Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Football Stadiums Abroad

Guest Cujek

Thinking of going to watch Esteban at Olympiacos vs Platanias on sept 12th as im on holiday in rhodes, its a 1 hour flight to athens, I will let you know if my girlfriend lets me get away with it, doubtful.

* How / where did you get tickets. Seems I might be able to sort something online closer to the time
Vicente Calderon - Atletico Madrid vs Malaga. My brother got tickets through e-mail I think arranged a few weeks before we went. Also did a tour the day before which was good enough.

* Whats it like?

Superb. Atmosphere was fairly special and significantly better than any English stadium I've been to. Loved the game. 

* General tips / pointers 

I didn't arrange the tickets so can't really provide pointers on this. But transport-wise it's very easy to get to. They have a Metro system in Madrid which is easy enough to navigate around. Much like Tube in London. 

Whilst in Spain on same trip did the stadium tours for Santiago Bernabeu and Camp Nou. Both fabulous stadiums and easy to buy tickets on the day for it. 

Been to quite a few in Italy and former Yugoslavia, Maksimir and Poljud being the favourites. I've never been to San Siro, was thinking of trying to get tickets for their match with Palermo in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to do a few matches in Greece, might try and see the bald genius for Olympiacos this season. I also really want to do an Istanbul derby. People say it's scary but I've seen King's Lynn play away at Wisbech.

The Nou Camp although is was empty and I was on a guided tour

The day we did the Nou Camp guided tour 20 years ago there was a Jehovas Witness conference on. 70,000 of them from all over Spain descended on the stadium for the day. Remember a Nativity play happening in the centre circle. Bizarre.

Camp Nou was a bit disappointing actually. It really needs a revamp, and the atmosphere is a bit flat if it isn't an El Clasico or other big match.

I agree, I was discussing this with one of my friends who recently got back from Madrid and he liked that the Nou Camp was a little run down as it doesn't have the commercial feel the Bernabéu does I felt though for how big a club Barca are they could tidy it up a little!

So I decided to travel during the international break which is bad timing I was hoping to catch a Hertha Berlin or Ajax game, maybe they'll be a third tier German game on somewhere in or around Berlin, I'll visit the Olympiastadion and Amsterdam arena just a shame it's not a match day

I agree, I was discussing this with one of my friends who recently got back from Madrid and he liked that the Nou Camp was a little run down as it doesn't have the commercial feel the Bernabéu does I felt though for how big a club Barca are they could tidy it up a little!

So I decided to travel during the international break which is bad timing I was hoping to catch a Hertha Berlin or Ajax game, maybe they'll be a third tier German game on somewhere in or around Berlin, I'll visit the Olympiastadion and Amsterdam arena just a shame it's not a match day

There's a fair few Berlin clubs below the third tier. Expect nice beer but not great football. The Olympiastadion is feel worth a tour. History oozes out of the place and you'll see the entire complex.

Bit of a passion of mine this...

Olympiastadion Berlin and Munich

Allianz Arena

Westfalenstadion

Paul-Janes-Stadion

Rhein-Energie Stadion

Esprit Arena

Temporary Düsseldorf stadium whilst they were hosting Eurovision at Esprit

Parc des Princes

Veltins Arena

Nou Camp

BayArena

Bernebeu

Amsterdam ArenA

Velodrome Marseille

Salvador

Recife

Natal

Porto Alegre (Internacional's stadium)

Turk Telekom Arena

Rewirpowerstadion

Volkswagen Arena

Rote Erde Dortmund

Alte Försterei

Benteler Arena Paderborn

Borussia Park

Commerzbank Arena

Schwarzwald Stadion Freiburg

St Jakub's Park

Letzigrund Zürich

Millerntor Stadion

Real Betis - went in Easter. 30 degrees at midday kickoff for the Seville derby. Nearly melted and then drank all evening while watching the famous Liverpool - Man City (we do not let this slip) game in the local pub. The owner went home to get his tv box just so we could watch it.

Lyon - went in February. The complete opposite. Absolutely ****ing freezing and only matched by going to Sunderland games on cold midweek nights.

Both great atmospheres and would recommend to anyone although Lyon are moving to a new stadium soon that'll be ready for the Euros.

Parc Des Princes - They used to have old ladies show you to your seat, now they've got pretty attractive students doing it. Don't forget to tip them a couple of euros or you'll get stared down.

Amsterdam Arena - Like a goddamn green house when they close the roof on that bastard.

The most enjoyable thing about seeing games abroad is going without a ticket and having to pick one up on the day. You get to speak to local people, see more of the city and generally have a rollockin' adventure, which 95% of the time ends up with you finding a ticket for the game. Anyway -here's my list:

Mostly following England in the Hoddle / Keegan / Sven era (and taking in a few other games on the way)

France:

10 World Cup Stadiums 1998

Belgium:

Bruges, Heysel, Charleroi   Euro 2000

Holland:

Eindhoven, Ajax   Euro 2000

Japan:

7 world cup stadiums 2002

Plus:

Italy:   Juve, San Siro, Genoa, Lazio, Bologna, Piacenza, Parma

Czech Republic:  Sparta Prague

Impressive list C-man. Which ones the most memorable so far?

I've always fancied going Marseille's Velodrome and it looks even more impressive now they've done work on it for the Euros.

I have to say Westfalenstadion is my favourite, by a mile. I'm fairly sure nothing in watching football comes close to standing on the Südtribüne there.

Turk Telekom was hostile, going as an away fan, but slightly disappointing as many home fans were (and still are) protesting about the ID card system in Turkey. Didn't help the atmosphere that Dortmund absolutely panned Gala 4-0 as well. Was an experience getting pelted with boiling water though lol

Stadion an der Alte Försterei, home of Union Berlin was incredible. Went at Christmas in the snow so the whole surrounding forest was covered - was a sight. The history that comes with the stadium is fantastic too and on the day both sets of fans were protesting against proposed security papers of DFL so stood silent for the first 12:12 minutes and seconds of the game. I will never forget seeing a team celebrate a goal silently lol

Velodrome Marseille was under re-development at the time I went. It was good but in a proper shit part of town and given the city in general is an absolute dump that's not a particularly nice endorsement. Great atmosphere though. Oh and security for away fans was an absolute joke, took over an hour to get through the turnstiles.

Pretty sure the Milan Ultras sit in the Middle tier of the Curva Sud.

They have the blue end (when you get your tickets it'll make sense), but it's fine to sit either side of them if you want to enjoy some noise. They away fans, such as there ever is, will be sat about a mile away in the third tier behind the other goal. Currently the curva sud is protesting against galliani and sometimes shut a whole block down but that more of a curiosity then anything.

Also, don't forget your passport or you won't get in.

Also there's now a metro station that takes you straight to the ground for a euro fifty. Which is pretty dandy.

They have the blue end (when you get your tickets it'll make sense), but it's fine to sit either side of them if you want to enjoy some noise. They away fans, such as there ever is, will be sat about a mile away in the third tier behind the other goal. Currently the curva sud is protesting against galliani and sometimes shut a whole block down but that more of a curiosity then anything.

Also, don't forget your passport or you won't get in.

Also there's now a metro station that takes you straight to the ground for a euro fifty. Which is pretty dandy.

Forgot about that!

Need some information if anybody can help me.

Got my 30th coming up in December this year and was looking at going away with around 10 people to watch a football game at one of the big European clubs, Real,Barca, Bayern, PSG, Milan,Inter for example.

What i need to know is how do i go about getting around 10 tickets with seats together preferably from one of these clubs? Flights and hotels I can book at a different time, just need to figure out how to get the tickets.

Any help much appreciated!

Archived