Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

London to Leicester for Tuesday night games

Just wondering if anyone London-based can offer any advice on how they get from London to Tuesday night home matches. I've had a look for the upcoming Liverpool and West Brom games but the cheapest train ticket I've found (one way) is £68 because of it being peak time! Needless to say, that price is absolutely disgraceful given the distance of the journey.

I don't have a car so am pretty much restricted to train travel to get to the match and train offers the best chance of getting there on time leaving after 5pm because of work without having to take time off to get a much earlier (and more reasonably priced) train.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sometimes splitting the journey in half is cheaper than paying for whole of a journey. For an example, you can buy a ticket to say Luton then another ticket from Luton to London, it can work out cheaper.  This only works for some routes though so you will need to do your research.

Birmingham to London trains are usually cheap so if you are desperate, you can go to Birmingham and change there. 

Just wondering if anyone London-based can offer any advice on how they get from London to Tuesday night home matches. I've had a look for the upcoming Liverpool and West Brom games but the cheapest train ticket I've found (one way) is £68 because of it being peak time! Needless to say, that price is absolutely disgraceful given the distance of the journey.

I don't have a car so am pretty much restricted to train travel to get to the match and train offers the best chance of getting there on time leaving after 5pm because of work without having to take time off to get a much earlier (and more reasonably priced) train.

You won't get a cheap train on a weekday out of London before 7pm as its peak time, even paying in advance or going via Peterborough or Birmingham. National Express coaches take the best part of 3 hours as well. Having a rail card might save a bit but its gonna cost either way.

Getting to Leicester is expensive in the week, especially after 5pm. Book a ticket as early as possible, and if you can leave work slightly earlier than usual then you can sometimes get a reasonably priced ticket if you're able to leave St Pancras before 5pm.

The downside with advance purchase tickets is you're heavily out of pocket if the game gets moved. I'm in this situation for the Liverpool game in early Feb, which might still get moved for FA Cup 4th round. I bought my train ticket for this game a couple of weeks ago for £42 return.

Getting back to London is difficult because the last train leaves Leicester at 21.58, which means leaving before the final whistle and/or jogging the mile and a half from the KP to the station.

The recent Chelsea and Man City games I went by car but normally the wife needs the car so I'm at the mercy of the trains.

Try mega train.

I know it's the other way round but for spurs next week we are paying 8 quid to London. 15 quid back.

Megatrain are off peak only. You may have to finish work early (before 3pm) to have any chance of getting a cheap ticket

When I go London I go Leicester to Nuneaton then Nuneaton to Euston the price is normally vastly different

Go to Nuneaton and then change there. The difference in price between London/Leicester and London/Nuneaton is an absolute disgrace, but it's there to be taken advantage of. I've got to London and back from there for about £10 before.

Go to Nuneaton and then change there. The difference in price between London/Leicester and London/Nuneaton is an absolute disgrace, but it's there to be taken advantage of. I've got to London and back from there for about £10 before.

Last train on this route leaves Leicester at 2148 so means probably missing the last 10 mins of a 7.45 kick off

Sometimes splitting the journey in half is cheaper than paying for whole of a journey. For an example, you can buy a ticket to say Luton then another ticket from Luton to London, it can work out cheaper. This only works for some routes though so you will need to do your research.

Birmingham to London trains are usually cheap so if you are desperate, you can go to Birmingham and change there.

Use split ticketing website

Also if you're using East Midlands trains into St Pancras not only is it extortiate but the last train is 9.58 so you'd have to leave before the end or get a cab to the station.

It's embarrassing in this day and age that you can't get a train on a main route connecting two major cities past 10pm! Annoyingly you can get a train all the way until midnight the other way!

Kind of off subject but what sums EMT up is this summer I went to lords for the ashes but because I had to be there early and it was a weekday they were charging £80 from Kettering! I'm originally from Tamworth and my mate who I went with still lives there and he was getting an advance return for £14!! Tamworth is further away but on the west coast mainline into Euston, so I just stopped at his. Even with the petrol I saved £50

Joke

Last train on this route leaves Leicester at 2148 so means probably missing the last 10 mins of a 7.45 kick off

Book a train from Euston to Nuneaton and then after the match go Leicester to London.

16:46 from euston to nuneaton is currently £15 (get's in at 6pm) and then a single from nuneaton to leics which gets to leics about 6.50pm is about £5-7

Then go Leicester to St Pancras which is at 10Pm (mad rush to make that last train) £15.50

Job done £37 all in.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's a joke now I have to possibly fork out for a hotel cos I refuse to leave the game early

You should be able to make it to the station from a 7.45pm kick off in time for the last train. I did it after the Liverpool game and made it to the station with 5 mins to spare. No chance with an 8.00pm kick off.

Archived