Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

I remember the sun's banner headline SACK THE SWEDE referring to Erikson as England manager.  

fvcking hypocrites.  

Let's have a Merseyside style sun boycott.

Do you realise that Swede means a person from Sweden as well as a vegetable?

The percentage of people on here who wanted young Pearson and co sacked a few weeks ago was extremely high.

In fact, two of the three never made a racist comment.

Amazing when it is a bigger asset people's views suddenly change.

Not so keen to hang this one out to dry I see.

I think it's more the context of the video, the sheer stupidity and the fact that "slit-eye" is clearly an insult. What Jamie did was foolish, but I'd hazard a guess that it was out of ignorance (not realising it was an offensive term) and he has immediately apologised

In his defense, did we not have a discussion on another thread where many people were unaware that "chink" or "chinky" were now considered offensive? Personally I try not to use any abbreviated terms like this for fear of them being taken the wrong way, but for some reason it does appear to be quite a widespread thing that not everyone is aware using these particular terms is not really acceptable any more

Not excusing Vardy, he'll learn from it, but I don't think he'd have shouted "p***" or "n*****" as they are clearly off limits, whereas "Jap" seems more an abbreviation (Brit, Aussie etc). See all the examples The Sun themselves have used "Jap" in headlines. Will they be retrospectively punished for printing these slurs?

Is there a reason this thread is 33 pages long or is it simply debate around the original headline?

33 pages is worryingly long on first viewing.

Personal opinion on the matter is that he's been an idiot but nothing more and this has been blown out of proportion. Certainly not on the same level as the sex tape, which I fear some people might suggest. 

It seems like there are a lot of white English folks on this thread who don't realize that it's not up to them to determine what's derogatory toward another group.

I do understand, however, that many may not have much experience with the word "jap," the history that surrounds it, and how those with East Asian ethnicity take to being called that word.

The facts about the word have been outlined in many posts in this thread. We're all entitled to our own opinions, not our own facts-- even if those facts take us out of our comfort zones.

Vardy's existence and rise to the Premier League are hardscrabble as hell. He's a fighter. But I'm sure he's a decent guy. Looks like he was ticked off, lashed out, and used a catch-all phrase to call out the fella that made him angry. I'm sure the guy taking the heat from Vardy was of East Asian ethnicity but who knows if he was actually Japanese.

I'm glad Vardy has already apologized for that night. As vague as the apology was, it's better than what we've seen from other players. I'm confident that Vardy will learn from this and be better for it; I hope others can take a few lessons from this incident as well.

But Jap is?

EnNvvGE.png

If Vardy is accountable for using this word, then The Sun should be too.

Not arguing the sun needs to sort itself out, but it is a racist term.

Is there a reason this thread is 33 pages long or is it simply debate around the original headline?

33 pages is worryingly long on first viewing.

Personal opinion on the matter is that he's been an idiot but nothing more and this has been blown out of proportion. Certainly not on the same level as the sex tape, which I fear some people might suggest. 

32 pages is an argument on whether Jap is a racist term or not - there's no developments beyond an apology.

Not arguing the sun needs to sort itself out, but it is a racist term.

32 pages is an argument on whether Jap is a racist term or not - there's no developments beyond an apology.

cheers Doc, saved me 20 mins there

Did anyone hear them talking about this on 5Live about 20 minutes ago? I heard one of them say that we sacked 3 recently and he'd like to see all offences treated equally by the owners. I only caught the end but it sounded like they were saying Vardy should be sacked.

Heard a comparison between Vardy and Malky Mackay aswell.

How's about fack off.

If you actually look in the dictionary, the definition of "Jap"  is an abbreviation of Japanese, as i thought.

Doesn`t say anything about being a racist term in any way.

Vardy was guilty of being a knob, end of, slap his wrist and move on!

agreed col, i got banned for calling finnegan a welsh nob head and then later for posting a woman in a bikini yet you can be as racist as you bloody well like!

in fact pretty sure una got banned for saying schlupp reminded him of ashley cole because someone deemed that racist lol, yet DT can use any word he wants and we just roll with it. strange.

DT bought the forum imo

If you actually look in the dictionary, the definition of "Jap" is an abbreviation of Japanese, as i thought.

Why don't you go try out the word on an East Asian person then?

If you actually look in the dictionary, the definition of "Jap"  is an abbreviation of Japanese, as i thought.

Was your dictionary printed in the 50s?

It is a racist term though, it was a massively derogatory term used by the americans towards the japanese in WWII; given Vardy isn't a middle age american, it'd be fair to assume Vardy was ignorant of that and just thought it was like Brit, Aussie or Swede (if he even said it, and the tap is inconclusive); but you're right to say the sun haven't exactly coated themselves in glory.

British soldiers also used it, GIs tended to use Nip, shortened from nipponese.

The Japanes hated nip far more.

One thing that never gets mentioned in these slurs, or for some so called Racist vocabulary, We are What we are, we are anglo saxon/Norman ancestory, we have been abbreviating for 100s of years, we are lazy speakers, especially on the streets.

Paki was normal, then became a slur due to racial tensions.

Nip, Jap from many are not meant to be used as a slur, how would , how could English joe bloggs know the receivers might take it wrong, why should we be educated to understand others feelings, and sometimes forced to accept others cultural etiquette, when no offensive thoughts are intended.There are obvious derogatary words, used in disdain for the receiver.

abbreviating another nations people,or using words like tommy, taffy etc imo should never be considered racist or derogatory.

Especially if it is not mis-using our own language. Another strong point in our own character...we just dont give a damn, why should we then confuse ourselves into ignorance.

Racist comments I detest, many foreigners comming into our country including African, and Asians carry a far deeper racial hatred than what many West European nations can imagine .In fact even in our slave trade business and attrocities, we never murdered as a nation on Racist terms. The Scottish /Irish wars were nationalistic but not racist .

Slavery we didnt create or invent it, we made a better business out of it.Racism was not in the ranks just in the higher order of

the societies.These upper class sh#t treated their own own lower classes not any better.In fact The WC often helped the slaves to escape....The Arabs, Chinese, Persians Africans sold their own as slaves for 1000s of years and still do.....l

I insult people who deserve to be insulted, but they're general insults like ****puffin rather than racial or ableist, sexist or homophobic slurs

So names like window licker, retard and other disabled associated insults that you and others use are different than calling someone a gay twat or a Jap are they?

In the phoney modern media created pc world that may be so, but not in the real world.

British soldiers also used it, GIs tended to use Nip, shortened from nipponese.

The Japanes hated nip far more.

Nip was common during the war, but more so with the british than the americans - they were the ones who led with Jap as a slur rather than the colloquialism for Japanese, particularly in the propaganda posters (don't forget the US were dragged into it by the Japanese, specifically the attack on Pearl Harbour), and Jap has generally survived more than Nip - the latter is still an offensive slur, but to draw comparisons to two words DT used earlier, it's closer to coon than N*gger, since the latter has remained in use while the former is more antiquated. 

Why don't you go try out the word on an East Asian person then?

Why would you - unless he/she was Japanese?

The word is simply an abbreviation of Japanese or the diminutive form of Japan or Japanese. Some people on here claim that it is a racist term, but they haven't explained why they believe that it is (apart from some absurd nonsense about American usage in PoW camps - when everyone knows that Americans use a different term and we are not Americans). It seems that some people have taken it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of the people of a nation without providing any evidence whatsoever as to why they should be offended. If it IS a racist slur - what does it mean? If you cannot provide the meaning of the negative connotation of the word as regards race, it is simply race-related description and not racist. 'Paki' on the other hand has a long history of negative connotations and meanings, but 'Jap' does not and has not....it is merely somewhat crude in its usage (from an aesthetic and poetic point of view) and is probably evidence of ignorance, poor education and/or a certain degree of insensitivity (not to mention drunkenness), but most assuredly not racist...

Why would you - unless he/she was Japanese?

The word is simply an abbreviation of Japanese or the diminutive form of Japan or Japanese. Some people on here claim that it is a racist term, but they haven't explained why they believe that it is (apart from some absurd nonsense about American usage in PoW camps - when everyone knows that Americans use a different term and we are not Americans). It seems that some people have taken it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of the people of a nation without providing any evidence whatsoever as to why they should be offended. If it IS a racist slur - what does it mean? If you cannot provide the meaning of the negative connotation of the word as regards race, it is simply race-related description and not racist. 'Paki' on the other hand has a long history of negative connotations and meanings, but 'Jap' does not and has not....it is merely somewhat crude in its usage (from an aesthetic and poetic point of view) and is probably evidence of ignorance, poor education and/or a certain degree of insensitivity (not to mention drunkenness), but most assuredly not racist...

Oh ffs - it's a term generally regarded by the Japanese as derogatory to them, as a result of the Americans using it in a derogatory manner about them. That we're not American and it's not a common term here doesn't mean it's not racist, it just means the use is more likely to be out of ignorance than a genuine attempt to be racist. But, there's the separate issue of the guy reportedly being Chinese, and calling a Chinese person Japanese is racist.

Archived