Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lifted*fox

Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich coming up. How will they do?

Interesting that everyone is writing Bournemouth off, and saying the other two have a good chance. Seemingly because they have been in the Premier League fairly recently. Weren't we all getting a bit pissed off last year when everyone seemed to think QPR were the only ones who would stay up, despite finishing behind us and Burnley?

Granted, we destroyed the league, and looked a better side than Bournemouth have this year. The point still stands though: Bournemouth finished above 23 other teams, including Norwich and Watford. There aren't many reasons to suggest this early on that they're less likely to stay up than Watford and Norwich.

Interesting that everyone is writing Bournemouth off, and saying the other two have a good chance. Seemingly because they have been in the Premier League fairly recently. Weren't we all getting a bit pissed off last year when everyone seemed to think QPR were the only ones who would stay up, despite finishing behind us and Burnley?

Granted, we destroyed the league, and looked a better side than Bournemouth have this year. The point still stands though: Bournemouth finished above 23 other teams, including Norwich and Watford. There aren't many reasons to suggest this early on that they're less likely to stay up than Watford and Norwich.

Do you think they will stay up?

All 3 promoted teams have struggled this season, 2 were relegated and it took something miraculous to stop it being all 3, the other relegated side had been promoted only the season before, the other 2 teams promoted that season? Cardiff went immediately, Palace looked doomed until they got rid of Holloway.

There is the possibility they do a Swansea or a Southampton, but they are the exception rather than the rule, the most likely outcome is relegation, which is why they will be odds on favourites to go down, it is not being mean or nasty it is just how it is, the difference in quality between the PL and Champ is significant and the gap is getting ever bigger as the money increases for the prem.

They will probably be better off doing a Burnley not over spending, giving it everything and if they go down use the money to invest in infrastructure to mount another challenge on the Prem.

All 3 promoted teams have struggled this season, 2 were relegated and it took something miraculous to stop it being all 3, the other relegated side had been promoted only the season before, the other 2 teams promoted that season? Cardiff went immediately, Palace looked doomed until they got rid of Holloway.

There is the possibility they do a Swansea or a Southampton, but they are the exception rather than the rule, the most likely outcome is relegation, which is why they will be odds on favourites to go down, it is not being mean or nasty it is just how it is, the difference in quality between the PL and Champ is significant and the gap is getting ever bigger as the money increases for the prem.

They will probably be better off doing a Burnley not over spending, giving it everything and if they go down use the money to invest in infrastructure to mount another challenge on the Prem.

Believe it or not, by at least one measure, the team that did "a Swansea or Southampton" was us.  In the last 10 years or so only 3 newly promoted teams have finished with goal difference better than -10: Swansea, Newcastle, and... Leicester City.  Most finish with -20 or worse.

As for the 3 promoted teams, I think they will all finish with less than 40 points, and whether they will go down will depend on which teams above them manage to tank it.  I think Watford and Bournemouth have a greater change of relegation than Norwich.

There is the possibility they do a Swansea or a Southampton, but they are the exception rather than the rule, the most likely outcome is relegation, which is why they will be odds on favourites to go down, it is not being mean or nasty it is just how it is, the difference in quality between the PL and Champ is significant and the gap is getting ever bigger as the money increases for the prem.

Honestly? Yes I do.

As someone said, they will do better than pundits think, but as well as their fans think.

The point was that until we see any significant transfer activity, Bournemouth should be viewed as most likely to stay up out of the three.

Do you think Burnley will come straight back up?

I'm a Bournemouth supporter and season ticket holder so interesting to see the comments on this thread. Many of us are pinching ourselves that we are in the Premier League and we are approaching next season with a mixture of excitement and aprehension. We can't believe that in the 2008/9 season we started with a 17 point deduction for being declared insolvent for the 2nd time in as many years. I remember the bucket coming round and chucking some dosh in. To think we have climbed through the Leagues to get to this position is mindblowing.

Our ground barely holds 12,000. Up until last season it was only 3 sided. A basically temporary stand was hastily built at the open end - it is so modern it was built with support stanchions ! To be in the Premier League a lot of work has to be done on the ground. The floodlights have to be upgraded; all the press seats have to be moved to the changing room side of the ground; a separate players entrance has to be made; under soil heating is being put in etc etc A decision has been made not to enlarge the ground at present.

Everybody thinks because we've recently got a Russian owner all our financial problems will be solved. But he's no Abramovich and is not splashing the cash by any means.

Congratulations to the Foxes  for your unbelievable finish to the season to stay up. I just hope our team can do the same.  I know its going to be a fantastic experience whatever happens. I look forward to welcoming your team to Dean Court - The Goldsands Stadium.

Witg Bournemouth I can see it all depending on their home form. I know that sounds obvious but look at how many upsets happen in cup games. Any player, should be up for an away game against one of the top sides but a cold winters mid week game at Bournemouth?? Not sure a lot of foreign players in particular will be up for that.

It's likely they will all struggle going on past evidence. However sometimes there is a surprise. I wouldn't discount that, but it depends on transfer dealings and approach.

There are likely to be around 6 clubs again in the mix for relegation. We will do very well not to be one of them. If Cambiasso departs I will be concerned as I think his professionalism and calm approach would help any new signings bed in and settle. Without him I fear a mid table finish will be difficult to achieve.

I'm a Bournemouth supporter and season ticket holder so interesting to see the comments on this thread. Many of us are pinching ourselves that we are in the Premier League and we are approaching next season with a mixture of excitement and aprehension. We can't believe that in the 2008/9 season we started with a 17 point deduction for being declared insolvent for the 2nd time in as many years. I remember the bucket coming round and chucking some dosh in. To think we have climbed through the Leagues to get to this position is mindblowing.

Our ground barely holds 12,000. Up until last season it was only 3 sided. A basically temporary stand was hastily built at the open end - it is so modern it was built with support stanchions ! To be in the Premier League a lot of work has to be done on the ground. The floodlights have to be upgraded; all the press seats have to be moved to the changing room side of the ground; a separate players entrance has to be made; under soil heating is being put in etc etc A decision has been made not to enlarge the ground at present.

Everybody thinks because we've recently got a Russian owner all our financial problems will be solved. But he's no Abramovich and is not splashing the cash by any means.

Congratulations to the Foxes  for your unbelievable finish to the season to stay up. I just hope our team can do the same.  I know its going to be a fantastic experience whatever happens. I look forward to welcoming your team to Dean Court - The Goldsands Stadium.

Welcome and good luck.  Gonna be tough for you but enjoy it and always remain positive - remember even when you are getting a proper beating off one of the top teams - you are little Bournemouth and you are in the Premier League!  Well done for last season.  Enjoy it.  Federici a good signing imo.

Can see Bournemouth staying up thanks to Eddie Howe. They've got a good spine at the club and think with a few solid additions they could well get themselves safe.

Norwich have Premier League experience in the side but I think will go back down.

Watford could go either way. Depends what investment they get and how quickly they settle their management situation.

For all 3 sides it very much hangs on what business takes place this summer.  All speculation at this stage is incredibly premature.

I will say though that Bournemouth are the team I'm looking forward to seeing the most:  By all accounts they seem to be the team with the most togetherness of the promoted clubs, much like us last year, and as City fans we've all seen over the past few years just how important it is to have the right attitude in football.  Can't wait to see who they add and how they start the season.

Witg Bournemouth I can see it all depending on their home form. I know that sounds obvious but look at how many upsets happen in cup games. Any player, should be up for an away game against one of the top sides but a cold winters mid week game at Bournemouth?? Not sure a lot of foreign players in particular will be up for that.

The pitch can be a factor too. Not great in the winter and looks small (maybe wrong) this can help playing deep against top aides. I certainly think Bournemouth will have a run of good form and its if they can keep that going.

Watford may have a big problem with the lack of continuity in their manager. Players may already be getting doubts at another change. Certain transfer targets may refuse when they consider how long is this manager going to be here.

Norwich - need a better defence, get that I think they can stay up. Will battle all day. Strikers will get five goals each spread between four.

Bournemouth might be bullied away from home, at home I fancy them to do quite well. Norwich will be better than last time, Hughton was hideously negative, Neil is far more aggressive and attacking, similar to Lambert when he was there.

No idea about Watford given the instability that surrounds the place.

Honestly? Yes I do.

As someone said, they will do better than pundits think, but as well as their fans think.

The point was that until we see any significant transfer activity, Bournemouth should be viewed as most likely to stay up out of the three.

Do you think Burnley will come straight back up?

Fair enough, I think the Burnley side that got relegated, or even the Burnley side that got promoted would come back up, but seeing as Ings is going for free and players like Arfield, Trippier, Mee will feel like they have gone as far as they can with Burnley and will be open to offers I can their side getting decimated and a big rebuilding job needed.

How many of those signed by Howe would be interested in going to Bournemouth?

As with Bournemouth you can't judge properly until after the transfer window shuts and they have played a couple of games with their new signings, but if Burnley line up with Sordell and Jukewitz leading their attack then they won't be going anywhere next season.

Fair enough, I think the Burnley side that got relegated, or even the Burnley side that got promoted would come back up, but seeing as Ings is going for free and players like Arfield, Trippier, Mee will feel like they have gone as far as they can with Burnley and will be open to offers I can their side getting decimated and a big rebuilding job needed.

How many of those signed by Howe would be interested in going to Bournemouth?

As with Bournemouth you can't judge properly until after the transfer window shuts and they have played a couple of games with their new signings, but if Burnley line up with Sordell and Jukewitz leading their attack then they won't be going anywhere next season.

Agreed with regards to Burnley. You could argue Dyche will have a similar role to Pearson in the coming weeks, in that the best bit of business available will be to keep certain players, rather than sign new ones.

Those who were signed by Howe would certainly choose Bournemouth over Watford or Norwich, but I can't see it being many of their first choices. It could play into Bournemouth's (and Norwich's to an extent) favour that Watford, Newcastle, and now Sunderland are managerless. They will largely be all looking for the same sort of player, and if Howe gets in first, it'll be hard for the rest to catch up.

...if Burnley line up with Sordell and Jukewitz leading their attack...

Christ. Can you imagine? Takes me back to the dark days and the dross we had to play up front – the lot that made Iain Hume and Matty Fryatt look like gods. Mark de Vries, Geoff Horsfield, Elvis Hammond, Levi Porter, Danny Cadamarteri, DJ Campbell...

The sad truth was that we – well, some – thought Hume and Fryatt were good enough to take us to the Prem if they had the support. They were decent in the second tier, don't get me wrong, but on a par with Jutkiewicz and Sordell. 

Norwich will stay up - really rate their manager. Bournemouth and Watford will make a better fist of it than QPR and Burnley (as they look as though they will score now and again) but I expect both to be 50/50 dependent on how Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle and ourselves perform.

Definitely no fodder - we'll have to be better next season and I am sure we will be.

I suspect the Championship was a little weaker in the season just gone, at the top end certainly, but so was the middle of the Premier League. I fully expect next season to be a lot tougher, because some traditionally 'big' teams could strengthen significantly. Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool, Everton, Sunderland all have the money to finish 10 points better off, leaving us, West Ham, West Brom, Palace and the three promoted sides to scrap it out. One or two of us will pull clear fairly early, and if they don't strengthen Villa, Swansea and Sunderland could all get sucked in.

It's no disrespect to the promoted sides to put them in the relegation mix-it takes time to be reliably safe, and I wish Bournemouth in particular luck staying up (as long as it's not at our expense...)

I suspect the Championship was a little weaker in the season just gone, at the top end certainly, but so was the middle of the Premier League. I fully expect next season to be a lot tougher, because some traditionally 'big' teams could strengthen significantly. Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool, Everton, Sunderland all have the money to finish 10 points better off, leaving us, West Ham, West Brom, Palace and the three promoted sides to scrap it out. One or two of us will pull clear fairly early, and if they don't strengthen Villa, Swansea and Sunderland could all get sucked in.

It's no disrespect to the promoted sides to put them in the relegation mix-it takes time to be reliably safe, and I wish Bournemouth in particular luck staying up (as long as it's not at our expense...)

Every club has the money to strengthen, we have earned £70 million for not getting relegated and so has everyone else, the difference will be who can attract the right targets.

We will do better than last season in the transfer market as we have raised our profile massively with our great escape and the way we finished the season and the fact we finished 14th and not scrambling for safety on the last day. I do think that the type of players we want to attract will look at the stability in the club, second longest serving manager in the PL (after Wenger) and see it as a club that knows what it is doing and knows where it is going. If I was a player I wouldn't even think about joining Newcastle, West Ham or Sunderland, and those that did would probably be doing so for the money, so not the sort of player we want here.

Archived