difference in the grand scale of things.  If it had been the difference between a one or two score game, fair enough, it would be huge, but that wasn't the case.

What was far more costly was failing to get a TD in OT when they had a 1st and 10 on KC's 15 - going for and missing the pass on 3rd and 4 was far more significant than the missed PAT - a TD instead of that FG would have swung the advantage massively in SF's favour.

Well said - I was going to make exactly these points! But probably not as eloquently! 

Edited by Golden Fox
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2024 at 01:17, MPH said:

it’s really tough to declare that. That kick goes over and it changes every play and  the momentum. 

But that's the nature of the game - there's no other sport where every action is like a micro butterfly effect - there is so much precision in every play, so much jeopardy on an unsuccessful moment  every play has the potential to flip a game - just look at detroit and their 4th down gambles.

I get that the point makes a difference, but it only really starts to have a significant impact if it's the difference between a 1 or 2 score game - and even then, look at the niners DC win over detroit  - 1 point in the scheme of things is a triviality.

On 14/02/2024 at 20:32, CheeseHead said:

Reports of shots fired and people hurt during the Chiefs' celebration parade

Shocking stuff. And reports say loads of children caught up in it as well. 

Sounds like it was just an argument that escalated, and when people carry guns to a celebration parade, this is what can happen. 

Don't like making political comments on a sports forum, but time to just start banning the f**king things. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 09:17, Finnegan said:

Like this. 

In terms of complexity within the sport, there’s a lot about the game that makes me cringe when I watch it, and always has, tackling has always been something that irritates me. How many tackles have been missed down the years, through what can only be described as idiocy? 

I mean there was a moment in a Seahawks game where someone went to tackle without using their arms…… he essentially did a diving header into the opposing player, missed and they eventually made enough yardage to lead to a touch down…… I mean, an average rugby player wouldn’t kiss half the tackles some of these guys miss. 

The game once you get your head around the concept isn’t overly complicated I’d say, there’s a lot of niche rules and regs, but overall it’s a relatively simple game, with a lot going on I’d say? Like you say, the majority of it is all pre-planned plays, which is shown up when a team is having a real bad day at the office. 

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Like this. 

In terms of complexity within the sport, there’s a lot about the game that makes me cringe when I watch it, and always has, tackling has always been something that irritates me. How many tackles have been missed down the years, through what can only be described as idiocy? 

I mean there was a moment in a Seahawks game where someone went to tackle without using their arms…… he essentially did a diving header into the opposing player, missed and they eventually made enough yardage to lead to a touch down…… I mean, an average rugby player wouldn’t kiss half the tackles some of these guys miss. 

The game once you get your head around the concept isn’t overly complicated I’d say, there’s a lot of niche rules and regs, but overall it’s a relatively simple game, with a lot going on I’d say? Like you say, the majority of it is all pre-planned plays, which is shown up when a team is having a real bad day at the office. 

So much of the post game analysis centres on coaching decisions, schemes, tactics. It's interesting but I feel like there comes a time when it tests the limits of what sport actually is. 

On 29/04/2017 at 14:16, bovril said:

Trubisky's quite a Chicago-esque pick. Big arm, Polish-sounding name. Mahomes to KC is the strange one, they're so close to getting to a SB and they pick a guy who probably won't even play for 2 years.

Called it :amartey:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, bovril said:

So much of the post game analysis centres on coaching decisions, schemes, tactics. It's interesting but I feel like there comes a time when it tests the limits of what sport actually is. 

It's basically chess with some extremely massive peak athletes. 

I don't really have a problem with that. People call ****ing darts a sport so yknow. 

• Haha 2

On 17/02/2024 at 15:00, bovril said:

But is it not that the use of helmets and pads has contributed to the sport becoming this violent? 

Hard to say - they've been wearing some form of pads an helmets for many years now.

Also, if you watch more of this version of the sport, it isn't really as violent as this video hints at - but it does go to show that it can work as sport without the protection and functions as a quite nice stop off between regular american football and rugby.