Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonny_180

Best place to park near the ground?

Hello there,

I will hopefully be coming along to a game at the King Power stadium soon and was wondering what the parking situation was like?

I read that you can park at the near by Rugby ground, is that a good idea?

I'm just thinking about ease of parking and how difficult it can be to get out after the game.

Is it easier to park in the city centre and just walk to the ground?

Many thanks

If you don't know the city well you can park in the centre or one of the side streets off Narborough Road. John Lewis car park in the centre is only £2.50 after 5pm. Council carpark on Newark Street is pretty cheap too but both involve a 20 minute walk to the ground.

I used to park off Aylestone road and it was a nightmare getting home afterwards. I tried parking on Shakespeare Street off Saffron lane and there are plenty of places to park along that road and other roads next to it. More importantly it doesnt take as long to get home if you go down Saffron Lane towards Soar Valley Way. I live in Glenfield and ive got home about 15 minutes quicker going Saffron Lane over going Aylestone Road or heading towards Town. They are both nightmare routes after the game.

Theres a car park thats charges £5 on Saffron Lane which i cant believe people use when literally the street next to it has plenty of places to park for free. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time so you're not struggling to find a space. Ive never had trouble parking there. Normal Saturday 3pm me and my brother would leave 12-12:30 and park on Shakespeare Street with no problems and go for a pint before the start of the game. Takes 10-15 mins to walk to the stadium.

If you are travelling to Leicester via M1 then after the game going Saffron Lane to Soar Valley Way is definately the way to go.

Go on the Freemans Meadow housing estate

50 yards further down the road than the rowing club which charges £8 or whatever,  its free, and its maybe 1/4 of a mile from the ground

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Parking off Saffron Lane looks like a winner especially if it means missing the bulk of the traffic on the way out.

You will still hit traffic but its steady moving. Whereas Aylestone Road is very much stop for a minute then move for about 5 seconds lol

Looking at the map again, once I get on the Soar Valley Way that will take me straight up to the M1 junction yeah?

It looks like a dual carriage way, so is that fairly free flowing after a game?

Yes once you hit Soar Valley Way the traffic breaks up nicely and is free flowing. Just be aware of the traffic lights along it as there are cameras. Its well sign posted for the M1/M69 just stick to the left and you cant miss it

Yes once you hit Soar Valley Way the traffic breaks up nicely and is free flowing. Just be aware of the traffic lights along it as there are cameras. Its well sign posted for the M1/M69 just stick to the left and you cant miss it

Yeah, don't chance the lights there. 1.3 seconds into the red and it's a fine and a half day course. I know this for a fact!

Gotta say I wouldn't like to live in Freeman's Meadow on a matchday that's for sure.

I wonder how strong the new Lidl car park patrols will be now there's one next to Code on Upperton Road. Probably strong, though the store doesn't open until the 30/4 so anyone going tonight may have some luck?

Gotta say I wouldn't like to live in Freeman's Meadow on a matchday that's for sure.

Go back 20 odd years and imagine living on Filbert Street or the surrounding areas, if you're non football it must've been awful.

I don't think they had many road restrictions or parking restrictions then either.

• 3 weeks later...

LCFC have said anyone going with Fox Travel tomorrow should park cars opposite the stadium on Raw dykes Road. Is that next to the Citroen garage? I's that free?

Yes past the Citroen garage then turn right, it's their car park and yes it's free. Can be a hell of a queue afterwards on the way out if the coaches all arrive back together, Burnley was a nightmare afterwards.

Yes past the Citroen garage then turn right, it's their car park and yes it's free. Can be a hell of a queue afterwards on the way out if the coaches all arrive back together, Burnley was a nightmare afterwards.

Thanks for the info, found it ok (except I must've been driving from the opposite direction as it was to the left before the Citroen garage!)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting a little tired of the road rage/chaos that seems to ensue on Freemans Common after every home game.

Coming in from Syston and looking for somewhere else, even though it would mean leaving the lucky car park I've used all season. :(

I always park on Saffron Lane but avoid the new housing development next to saffron lane stadium car park (avoid this car park too, no need to pay £5!) as they've just put a residents parking scheme in there, I got a £60 ticket the other week as did many others!

Getting a little tired of the road rage/chaos that seems to ensue on Freemans Common after every home game.

Coming in from Syston and looking for somewhere else, even though it would mean leaving the lucky car park I've used all season. :(

It's 3.60 for a return on the train from Syston. Maybe worth considering.

It's 3.60 for a return on the train from Syston. Maybe worth considering.

Take the train occasionally. Just the fact there's one an hour and since I've moved this season it's not so quick getting away to make the 5.25 on Saturday I need to get march on. Do they always put that late train on for midweek games?

Already park in one of the Freemans Common car parks, swear it's getting worse and people are less tolerant.

Have been told to try side streets further down Welford Rd, although I think there's talk of that becoming residents only.

You'd think with how underused the park and rides are they could sort something out. It's obvious the City council want as few people driving in, but the options aren't that great.

Archived