Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Yuto Nagatomo

Don't be silly, the club is not buying Japanese players to appeal to a Thai market.  Makes as much sense as the club buying German players to appeal to the French market!!  If he is to be bought it will be because the Manager and DOF want him to play.  I would suggest he will be ahead of De Laet eventually.

Who said the Thai market? There's no denying that signing big name Asian players builds a profile there - look at the attention we're getting in Japan because of Okazaki (before he arrived, could many Japanese people tell you where Leicester was?)

i don't know if he's good or bad but it does seem more of a business decision rather than a football one. A squad player who also increases the Asian profile of the Club. That market is huge and if we can tap into it then the it can only be good for the Football Club and the business.

I don't know about that, from what I can tell, he's clearly an upgrade on both De Laet and particularly Simpson. Plus, he can play on both sides if required.

Of course, the Japanese fanbase would grow even stronger than it actually is. We'd be one of the few clubs with two Japanese players in the same team.

Do we know if Nagatomo had a good spell under Ranieri at Inter? Played regularly, looked decent etc.

For a confidence booster could that Inter fan not answer please. :ph34r:  

he had a good spell. Always started both in CL and league, scored 2 goals, had 5 assist (one in Champions League)

I'm a Leicester sympathizer from Italy, I registered just to say: because one Inter fan dismisses him, it doesn't mean that it's nothing more than a personal point of view.

Most of Inter and Milan fans are just bunch of whiners because their teams have become trash, so they go out seeking scapegoats, and usually asian players are the perfect targets (and it's not just them though).

Trust the actual facts. One fact is that Nagatomo always played under every single coach no matter what competitors he had. The only exception is Mancini, but when Mancini joined Inter, he was injured and then fell out ot favor.

Asian players have a really, really hard time in Italy, prejudice is strong. For example, Honda was top scorer with Milan last year in Serie A until november before he went to the asian cup. When he went missing, Milan started to not have results anymore and when he came back the team was a mess, and he suffered from that too (he still managed some MVP performances like against Rome)

Hilariously, today most Milan fans would consider him trash, except the fact that every single coach in Milan still uses him even though fans pretend to know better.

Nagatomo had a truly great season under Mazzarri in 13/14 (5 goals, 9 assists between EL and Serie A),  and good seasons under Gasperini\Ranieri and Leonardo. He was bad in 12/13... just like the rest of the team. Last year, he was often injured, especially when Mancini came .

When he joined Inter, he was nothing more than a backup to Chivu but he got more and more playtime, until he stole his place and even played in Champions League.

He's a good player, which is why he has generated interest in a lot of clubs (moves to Sampdoria and Genoa were refused earlier this summer by the player and Inter).

Honestly I don't think this transfer will happen. There's too little time and I think he's aiming at running out his contract at Inter so he'll have more choice.

Who said the Thai market? There's no denying that signing big name Asian players builds a profile there - look at the attention we're getting in Japan because of Okazaki (before he arrived, could many Japanese people tell you where Leicester was?)

Again, there is no way the club is buying a player to appeal to any market including the Asian market.  Would you say the same thing if it was a South African for appeal to the African market or a Colombian for the South American market, no, it is a racist thought because we have Thai owners that you assume they want to appeal to an Asian market.  Crap!!  Players are being bought to build a squad. He has played most of his professional career in Italy, so maybe it is to get lot's of Inter fans to follow us?  get real.

Again, there is no way the club is buying a player to appeal to any market including the Asian market.  Would you say the same thing if it was a South African for appeal to the African market or a Colombian for the South American market, no, it is a racist thought because we have Thai owners that you assume they want to appeal to an Asian market.  Crap!!  Players are being bought to build a squad. He has played most of his professional career in Italy, so maybe it is to get lot's of Inter fans to follow us?  get real.

Except the Asian market is one that a lot of top clubs target because it is so lucrative. I don't assume they want to appeal to the asian market because they're thai, but rather because they're businessmen with at least an ounce of sense between them. 

Except the Asian market is one that a lot of top clubs target because it is so lucrative. I don't assume they want to appeal to the asian market because they're thai, but rather because they're businessmen with at least an ounce of sense between them. 

There is no such thing as "the Asian market".

You can read a bit about this here

There is no such thing as "the Asian market".

You can read a bit about this here

Did you actually read that? It acknowledges that marketing in Asian countries is commercially viable and that one of the best ways is to have a star player from that country in your side...

Did you actually read that? It acknowledges that marketing in Asian countries is commercially viable and that one of the best ways is to have a star player from that country in your side...

Of course I read that, I even had the full discussion.

If you read my post, the intention was not to dismiss that there is business to be made in Asia. Otherwise, nobody would make tours in Asia.

I said that there is no such thing as the asian market

The research concluded that every asian country has distinct markets, with completely different consumers and different needs. Buying a japanese players might attract a few japanese fans to the club, and that's it. Buying two japanese players seems hardly a move that has a correlation with marketing and more with a manager's personal choice.

It also does not say what you just posted. It merely says

"in all three countries the clubs with an appropriate native player in their squad were more likely to be supported by fans.

Otherwise, the presence of a specific international ‘star’ player in the squad was a motivator for fans. "

Infact, when it talks about Asia as a whole it says:

European football clubs should be careful not to employ a generic approach to marketing themselves in Asia

Clubs must continue to build their profile and image in Asia e.g. by signing high quality, globally recognisable players

If you want to appeal to the Asian market, signing Neymar will make a better difference than signing Nagatomo, believe me. The "Asian profile of the Club" you spoke of, does not exist.

Don't be silly, the club is not buying Japanese players to appeal to a Thai market. Makes as much sense as the club buying German players to appeal to the French market!! If he is to be bought it will be because the Manager and DOF want him to play. I would suggest he will be ahead of De Laet eventually.

Is he able to play today? De laet having a stinker!!

Italian boss Ranieri wants Dante to link up with Inter Milan’s Japan defender Yuto ­Nagatomo.

Premier League rivals Norwich City and West Brom as well as Turkish giants Galatasaray were interested in luring the 28-year-old full-back from the San Siro but Ranieri has agreed a £3million fee for Nagatomo, who will sign a three-year, £40,000-a-week deal.

Ranieri worked with Nagatomo during his six-month spell at the San Siro.

daily mirror

Of course I read that, I even had the full discussion.

If you read my post, the intention was not to dismiss that there is business to be made in Asia. Otherwise, nobody would make tours in Asia.

I said that there is no such thing as the asian market

The research concluded that every asian country has distinct markets, with completely different consumers and different needs. Buying a japanese players might attract a few japanese fans to the club, and that's it. Buying two japanese players seems hardly a move that has a correlation with marketing and more with a manager's personal choice.

It also does not say what you just posted. It merely says

"in all three countries the clubs with an appropriate native player in their squad were more likely to be supported by fans.

Otherwise, the presence of a specific international ‘star’ player in the squad was a motivator for fans. "

Infact, when it talks about Asia as a whole it says:

European football clubs should be careful not to employ a generic approach to marketing themselves in Asia

Clubs must continue to build their profile and image in Asia e.g. by signing high quality, globally recognisable players

If you want to appeal to the Asian market, signing Neymar will make a better difference than signing Nagatomo, believe me. The "Asian profile of the Club" you spoke of, does not exist.

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not really correct is it?  That link you posted even uses the term "Asian market" as a legit term.  Obviously you need to tailor your approach a bit from country to country - it's not uncommon for companies to treat "Europe" as one market and then each individual country as a sub-market with its own intricacies, likewise for USA as a whole and its individual states.  You're basically saying to do the same with Asia instead of assuming they're all the same, which I don't think anyone's done anyway tbf.

Don't be silly, the club is not buying Japanese players to appeal to a Thai market.  Makes as much sense as the club buying German players to appeal to the French market!!  If he is to be bought it will be because the Manager and DOF want him to play.  I would suggest he will be ahead of De Laet eventually.

I'm sure the owners are looking to increase the profile of the club in the far east in general, not just Thailand.

Signing players from the far east will do that.

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not really correct is it?  That link you posted even uses the term "Asian market" as a legit term.  Obviously you need to tailor your approach a bit from country to country - it's not uncommon for companies to treat "Europe" as one market and then each individual country as a sub-market with its own intricacies, likewise for USA as a whole and its individual states.  You're basically saying to do the same with Asia instead of assuming they're all the same, which I don't think anyone's done anyway tbf.

He uses the term Asian market exactly to explain how it is wrongly considered a single entity. The main conclusion of the research is Not that you "need to tailor your approach a bit", but that you have to treat every asian state as a completely different entity with different needs.

And you probably need to read the posts here a little better if you think that nobody's done that, because every time the word "asian market" is used is a mistake in the first place. So no, these players are not signed to appeal to a market that doesn't even exist as a single entity.

Again, let me more clear and straight so we get to the point: signing Okazaki and\or Nagatomo has no impact whatsoever in "the Asian Market". Nobody in China cares. Nobody in Korea cares. Nobody in Thailand cares.

The only impact it can have is gaining a few fans in the japanese market. And, of course, one would have to be stupid to think that it's a business decision before being a sporting decision. Both players are obviously plenty of good enough to play in Leicester.

He's likely not coming to Leicester anyway.

He uses the term Asian market exactly to explain how it is wrongly considered a single entity. The main conclusion of the research is Not that you "need to tailor your approach a bit", but that you have to treat every asian state as a completely different entity with different needs.

And you probably need to read the posts here a little better if you think that nobody's done that, because every time the word "asian market" is used is a mistake in the first place. So no, these players are not signed to appeal to a market that doesn't even exist as a single entity.

Again, let me more clear and straight so we get to the point: signing Okazaki and\or Nagatomo has no impact whatsoever in "the Asian Market". Nobody in China cares. Nobody in Korea cares. Nobody in Thailand cares.

The only impact it can have is gaining a few fans in the japanese market. And, of course, one would have to be stupid to think that it's a business decision before being a sporting decision. Both players are obviously plenty of good enough to play in Leicester.

He's likely not coming to Leicester anyway.

And you quote:

As regards the specific motives of fans, in all three countries the clubs with an appropriate native player in their squad were more likely to be supported by fans. Otherwise, the presence of a specific international ‘star’ player in the squad was an motivator for fans. In each country, specific and different motives characterised team support; in China for example, history and prior knowledge were important determinants of team support whereas in South Korea associations with fashionability and glamour were observed as being more important. Fans in all three countries exhibited some significant common characteristics, notably that fans wanted to be as close as possible to their normally geographically remote icons. Thus, during activities such as tour games, fans expressed a desire to be close to players of their favourite team and to have as much information as possible about ‘their’ team and its players. In addition, fans expressed a desire for their favourite clubs to engage with them rather than keep them isolated or remote from the team or its players.

You might want to get your essays proofread btw, quite a few grammatical errors in there.

To be fair the point I'm making applies more to things like music, consumables, electrical goods, cars etc.  So although you're perfectly correct to say that football clubs shouldn't treat all Asian countries as one singular mass, you're also perfectly wrong to say there's no such thing as an Asian market because there demonstrably is, just as there's a European one, a South-American one, etc etc.  All it means is a geographical area where business is being conducted en masse.  Nothing to get hung up about.

http://www.sempreinter.com/2015/08/30/sky-siqueira-off-the-market-yuto-to-leicester/

Conflicting reports out there. This one says it might go to the wire.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/30/leicester-city-manager-claudio-ranieri-denies-any-interest-in-si/

This one quotes CR, saying there's nothing in the romour.

He's on the bench for Inter tonight.

Personally I think we need another designated left back, an international as well. If you look at our squad; we have 2 right backs (I don't personally like Simpson, but he's still here, so hey-ho!) and only Fuchs at LB ( Schlupp is a left wing-back/left wing). So I think he would be very welcome, and can cover both RB and LB if we continue to play 4-4-2.

Also, he fits the bill for the owners wanting more Asians in the squad. Would be a good signing imo. Still a decent age too.

Oh dear.

Yes, there are some things in common, and one of them is the fact that a player from that country makes the club more likely to be supported. So, this confirms exactly what I said before:

signing Okazaki and\or Nagatomo has no impact whatsoever in "the Asian Market". Nobody in China cares. Nobody in Korea cares. Nobody in Thailand cares.

In the part that you highlighted later, it is talking about completely different things such as tour games working in every country (wow, surprising !) so I have no idea why you would highlight that *shrugs*

To be fair the point I'm making applies more to things like music, consumables, electrical goods, cars etc.  So although you're perfectly correct to say that football clubs shouldn't treat all Asian countries as one singular mass, you're also perfectly wrong to say there's no such thing as an Asian market because there demonstrably is, just as there's a European one, a South-American one, etc etc.  All it means is a geographical area where business is being conducted en masse.  Nothing to get hung up about.

Again, the point of the discussion here is the idea that buying an asian player helps 'the asian market'. And no, it has no impact on the asian market as a whole. And yes, the point you're making works for goods, very much less for this case.

And you quote:

You might want to get your essays proofread btw, quite a few grammatical errors in there.

Are you referring to the document? If so, obviously it's not mine, no idea who summed it up. If you're talking about my posts read the first again, because as I said, I'm not english.

Archived