Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lifted*fox

Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich coming up. How will they do?

Think it's unfair to write any of them off before they begin.

Norwich I am not pleased about being promoted. They are soooo unbelievably boring and bring nothing to the league. Would have loved Brentford to win the play offs.

Bournemouth away will make a good weekend which is all I can really say for them, I think they'll struggle but you don't win a championship when its that close all season through 'luck;

Watford if they can sort out their managerial situation will do OK, possibly just survive if they can get Deeney scoring. 

Or, Bournemouth's total of 90 point would have won them the Championship in 2012-13. And in 2011-12. And 2010-11. I grant you they would've struggled into 3rd place in 2009-10, what with Newcastle getting 102 points again. But we go back to 2008-9 they would've won it on GD from Wolves. 2007-8? Won that then. Also would win 2006-07. But fair enough, not 2005-6 or 2004-5. But in the last 10 years, 90 points wins you the Championship 6 times and gets you promoted  automatically 8 times. So I think you're off the mark to suggest or imply the top sides have somehow struggled(?) their way to promotion but having merely a okay to good(ish) season.

Our total and Burnley's total from last year are outside of the norm. Using that as a yardstick to performance in the Premier League is also neither here not there. As I said, 90 points wins you the Championship in 2012-13. Cardiff who did win it with 87 points were immediately relegated. Hull, who got 79 points in 2nd and stayed up the following season would drop into the Playoffs.

Same for 2011-12. 90 points wins you the league and pushes Reading (who went down the following year) into 2nd and Southampton (who stayed up) into 3rd. Therefore to suggest that because 3 points is a huge gap (which over the course of a 46 game season, 1 win is huge? Really?) that these teams may struggle because they couldn't match the points totals of the top 2 from last year seems a fairly baffling thought process to me.

Is your user name because you will bite at anything?

I am not looking at other seasons I am directly comparing Bournemouth and Watford to Burnley, because Burnley finished second with more points than Bournemouth and Watford, Burnley had a more convincing season than Bournemouth or Watford, Burnley looked and played more like a credible premier league side than Bournemouth and Watford.

Burnley got comfortably relegated.

At the moment Watford and Bournemouth are worse than Burnley, they need to improve to become as good as Burnley, then they need to improve further to become better than Burnley, then they will need to improve further still to not get relegated.

Norwich are different, they have recent PL experience, including 1 very successful season, they will not fear/be overawed by playing teams like Stoke, Newcastle, Villa, West Brom, they will know what they need and what the pitfalls to avoid in the transfer market, they will be much better prepared.

Is your user name because you will bite at anything?

I am not looking at other seasons I am directly comparing Bournemouth and Watford to Burnley, because Burnley finished second with more points than Bournemouth and Watford, Burnley had a more convincing season than Bournemouth or Watford, Burnley looked and played more like a credible premier league side than Bournemouth and Watford.

Burnley got comfortably relegated.

At the moment Watford and Bournemouth are worse than Burnley, they need to improve to become as good as Burnley, then they need to improve further to become better than Burnley, then they will need to improve further still to not get relegated.

Norwich are different, they have recent PL experience, including 1 very successful season, they will not fear/be overawed by playing teams like Stoke, Newcastle, Villa, West Brom, they will know what they need and what the pitfalls to avoid in the transfer market, they will be much better prepared.

Not entirely sure what or how my username is relevant to anything, but if you feel the need to use it to have a sly dig, then feel free, knock yourself out.

As for the bit in bold. You can't have it both ways. You are comparing a performance of teams from this season in the Championship, with the performance of Burnley from last season in the Championship as a reason to judge them as not being very good and not up to standard - because they didn't get as many points as a team got in the previous year. However, you are saying that you CAN'T compare them to teams to any other season before that and how many points they got and how that shows it has very little impact to what sort of team you will be in the Premier League... because... well... I don't know? It doesn't back up your argument so you're going to ignore it?

Edit - As an aside, if I didn't make it clear to start with, I don't think you can judge teams based on a comparison of what the league looked like last year. Case in point - Do you think it is a sensible prediction to say that Man U will really struggle in the Champions League this year because they finished with 9 points less than Arsenal (which if 3 points is huge, I don't know what that makes 9 points) did last year and Arsenal fell apart in the Champions League in the 2nd round?

Because if you do, then I guess I'm never going to understand your logic. But if you don't, then I'm baffled by your thinking of using last season as a comparison to how a different team is going to do next season with regards to Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley. 

But if you are going to do it, then why exactly are you not going to look at other seasons. Don't see how they'll tell you any more or less than last season.

Not entirely sure what or how my username is relevant to anything, but if you feel the need to use it to have a sly dig, then feel free, knock yourself out.

As for the bit in bold. You can't have it both ways. You are comparing a performance of teams from this season in the Championship, with the performance of Burnley from last season in the Championship as a reason to judge them as not being very good and not up to standard - because they didn't get as many points as a team got in the previous year. However, you are saying that you CAN'T compare them to teams to any other season before that and how many points they got and how that shows it has very little impact to what sort of team you will be in the Premier League... because... well... I don't know? It doesn't back up your argument so you're going to ignore it?

Edit - As an aside, if I didn't make it clear to start with, I don't think you can judge teams based on a comparison of what the league looked like last year. Case in point - Do you think it is a sensible prediction to say that Man U will really struggle in the Champions League this year because they finished with 9 points less than Arsenal (which if 3 points is huge, I don't know what that makes 9 points) did last year and Arsenal fell apart in the Champions League in the 2nd round?

Because if you do, then I guess I'm never going to understand your logic. But if you don't, then I'm baffled by your thinking of using last season as a comparison to how a different team is going to do next season with regards to Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley.

But if you are going to do it, then why exactly are you not going to look at other seasons. Don't see how they'll tell you any more or less than last season.

Let's go back to my original point.

I have said they will struggle I gave reasons for that do you disagree with them?

As an indication of how much they will struggle I compared them to Burnley a similar sized club with a similar sized fan base and stadium to Watford and Bournemouth and a similar amount of PL experience. Do you think that is an unfair comparison?

I made the point that they didn't have as good a season as Burnley inferring that they were not as good as Burnley, as an indication of how tough they will have it next season. Seeing as they have made no signings I can only use this season to evaluate them. Do you disagree and think it will be easy for them?

Finally I exaggerated how much better Burnley had been for effect to see if anyone would bite, and Lord Nibblington had a nibble.

So if you find what I said so hard to fathom why not give your opinion on how you think they will do and why.

I made the point that they didn't have as good a season as Burnley inferring that they were not as good as Burnley, as an indication of how tough they will have it next season. Seeing as they have made no signings I can only use this season to evaluate them. Do you disagree and think it will be easy for them?

Implying

I didn't watch any Championship games last season, so I predict all 3 of them are going straight back down. :)

That seems to be what most the cruddy media guys who report on the Premier League do anyway. They've come from the Championship so they must be shite...

Let's go back to my original point.

I have said they will struggle I gave reasons for that do you disagree with them?

As an indication of how much they will struggle I compared them to Burnley a similar sized club with a similar sized fan base and stadium to Watford and Bournemouth and a similar amount of PL experience. Do you think that is an unfair comparison?

Finally I exaggerated how much better Burnley had been for effect to see if anyone would bite, and Lord Nibblington had a nibble.

So if you find what I said so hard to fathom why not give your opinion on how you think they will do and why.

I think it's difficult to ever compare teams really, they're not inheriting the Burnley squad as they come up and we're not sure how they'll perform as a team.

Not saying I don't disagree with you, by club standard I would go as far to say Bournemouth are smaller club than Burnley, who have been bouncing round the top leagues over the last 10 seasons, and have been there before in their history plus an FA Cup win, whilst this is Bournemouth's Top Division debut. By most measurements, or would be hard to see them staying up.

But then when you look at the context as well, the owner has a fair bit of $$$, and even if he doesn't have as much as others, the money coming in in future seasons is enough for anyone to dip their hands in their pockets. Perhaps most crucially they have Howe, an excellent manager. On top of that he's also shown his capability, the Burnley team that went down in the end with a fair fight was mostly Howe's doing, whereas Dyche failed to bring in any quality worth mentioning. If Howe has the financial backing, brings in the right players for the right price and continues his great managerial style there's no way Bournemouth couldn't launch a successful survival bid for at least a year or two, at least that's the way I see it.

How can anyone make relegation predictions when the summer's transfer dealing and new managers etc haven't even begun? Right now, you may feel Newcastle and West Ham would be in trouble next season, but they may well have new managers and new players by August.

Personally, I don't like tinpot clubs like Bournemouth in the Premiership. Sooner Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday/United or Wolves. Proper big clubs.

How can anyone make relegation predictions when the summer's transfer dealing and new managers etc haven't even begun? Right now, you may feel Newcastle and West Ham would be in trouble next season, but they may well have new managers and new players by August.

Personally, I don't like tinpot clubs like Bournemouth in the Premiership. Sooner Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday/United or Wolves. Proper big clubs.

Those 'proper big clubs' were all shite last year. Sheffield United are in League One and Wednesday and Leeds look closer to League One and Wolves are the only ones looking like challenging for the Premier League.

These clubs got here on merit, don't bring back the stupid club size argument and equally embarrassing 'tinpot' phrase, we're not exactly Barcelona ourselves.

Other than that I agree with your sentiment that it's two early. I'd say Watford are in a bit of a mess too.

I'd watch Leicester regardless of who we're playing as long as we win.

Exactly. It was surprising to me how much I wasn't bothered about the opposition. Some of my mate's would say things like 'it's great to see players like Hazard and Sanchez play' but I'd be more excited about Vardy and Cambiasso

Exactly. It was surprising to me how much I wasn't bothered about the opposition. Some of my mate's would say things like 'it's great to see players like Hazard and Sanchez play' but I'd be more excited about Vardy and Cambiasso

Never quite understood that tbh, not really a fan of watching Sanchez or Hazard pull us apart tbh, much rather watch Vardy tap it in from a yard out to win in the last minute tbh lol

I have to say I agree with that point. I look forward more to a game against Hull or Stoke with a chance of winning than a probable defeat like Chelsea or Man City.

I have to say I agree with that point. I look forward more to a game against Hull or Stoke with a chance of winning than a probable defeat like Chelsea or Man City.

I really thought we'd do Chelsea-turns out we were a game or two early for them to have switched off, and they actually played out of their skins second half...

Watford for me will be the ones to struggle most especially now they need a new manager.Bournemouth I can see being another Blackpool and surprise a few with there style and the small capacity ground will proberbly help them rather than hinder they where by far and away the best footballing side in the championship last yr.

Norwich have the experience and are proberbly best equipped to stay up but they need to strengthen in a lot of areas so will need to splash Delia's cash.

Would really like Bournemouth To stay up not bothered about Watford or Norwich but I think as happened with the promoted teams last year all 3 teams will be in the relegation fight come season end.

I think it's difficult to ever compare teams really, they're not inheriting the Burnley squad as they come up and we're not sure how they'll perform as a team.

Not saying I don't disagree with you, by club standard I would go as far to say Bournemouth are smaller club than Burnley, who have been bouncing round the top leagues over the last 10 seasons, and have been there before in their history plus an FA Cup win, whilst this is Bournemouth's Top Division debut. By most measurements, or would be hard to see them staying up.

But then when you look at the context as well, the owner has a fair bit of $$$, and even if he doesn't have as much as others, the money coming in in future seasons is enough for anyone to dip their hands in their pockets. Perhaps most crucially they have Howe, an excellent manager. On top of that he's also shown his capability, the Burnley team that went down in the end with a fair fight was mostly Howe's doing, whereas Dyche failed to bring in any quality worth mentioning. If Howe has the financial backing, brings in the right players for the right price and continues his great managerial style there's no way Bournemouth couldn't launch a successful survival bid for at least a year or two, at least that's the way I see it.

I'm not saying Bournemouth or Watford will break Derby's record or anything, I am just making the comparison with Burnley, which puts Burnley as better off this time last year than Bournemouth and thus the better team. If you ask me right now then I think Bournemouth will get relegated, but what they do in the transfer market will be massive. They will need players with the experience to have the impact that Cambiasso, Huth and Albrighton did, it is not necessarily the quality they bring but the experience.

Howe could be a genius but that doesn't mean they won't struggle, they will have the same problems we had in the transfer market, and Burnley, they will have to start dealing with huge amounts of money and wage demands that could destabilise the club. Every agent will have dollar signs in their eyes and will take everything they can get.

Archived