Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

2 hours ago, City1884 said:

Met Paul Gasciogne a few months ago, and let’s just say I now believe in never meeting your heroes!

Watching him drinking Gin straight from the bottle at 6am was (ironically) a very sobering experience for me.

He was friendly enough, but seeing him doing that, and listening to some of the things he talked about, I felt 50-50 sorry for him, and disappointed in him.

He’ll always be the best natural footballer I ever watched, and be a hero from on the pitch, but definitely no longer a hero off it unfortunately. 

I was lucky to be in corporate hospitality for the Watford game just before Xmas and Gazza was few boxes down from us. Every time I went to the loo or took my boy there, Gazza was around and going in and out of the cubicles on a regular basis. He may have had the trots for all I know but I noticed him also going out the fire exit doors on a couple of occasions looking a bit sheepish. No idea what he was up to but it all appeared a bit suspicious.   

He was quite happy to pose for photos in the corridors but he looked like death warmed up. I kept telling my young boy what a legend he was but he looked like an old drunk/druggie to me. Really sad to see...

15 minutes ago, Swiss_tony said:

Mark Wallington used to  live up the road from me in East Goscote. Quiet and friendly when i  asked for an autograph.

His mrs told us he wasn’t in as he we watched him having a massage through his front window. lol 

Edited by Vlad the Fox

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Will never forget the time I met Steve Walsh during a lock in at some Italian restaurant where my mates dad worked.

We were riding high in the premier league at the time and about to secure a place in the FA Cup semi final, because getting passed Wycombe in the quarters would be a doddle. It was clear the dislike Walshy had for a certain Mr Peter Taylor and the convo I had with him I'll never forget.

He said, almost word for word, " Listen mate, I love Leicester more than anyone, I'm a fan just as much as you are, but things are rotten behind the scenes. Things are not good and it'll come out on the pitch sooner rather than later" he then went in to say "Even if we make it passed Wycombe, we're not making the final, and to be honest I can't see us beating Wycombe. And after that it'll all fall to pieces and we'll end up finishing 14th. No way we're qualifying for Europe under that clown"

Low and behold about a week later we crashed out of the FA Cup to Wycombe and went on a disastrous run and ended up finishing 13th (if I remember correctly) A year later we were relegated, went into administration and it took us over a decade to fully recover.

After a match one Saturday evening we were in a pub in town when one of my mates went off to the toilet, a few minutes later he came out the toilets with Steve Walsh and brought him over to our table to settle a football argument we were having amongst us. It must have been after the period you were talking about but he said that taylor didn’t want him down there and he’d been frozen out. No way to treat a legend. 

31 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I was lucky to be in corporate hospitality for the Watford game just before Xmas and Gazza was few boxes down from us. Every time I went to the loo or took my boy there, Gazza was around and going in and out of the cubicles on a regular basis. He may have had the trots for all I know but I noticed him also going out the fire exit doors on a couple of occasions looking a bit sheepish. No idea what he was up to but it all appeared a bit suspicious.   

He was quite happy to pose for photos in the corridors but he looked like death warmed up. I kept telling my young boy what a legend he was but he looked like an old drunk/druggie to me. Really sad to see...

went to the darts in Whitwick,when he played Phil Taylor a couple of months ago....He was a mess!

In 1985 my grandparents were at a dinner in LA and they found themselves chatting with none other than Jimmy Stewart and his wife! They must have got on well, as I'm told he said to his wife, "say wouldn't Ron and Nancy love to meet Ted and Pam"! They got invited to stay at some weeken retreat with Stewart, Reagan, and who knows would have been there, but it all got cancelled after Reagan had to stay in Washington to deal with some plane hijacking or something. Apparently that was one of the biggest disappointments of their lives, though they did have many other interesting meetings, such as my grandad giving Cary Grant a lift to his mums in Bristol for 5 weeks (as you do lol) ?

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 1

I was once working in a cafe in Melbourne in January. This bloke comes in who I’m certain I know and I’m trying to place him. So I start asking all sorts of really random questions about how long he’s been in Australia and what he did for work etc. 

The guy is happily telling me he’s retired and does some media work now. I know a few lads who do camera work and some things like that so I start rattling of these names asking if he knows them. He’s looking at me and shaking his head and goes to sit down.

anyway I turn to the lad I’m working with and say, I know that guy over there I just can’t place him. I think we’ve been for a beer or we have friends in common.

he turns to me and says you dick that’s Jim Courier

I remember being about 10, watching the Aussies take on leicester in a warm up match at grace road. Although I liked cricket, I didn't really know who anyone was. A player had just got out and I was stood in front of the pavilion and thrust my autograph book at him and he walked straight past me. I went back to my family in the members stand crying my eyes out because this player that I didn't know, didn't sign my book. About an hour later he appeared in the members stand, it was Ponting. He was looking for me and came over and was extremely apologetic to my mum and sat with us chatting for a bit, kept referring to me as his mate, and signed my book. At the end of the day, we were leaving (the members stand used to be above the changing rooms), he saw me and called us all over. He got everyone to sign my book and take photos. I didn't really understand the significance of it all but needless to say my older brother was thoroughly star-struck. The next few days we went (I believe it may have been a 4 day practice) and he remembered me and referred to me as his mate the entire time and the other Aussies always said hi and took photos etc. 

A few years later they were back. At this time I knew a lot more about cricket and the players so wanted to go see them myself. And, for some reason Ponting remembered me. Saw me near the pavillion and was straight back into the "how are you mate" etcetc, asked me how my own cricket was getting on, and again took us to see the team, get autographs etc. Thinking back, it was nice how he was so fan-friendly considering he was captain and practising for the ashes but still took such time out. Would love to see a player go sit in the stands and talk to fans these days.

• Like 4