Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

Acceptable by whom? The white populace. blacks and browns, were and always have been disgusted by the type of language you deemed acceptable as a youth. The fact that you bring it up as a case for using such language, rather then being disgusted by the stuff that was spouted, shows the type of person you are.

Acceptable by whom? The white populace. blacks and browns, were and always have been disgusted by the type of language you deemed acceptable as a youth. The fact that you bring it up as a case for using such language, rather then being disgusted by the stuff that was spouted, shows the type of person you are.

You have to make little allowances , after all these old white Brits made plenty for immigrant stock like us

Different times

http://youtu.be/HB1XzdwjaLo

What I find ironic is the political correctness of all this. The man behaves badly, but no worse than many others but because he is a footballer it is somehow different. His behaviour is perfectly normal, not nice but normal.

It is not just young people either older folk are just as bad. The basic reaction to anything not to their liking is foul mouthed abuse, it's the way it is.

I don't know what it's like where you live (Marbella?) but I wouldn't consider Vardy's behaviour to be "normal" in the slightest and don't agree with your assertion that everybody is like that at all.

Seeing as no one will agree whether 'jap' in itself is offensive, I've a genuine question for those who don't think it is.

(Presuming for the sake of argument you're white)

If I called you white, you'd not consider that offensive or racist.

If I called you a white ****, would you consider that racist?

My point is, it doesn't really matter if a word in itself is offensive or racist, as it's the context of which its used that makes it so. The way Vardy used the words, makes it racist. 

Comically, Phil Thompson reworded Okazaki's name as 'Hockey sack he' on the sky Saturday show.

Shocking racism!!

I heard this, and listened to him pre-game dismiss our chances of anything but a relegation season because 'no cambiasso, Ranieri lost to faroe islands.'

Hockey-sake is ignorant no matter what you say, Okazaki is not difficult to pronounce, nor is it difficult to read because it's pretty eye catching, Ben-eh's is different.

Seeing as no one will agree whether 'jap' in itself is offensive, I've a genuine question for those who don't think it is.

My point is, it doesn't really matter if a word in itself is offensive or racist, as it's the context of which its used that makes it so. The way Vardy used the words, makes it racist. 

Yes I would. I'm not white i'm pink.

Seen so many people that were really pro get these racists out of my club when the Thailand trio story came out change their tune so drastically.

saying slit eye whilst telling someone to eat your shit is quite different to saying oy jap to someone trying to look at your cards. there are degrees

of racism you know.

Seen so many people that were really pro get these racists out of my club when the Thailand trio story came out change their tune so drastically.

Let's be honest, the quality of the player affects the situation. If you are barely making the team, you are expendable. If you are one of the best players on the team you get a little more leeway. It's not right, but that's just how it is. 

For the people who think "Jap" is just a shortened phrase for Japanese:  It happened the same way a lot of racial slurs start out, it wasn't racist until a bunch of racists used it that way. During the height of WW2 in America, there were a lot of resentment and hate towards all Japanese people.The issue was that a lot of Americans did not distinguish between the Japanese military that bombed us at Pearl Harbor, and the ethnically Japanese people living in America.  So calling someone in the US a "Jap" was basically saying that they were no different than the enemy. 

I'm guessing because British people do not share the same history of racism against Japanese people, it is less taboo to shorten Japanese to "Jap." The debate we all find ourselves in for this issue is: is it acceptable to use a word that is a racial slur in another place where it might not mean the same thing.

My thought on the issue would be, why take that chance? Why use a word people could misinterpret as racist and instead use another word? Why even single someone out on the basis of their race or ethnicity? Vardy could just as easily gotten his point across by saying "Walk on mate" or something like that. Fine him, sit him a game (and let Kramaric play), and let's be done with it. Vardy's apologized, and I think we all need to just move on.

I was just a small child, and young teenager, no different from any other.

You also are completely missing the point, by accident or design, that this was way life was. 

For example, take Kiwi shoe polish. The colour of brown I uses was called, on the tin, "Nigger Brown" My fault? I don't think so.

The word "Wog" for instance was old RAF slang, and used to refer to describe people from the Far East. It was short for "Westernised Oriental Gentleman", and was never a racial reference, in any sense or form. 

There are so many people, and you appear to be one, who just cannot perceive the way life was in the fifties and. sixties. Your ignorance is by no means your fault, but don't blame me for the way things were half a century ago.

saying slit eye whilst telling someone to eat your shit is quite different to saying oy jap to someone trying to look at your cards. there are degrees

of racism you know.

So being a tiny bit racist makes it ok?

Personally, I think it's a storm in a teacup and see not a great deal wrong with it its just those that made a big deal out of the Thai episode.

Let's be honest, the quality of the player affects the situation. If you are barely making the team, you are expendable. If you are one of the best players on the team you get a little more leeway. It's not right, but that's just how it is.

For the people who think "Jap" is just a shortened phrase for Japanese: It happened the same way a lot of racial slurs start out, it wasn't racist until a bunch of racists used it that way. During the height of WW2 in America, there were a lot of resentment and hate towards all Japanese people.The issue was that a lot of Americans did not distinguish between the Japanese military that bombed us at Pearl Harbor, and the ethnically Japanese people living in America. So calling someone in the US a "Jap" was basically saying that they were no different than the enemy.

I'm guessing because British people do not share the same history of racism against Japanese people, it is less taboo to shorten Japanese to "Jap." The debate we all find ourselves in for this issue is: is it acceptable to use a word that is a racial slur in another place where it might not mean the same thing.

My thought on the issue would be, why take that chance? Why use a word people could misinterpret as racist and instead use another word? Why even single someone out on the basis of their race or ethnicity? Vardy could just as easily gotten his point across by saying "Walk on mate" or something like that. Fine him, sit him a game (and let Kramaric play), and let's be done with it. Vardy's apologized, and I think we all need to just move on.

Not here for a history lesson, I will openly admit I didn't really see the word jap as a derogatory term, but I'm telling you now if that was for example Jak McCourt in Vardy's situation everyone would be in their holier than thou gowns wanting him sacked. And that's what makes people hypocrites.

Not here for a history lesson, I will openly admit I didn't really see the word jap as a derogatory term, but I'm telling you now if that was for example Jak McCourt in Vardy's situation everyone would be in their holier than thou gowns wanting him sacked. And that's what makes people hypocrites.

Yeah I basically said that in the first sentence: "Let's be honest, the quality of the player affects the situation. If you are barely making the team, you are expendable. If you are one of the best players on the team you get a little more leeway. It's not right, but that's just how it is. "

Sorry I bored you with some perspective.

I agree but then again I dont agree. lol

Yeah I basically said that in the first sentence: "Let's be honest, the quality of the player affects the situation. If you are barely making the team, you are expendable. If you are one of the best players on the team you get a little more leeway. It's not right, but that's just how it is. "

Sorry I bored you with some perspective.

You were spot on.

I agree but then again I dont agree. lol

It's hard for me to get across that I don't think he's been racist without me sounding like he has. More my point was, I've seen a lot of people saying it was racist and said the same for the Thai trio, but they don't want vardy out of the club but they did the Thai trio?

But he didn't call him a **** like your example, if he had I'm not sure there would even be this debate. You seem to be suggesting that it's ok to call someone a Jap, but not say oi Jap, walk on. Someone being angry when they say them doesn't make words racist either.

Anyway it's been done to death now, it's clear by this thread alone many people in the UK are unaware of how derogatory it's seen by some people. Which is understandable when it's rarely used with negative connotations and we have things like Japfest.  I actually googled that and there were forums with Americans completely aghast that we had such a thing over here. Where those from the UK on the forum tried to explain is was actually a show celebrating Japanese cars. It shows how differently it's viewed.

But he didn't call him a **** like your example, if he had I'm not sure there would even be this debate. You seem to be suggesting that it's ok to call someone a Jap, but not say oi Jap, walk on. Someone being angry when they say them doesn't make words racist either.

Anyway it's been done to death now, it's clear by this thread alone many people in the UK are unaware of how derogatory it's seen by some people. Which is understandable when it's rarely used with negative connotations and we have things like Japfest.  I actually googled that and there were forums with Americans completely aghast that we had such a thing over here. Where those from the UK on the forum tried to explain is was actually a show celebrating Japanese cars. It shows how differently it's viewed.

I was trying to simplify the argument. 

I don't think it is acceptable to call someone 'jap', but was explaining that even if you did, using the word in a negative context still makes it racist. 

I was trying to simplify the argument. 

I don't think it is acceptable to call someone 'jap', but was explaining that even if you did, using the word in a negative context still makes it racist. 

Which is why I'm sure this is hotly debated, because saying "Oi, walk on" isn't particularly negative in many peoples eyes, even if the person is angry. "You f'ing Jap", "You stupid Jap", "**** off you Jap", "You ugly Jap" etc etc etc. I doubt there would even be a doubt. Anyway, there a 100 different angles to this and it's nigh on impossible to cover them all,. He's said sorry so we'll see what happens.

Archived