Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

Ade Akinbiyi working on his coaching skills

Interesting article about our Ade and his ambitions to become a successful coach/manager: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26946476

I saw quite a lot of Akinbiyi's games when he played for us, and it always seemed to me that he knew how to read a game well, and could get himself into really good scoring positions as a result. Of course, he lacked the necessary skills to convert the chances into goals.

It would be amazing if he turned out to be a good coach.

I hate this "lack of black managers" attitude. See it quite often. What do you want owners to do, keep the manager just because of his skin colour regardless of results on the pitch? 

It works both ways, surely people keep bringing this up is racist as well. 

What percentage of players were black when the current wave of managers in the Premier League started their career? I'm sure in 20 years time it'll be a lot more representative.

Fair point. I am more interested in whether Akinbiyi will make a decent manager, given what a god-awful striker he was.

Guest MattP

Really doesn't strike me as someone who will succeed in management.

Even some of the basics from the playground he hadn't picked up, things like keeping your head over the ball when shooting.

Football badly needs some decent black managers though, you can't keep throwing the racism card up if every single one keeps turning out to be shit.

This country is so backwards regarding racism it's unreal. Why does every single thing relating to a black player/manager doing something regarding coaching or management end up being another debate about their skin colour?

I've bitten. Big deal. I wouldn't get away with racism so I don't know why these high-horse taking do gooders (who are the actual racists) do.

What percentage of players were black when the current wave of managers in the Premier League started their career? I'm sure in 20 years time it'll be a lot more representative.

There were plenty of black players in 1994, as there was in 1984, it's not really an argument.

Who know what the real reason is, maybe less black players are going into coaching :dunno: ? I doubt if it's much to do with racism.

I think it's because black players are more likely to have had careers due to their physical characteristics. You've got players like Benjamin being touted as England prospects because of their physical fitness at a young age but lacking in technical ability.

I think to be a good coach the physical characteristics are much less important. It's probably more correct to say black people are over-represented as players than under-represented as coaches and managers.

I think it's because black players are more likely to have had careers due to their physical characteristics. You've got players like Benjamin being touted as England prospects because of their physical fitness at a young age but lacking in technical ability.

I think to be a good coach the physical characteristics are much less important. It's probably more correct to say black people are over-represented as players than under-represented as coaches and managers.

Oh dear.

Really doesn't strike me as someone who will succeed in management.

Even some of the basics from the playground he hadn't picked up, things like keeping your head over the ball when shooting.

Football badly needs some decent black managers though, you can't keep throwing the racism card up if every single one keeps turning out to be shit.

eh?

Chris-Powell-Charlton-Ath-007.jpg

Can't deny he was a good coach with us, and did well at Charlton until the owners started to pull the rug out from under him, selling any half-decent players they had.

I any imagine in this day and age a club at any level not choosing the best manager for the job regardless of race.

There are many factors that contribute to the lack of black managers, possibly a perceived racism due to media highlighting the fact there arnt any.

I have no doubt Chris Houghton and Chris Powell will get jobs again at championship level.

Premiership clubs tend to prefer a big italian or Spanish name rather than a British manager be they black or white.

Hopefully the success of Brendon Rodgers will change this train of thought.

Good luck to the guy! He was very honest about his time at Leicester, and I've got nothing against him. 

It will be interesting to see how he does though considering he struggled with the pressure here, Management is all about pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

Have your odds narrowed at all?

Not the Premiership admittedly, but 2nd tier in a major league in Europe

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27306106

I wouldn't say so. Still a very long way to go.

Ligue 2, according to statistics from Ligue1.com, has drawn an average attendance of 7,685.

http://www.ligue1.com/ligue2/affluences/journee

That's roughly the same (about 500 more I think) than League One attendances. Not quite a major league. It's also a pretty poor league in terms of standard.

For a woman to take the top managerial role at a Premiership club, it will take a long progression from League 1/2 standard, and it could well land on Costa's reign, as unfair as it is. If she fails, she'll fall hard unfortunately, so it'll count on her skills as to when women will get their chance in the English system.

Archived