Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Football Stadiums Abroad

Thought this might be an interesting topic for people to mention stadiums they've visited and to help out those who are looking to pick up a game whilst on holiday.

I myself had the fortune to be in Venice on the same weekend as a Venezia home game about 5 years ago - they were in Seria C I think. It pissed down all day, it was freezing, the stadium was miles away from all the posh touristy stuff in Venice and they lost 2-1, but they at least did a smashing hot chocolate at half time. There were also 3 very friendly elderly gentlman who enjoyed the fact I was a random ingliese with little to no italian that had come along to watch the game.

Anyway, to my main reason for starting this thread,,, I will be in Milan on the same weekend as the Milan vs Napoli game so will be hoping to get a ticket to that, but some guidance if available would be appreciated from anyone who's been to the San Siro before, namely;

* How / where did you get tickets. Seems I might be able to sort something online closer to the time

* Whats it like?

* General tips / pointers

Thought this might be an interesting topic for people to mention stadiums they've visited and to help out those who are looking to pick up a game whilst on holiday.

I myself had the fortune to be in Venice on the same weekend as a Venezia home game about 5 years ago - they were in Seria C I think. It pissed down all day, it was freezing, the stadium was miles away from all the posh touristy stuff in Venice and they lost 2-1, but they at least did a smashing hot chocolate at half time. There were also 3 very friendly elderly gentlman who enjoyed the fact I was a random ingliese with little to no italian that had come along to watch the game.

Anyway, to my main reason for starting this thread,,, I will be in Milan on the same weekend as the Milan vs Napoli game so will be hoping to get a ticket to that, but some guidance if available would be appreciated from anyone who's been to the San Siro before, namely;

* How / where did you get tickets. Seems I might be able to sort something online closer to the time

* Whats it like?

* General tips / pointers

Hi mate,

To get Milan tickets just go on their website and then you print them off and they get scanned at the gate. When is the match?

Tickets normally get released within 2 weeks of the match, You should easily get a ticket but be careful where you sit as I have been there 3 times and twice my view was obstructed. Avoid sitting near the big pillars at the top section as they have netting and plastic screens which obstruct your view.

If i can find where i sat for the Inter v Fiorentina match i would recommend them tickets, probably cost about £40 and were behind the goal. The first time i went i sat on the half way line on the first row of the second tier and the metal railings around the stadium obstructed my view.

If you need any more help give me a shout.

Yes, buy online. I have been over about eight times to watch Inter since 2002 and buying tickets is no problem. I always sit in the middle Rosso section. Metro (Lotto Fiera) takes you about a kilometre from the ground.

As they play on a Sunday, you can watch three premier league matches on the Saturday (I like the english pub just Torino, about 300 metres from the Duomo) and then go around the Brera district for a decent drink / meal.

If you want a top pizza where only mostly locals go check out Pomodoro Rosso (corny name!) right outside Moscova metro station. We always go there before the game for Sunday lunch.

I took the missus to Milan on our 30th back in 2002 and said would you mind if I checked out the San Siro. She couldn't understand why the metro was rammed. When we got there, I expressed surprise that there was a game on. A bit later I cam clean and said I had got two tickets as an anniversary present for her! She took it in good heart and we really enjoyed the game. Playing Udinese who went 1-0 down to an ealy Viera goal, but fought back to win 2-1 with two long range shots. My overriding memory is Inter launching long balls a la John Beck for the last 30 minutes to no avail.

You will love it.

Eindhoven

Monchengladbach

Cologne

They're the only grounds in Europe I have been to, to watch games. Eindhoven's was absolutely amazing, one of the best grounds I have ever been to. 

Really hoping Liverpool get Ajax in our Europa League group tomorrow, doubt I will be able to get hold of a ticket but going to Amsterdam with thousands of Liverpool fans sounds absolutely brilliant. 

I took the missus to Milan on our 30th back in 2002 and said would you mind if I checked out the San Siro. She couldn't understand why the metro was rammed. When we got there, I expressed surprise that there was a game on. A bit later I cam clean and said I had got two tickets as an anniversary present for her!

Ha! I had a similar idea way back. 1988 v Ipswich at Filbert Street. My girlfriend's birthday. She was an Ipswich fan - perfect timing! In the days before the game I managed to hide the fact that the game was on. About 2 pm on Saturday I said 'Let's go into town.' Then we got off the 49 bus near the ground and I said 'Oh - I've just got to do something at the ground."   We went to the double decker turnstiles and I said "I've just got to pick something up from a guy inside the ground". We were sitting in the stand at about 2.40 and she still hadn't twigged. I think it was the chants of the Ipswich fans that finally gave it away.

Anyway, Ipswich won 1-0. I think it was Dalian Atkinson who scored.

Would have been a pretty miserable day for her if we'd won 4-0 or something.

I have to say that the Olympiastadion in Berlin is one of the greatest stadia I've seen. Aesthetically pleasing, so much history and bags of character. I really do want to go back to Berlin to catch a game there, preferably if Bochum are drawn at Hertha away in the DFB Pokal. :D

FC Wacker Innsbruck

SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Bayern Munich & 1860 Munich

VfL Bochum

Stuttgart

St Pauli

Hannover

Union Berlin

Alemannia Achen

Borussia Monchengladbach

OFI Crete

Bulgarian National Stadium for CSKA Sofia

If anyone needs any advice on these grounds don't ask me as I was shit faced for every one. 

Nou Camp twice both of which were Champions League games (Copenhagen and Victoria Plezen), great atmosphere and seated 3 rows back behind the goal cost 30 and 33 euros respectively.

We were actually staying in Salou and although return train is only 17 euros, last train at 2130 so had to get additional tickets for the scheduled 'Hotels to Stadium and back' bus which was 50 euros, bit steep but well worth it.

Only down side was that the only Beer on sale in the ground (as of last visit) was Non-Alcoholic Amstel (not too disimilar to what is sold on tap down the KP).

Done a few foreign stadiums other than San Siro.

Bernabeu was great, easy to get to and some how they saw the need to have oudoor heaters on in November which was a nice touch.

Went to Euro 2012 and got to Donetsk, Kiev and Kharkiv but I'm guessing not many people are planning visits to them anymore. Which is a shame about Donestsk and Kiev and they were great stadiums/cities, Not so much Kharkiv which was an absolute shit pit summed up by me finding a bloke asleep on a bench who had pissed himself. Think I actually spoke to another Leicester fan at the train station there but god knows.

Been to St Etienne and Lyon in France as well but that was a while back.

Cheers Costock-Fox / BoyJones - exactly what I was looking for.

Any idea where the ultra's sit... want to try and avoid them if at all possible, I'm a lover of football not a fighter!

Won't be any fighting in the Ultras section as the away end is the opposite stand. 

If I was going to AC the Ultras curve is exactly where I'd be heading. 

ADO Den Haag - But I went with a Season ticket holder so they did all the ground work for getting tickets, transport etc.

Excelsior Rotterdam- But the media officer got us tickets, so had use of directors/players lounge and it was before they got promotion to the top flight, so buying tickets on the gate would have been no problem, not sure about now, hoping to go back out if Feb to do both grounds again and hopefully get 1 new game in as well on the sunday as Excelsior play friday night so 3 games in 3 days is possible.

Cheers Costock-Fox / BoyJones - exactly what I was looking for.

Any idea where the ultra's sit... want to try and avoid them if at all possible, I'm a lover of football not a fighter!

Not sure which end but they wont be fighting with each other and like AndWhat said the away fans are in the gods down the other end. I found the Milan crowds pretty tame compared to Atalanta, they are nuts and against Roma things got pretty ugly.

Shame they arent playing when you are near as the atmosphere there was miles better than Milan.

Velez Sarsfield - Buenos Aires

Mestalla - Valencia

Osasuna

Espanyol

Gdansk

Ghent

I'm actually going to Frankfurt in a few weeks, any advice on getting tickets for them, do they sell out typically or can a group of 6-8 rock up and buy tickets together on the gate?

Archived