Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

About 5 years ago, I was invited by a client to a charity dinner at Old Trafford (just after Moyes was appointed) It was in aid of Crohn's & Colitis and hosted by fellow sufferers Darren Fletcher & Lewis Moddy and the compere was Jim Whyte from Sky TV (who just took the piss out of himself all night). 

All the United first team were there including Wayne and his wife Coleen but they were flanked by security so you couldn't really get close to them. There were loads of ex footballers there in support and I was lucky to have a chat with quite a few of them. My favorite was Chris Powell who was just as charming IRL as I thought he'd be and we had a good talk about his time at Leicester.

Lennon was O.K. (but well pissed) and spent most of his time propping up the bar with Walter Smith. Most of the 80's Man Utd players were there like Bryan Robson but all sat together drunk and weren't very approachable. Fletcher and Moody had time for everyone and we had a great discussion about how many times a day we each went to the bog lol

But the highlight was dancing with Alex McLeish. He was so drunk but so funny - top bloke. A great night and raised over £250k for charity (Olly Murs bid £50k for a game of golf with Giggs, Fletcher and Scholes :o)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

About 5 years ago, I was invited by a client to a charity dinner at Old Trafford (just after Moyes was appointed) It was in aid of Crohn's & Colitis and hosted by fellow sufferers Darren Fletcher & Lewis Moddy and the compere was Jim Whyte from Sky TV (who just took the piss out of himself all night). 

All the United first team were there including Wayne and his wife Coleen but they were flanked by security so you couldn't really get close to them. There were loads of ex footballers there in support and I was lucky to have a chat with quite a few of them. My favorite was Chris Powell who was just as charming IRL as I thought he'd be and we had a good talk about his time at Leicester.

Lennon was O.K. (but well pissed) and spent most of his time propping up the bar with Walter Smith. Most of the 80's Man Utd players were there like Bryan Robson but all sat together drunk and weren't very approachable. Fletcher and Moody had time for everyone and we had a great discussion about how many times a day we each went to the bog lol

But the highlight was dancing with Alex McLeish. He was so drunk but so funny - top bloke. A great night and raised over £250k for charity (Olly Murs bid £50k for a game of golf with Giggs, Fletcher and Scholes :o)

Alex McLeish is on my list of one of the top ten people I have ever spent a night out with. Wasn’t expecting him to be such a nice bloke. Funny, great company and defiantly not shy when it comes to getting a round in. 

• Like 1

Years ago, went to a Tina Turner concert in Birmingham, the ex had a relative who was playing in the band, so got free tickets. We were invited back to the hotel to meet the band which we did, most famous was John Miles. shame we didnt meet Tina Turner

Met Henry Cooper at some work do many years ago.

Have spoken to Danny Welbeck, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Tom O'conner (TV host), Kris Commons and Samantha Janus, all on the phone at work

1 hour ago, WestLothianFox said:

Met Henry Cooper at some work do many years ago.

I met him too when I was working as a waiter and still in my teens ...    I remember it was a black tie boxing event and the room wasn’t well lit ..   he had big scarred hooded eyebrows that shaded his eyes out completely...    he was fookin massive with big broad shoulders ..   I remember going up to him and asking for his autograph ...  he turned round and looked one scary fooker.  But then he did that alright son cockney voice with a big smile ...  what a nice bloke !

6 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

Just to add to my list....

In the last 8 days......

Olivia Colman - Really nice.

Richard E Grant - Would be OK if it wasn't for his wife.

Sting - Charming but you have to get him on a good day for him to be so.

You on the wind up ...

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I met him too when I was working as a waiter and still in my teens ...    I remember it was a black tie boxing event and the room wasn’t well lit ..   he had big scarred hooded eyebrows that shaded his eyes out completely...    he was fookin massive with big broad shoulders ..   I remember going up to him and asking for his autograph ...  he turned round and looked one scary fooker.  But then he did that alright son cockney voice with a big smile ...  what a nice bloke !

Did he smell of Brut aftershave?

1 hour ago, kezza1884 said:

Worked with Steve Walsh about 4 years ago with one of his business ventures for 6 months, nice bloke but definitely better at football than business :whistle:

Does he still own a restaurant around the Wigston area?

I played an exhibition frame of snooker last year against the 2015 world professional snooker champion Stuart Bingham. Professional referee and audience of about 75. I won the toss and elected to break. Got one other shot later in frame when Bingham broke down on about 40, missed and he cleared up with an 80+! 

Decent bloke, a bit shy, but down to earth and basically a normal person. Nicer bloke than Virgo who I met in 1977, but suppose he was young then and thought he was a good player. 

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

The most famous person I've ever met saw Iwan Roberts in West Malling. We helped each other cheat on a pub quiz that our two teams definitely finished bottom 2 in. 

No one is topping that.

Who was that famous person that saw him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Met Ian Marshall briefly in the Holiday Inn closest to KP Stadium in the Premier League winning season - he had obviously been watching the 2-2 draw with WBA that Tuesday night and was in the bar/foyer there. Took s picture of my mate I was with shaking his hand. He was totally down to earth as you'd expect any player from the O'Neill era to be!

6 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Who was that famous person that saw him?

Good attention to detail. Maybe it was Freudian suggestions our Iwan isn’t really famous. 

There he is in his y—fronts, one solitary tear running down his cheek, mining along to bros from a cassette where he’s taped it off the radio. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Good attention to detail. Maybe it was Freudian suggestions our Iwan isn’t really famous. 

There he is in his y—fronts, one solitary tear running down his cheek, mining along to bros from a cassette where he’s taped it off the radio. 

Not sure he’d be able to hear it down there ? 

3D2081E3-A0C5-44CC-9CF9-C66C5428A14B.jpeg

Edited by elvisfmcfly